Math software for PocketPC with SH3?

  • Lopez J.Manrique
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hello all,

      I am new at this world (PocketPCs). I've using HP
      calculators for years and I have bought a Hp
      Jornada525.

      After months of "math soft" searching for PocketPC I
      have found your website, with Maxima !!!. I would like
      to know with files I need to take to my Hp Jornada.
      English isn't my mother language and I have some
      problems to understand.. Need I console? What's the
      average speed of Maxima in PPC?

      I have mailed to Hp Calculators CAS creator, Mr.
      Bernard Parisse, about using maxx or similar for his
      Giac project. He said that your soft is C, not C++, so
      it's harder to port C++ soft to PPC. Ok, there is a
      great soft in C for math called Gp-Pari (I've seen
      you've talked about Scilab), that could be nice to
      port to PPC:
      http://www.parigp-home.de/

      Check B.Parisse project at:
      http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/

      I would like more info about installing Maxima and TeX
      in my Hp Jornada.

      Congratulations for your effort,

      =====
      Yahoo! Messenger: Comunicación instantánea gratis con tu gente -
      http://messenger.yahoo.es
    • Rainer Keuchel
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
        > After months of "math soft" searching for PocketPC I have found
        > your website, with Maxima !!!. I would like to know with files
        > I need to take to my Hp Jornada. English isn't my mother
        > language and I have some problems to understand.. Need I
        > console? What's the average speed of Maxima in PPC?

        You need the maxima package and the update of it and the latest celib.dll.
        You might want to use maxx or emacs.

        The speed is ok, only load-up takes some time (about 60 secs on a
        J720).

        > I have mailed to Hp Calculators CAS creator, Mr. Bernard
        > Parisse, about using maxx or similar for his Giac project. He
        > said that your soft is C, not C++, so it's harder to port C++
        > soft to PPC. Ok, there is a great soft in C for math called
        > Gp-Pari (I've seen you've talked about Scilab), that could be
        > nice to port to PPC: http://www.parigp-home.de/

        > Check B.Parisse project at:
        > http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/

        Well, this is in French. Can you give me links to the source code
        you want ported?

        > I would like more info about installing Maxima and TeX in my Hp
        > Jornada.

        Maybe Mr. CAHIER can give some instructions in French?
        --
        Rainer Keuchel
      • ekirnam@yahoo.es
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2001
          --- In wince-devel@y..., Rainer Keuchel <keuchel@a...> wrote:
          > > After months of "math soft" searching for PocketPC I have
          found
          > > your website, with Maxima !!!. I would like to know with
          files
          > > I need to take to my Hp Jornada. English isn't my mother
          > > language and I have some problems to understand.. Need I
          > > console? What's the average speed of Maxima in PPC?
          >
          > You need the maxima package and the update of it and the latest
          celib.dll.
          > You might want to use maxx or emacs.

          I've seen there are two updates (05MB and 10MB), what are the
          differences?

          > The speed is ok, only load-up takes some time (about 60 secs on a
          > J720).

          60 secs in a J270? Ok, it has a 206Mhz CPU and my J525 has a 133MHz
          SH3 CPU.. slow, isn't it?

          > > I have mailed to Hp Calculators CAS creator, Mr. Bernard
          > > Parisse, about using maxx or similar for his Giac project. He
          > > said that your soft is C, not C++, so it's harder to port C++
          > > soft to PPC. Ok, there is a great soft in C for math called
          > > Gp-Pari (I've seen you've talked about Scilab), that could be
          > > nice to port to PPC: http://www.parigp-home.de/
          >
          > > Check B.Parisse project at:
          > > http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/
          >
          > Well, this is in French. Can you give me links to the source code
          > you want ported?

          GP-Pari:
          http://www.parigp-home.de

          There are links to ftp server and mirrors.

          For Giac (B.Parisse's project):
          http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/english.html

          You could e-mail him if you want.. He loves Linux, so no Giac for CE
          is expected :(

          Thanks for your fast answer,

          J.Manrique

          > > I would like more info about installing Maxima and TeX in my
          Hp
          > > Jornada.
          >
          > Maybe Mr. CAHIER can give some instructions in French?
          > --
          > Rainer Keuchel
        • Rainer Keuchel
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001

            > I've seen there are two updates (05MB and 10MB), what are the
            > differences?

            The only difference is the amount of heap space the program reserves.

            >> The speed is ok, only load-up takes some time (about 60 secs on
            >> a J720).

            > 60 secs in a J270? Ok, it has a 206Mhz CPU and my J525 has a
            > 133MHz SH3 CPU.. slow, isn't it?

            I thought you had a J720. So it will take longer to start, but the
            calculations should be fast enough.
            --
            Rainer Keuchel
          • Lopez J.Manrique
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
              --- Rainer Keuchel <keuchel@...> escribió: >
              > ekirnam@... said:
              >
              > > I've seen there are two updates (05MB and
              > 10MB), what are the
              > > differences?
              >
              > The only difference is the amount of heap space the
              > program reserves.

              Thanks, I have downloaded 05MB..

              > >> The speed is ok, only load-up takes some time
              > (about 60 secs on
              > >> a J720).
              >
              > > 60 secs in a J270? Ok, it has a 206Mhz CPU
              > and my J525 has a
              > > 133MHz SH3 CPU.. slow, isn't it?
              >
              > I thought you had a J720. So it will take longer to
              > start, but the
              > calculations should be fast enough.

              Yes, they are. All I can say is "WOW!!!", really, this
              software is turning me mad. TeXeD works fantastic, I
              am having problems "Running TeX" due to latex
              specifications.. but the editor is great for a
              document I am working in..

              > --
              > Rainer Keuchel

              Thank you very much for this great soft.. all of
              them..

              =====
              Yahoo! Messenger: Comunicación instantánea gratis con tu gente -
              http://messenger.yahoo.es
            • Keuchel, Rainer
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                > software is turning me mad. TeXeD works fantastic, I
                > am having problems "Running TeX" due to latex

                What are the problems exactly?

                ------------------------------------
                Visit us at: http://www.allgeier.com
              • ekirnam@yahoo.es
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                  --- In wince-devel@y..., "Keuchel, Rainer" <keuchel@a...> wrote:
                  > > software is turning me mad. TeXeD works fantastic, I
                  > > am having problems "Running TeX" due to latex
                  >
                  > What are the problems exactly?

                  Probably I haven't much more idea about this, it's long time ago when
                  I used TeX last time.

                  I have a .tex document, and when I "Run TeX" I get a new window
                  showing Close and Goto Line and the next text:
                  "This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2c 7.3.3.1)
                  I can't find the format file latex.fmt'!"

                  In other hand, Bernard Parisse email me about the specs of Maxima for
                  PPC, and he asked me about how long does it take to factor
                  (x^202+x^101+1) ... Ok, I am still waiting and with some memory
                  errors :( Anyway, I find this software marvellous (using Maxx).
                  Discovering your page was A New Hope for me, using this machine.

                  Thanks,
                  J.Manrique

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                    > I have a .tex document, and when I "Run TeX" I get a new window
                    > showing Close and Goto Line and the next text:
                    > "This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2c 7.3.3.1)
                    > I can't find the format file latex.fmt'!"

                    This seems to be a configuration error. Check the setting of
                    TEXMFCNF variable and the file where it points to. The file
                    must be edited to match your paths.

                    > In other hand, Bernard Parisse email me about the specs of Maxima for
                    > PPC, and he asked me about how long does it take to factor
                    > (x^202+x^101+1) ... Ok, I am still waiting and with some memory
                    > errors :( Anyway, I find this software marvellous (using Maxx).
                    > Discovering your page was A New Hope for me, using this machine.

                    Well, tell me how long it takes and what command is needed
                    for factoring. How long does Parisse's prog take?

                    ------------------------------------
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                      --- In wince-devel@y..., "Keuchel, Rainer" <keuchel@a...> wrote:
                      > > I have a .tex document, and when I "Run TeX" I get a new window
                      > > showing Close and Goto Line and the next text:
                      > > "This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2c 7.3.3.1)
                      > > I can't find the format file latex.fmt'!"
                      >
                      > This seems to be a configuration error. Check the setting of
                      > TEXMFCNF variable and the file where it points to. The file
                      > must be edited to match your paths.

                      sorry I don't understand. TEXMFCNF points to a direcotry called cfg
                      in texmf, but it doesn't exits. I have
                      -texmf
                      -bin
                      gftopk.exe
                      latex.exe
                      mf.exe
                      texed.exe
                      windvi.exe

                      And some files related with it in the root directory of the machine.

                      > > In other hand, Bernard Parisse email me about the specs of Maxima
                      for
                      > > PPC, and he asked me about how long does it take to factor
                      > > (x^202+x^101+1) ... Ok, I am still waiting and with some memory
                      > > errors :( Anyway, I find this software marvellous (using Maxx).
                      > > Discovering your page was A New Hope for me, using this machine.
                      >
                      > Well, tell me how long it takes and what command is needed
                      > for factoring. How long does Parisse's prog take?

                      factor(x^202+x^101+1);

                      B.Parisse soft it's only for PC (windows or linux), and it takes only
                      a few seconds. It's C++ software.

                      Thanks in advance,
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                        > sorry I don't understand. TEXMFCNF points to a direcotry called cfg
                        > in texmf, but it doesn't exits. I have
                        > -texmf
                        > -bin
                        > gftopk.exe
                        > latex.exe
                        > mf.exe
                        > texed.exe
                        > windvi.exe
                        >
                        > And some files related with it in the root directory of the machine.

                        You need the tex-all-platforms archive...

                        > factor(x^202+x^101+1);
                        >
                        > B.Parisse soft it's only for PC (windows or linux), and it takes only
                        > a few seconds. It's C++ software.

                        Maxima seems to take quite some time - or it hangs...

                        I ported GPARI to WinCE successfully this evening. Plotting and readline
                        is currently missing. I have to read the docs for testing it.

                        GPARI takes about 10 secs on my Jornada720 to calculate these factors:

                        ? %1 =
                        [x^2 + x + 1 1]

                        [x^200 - x^199 + x^197 - x^196 + x^194 - x^193 + x^191 - x^190 + x^188
                        - x^187 + x^185 - x^184 + x^182 - x^181 + x^179 - x^178 + x^176 -
                        x^175 + x^173 - x^172 + x^170 - x^169 + x^167 - x^166 + x^164 - x^163
                        + x^161 - x^160 + x^158 - x^157 + x^155 - x^154 + x^152 - x^151 +
                        x^149 - x^148 + x^146 - x^145 + x^143 - x^142 + x^140 - x^139 + x^137
                        - x^136 + x^134 - x^133 + x^131 - x^130 + x^128 - x^127 + x^125 -
                        x^124 + x^122 - x^121 + x^119 - x^118 + x^116 - x^115 + x^113 - x^112
                        + x^110 - x^109 + x^107 - x^106 + x^104 - x^103 + x^101 - x^100 + x^99
                        - x^97 + x^96 - x^94 + x^93 - x^91 + x^90 - x^88 + x^87 - x^85 + x^84
                        - x^82 + x^81 - x^79 + x^78 - x^76 + x^75 - x^73 + x^72 - x^70 + x^69
                        - x^67 + x^66 - x^64 + x^63 - x^61 + x^60 - x^58 + x^57 - x^55 + x^54
                        - x^52 + x^51 - x^49 + x^48 - x^46 + x^45 - x^43 + x^42 - x^40 + x^39
                        - x^37 + x^36 - x^34 + x^33 - x^31 + x^30 - x^28 + x^27 - x^25 + x^24
                        - x^22 + x^21 - x^19 + x^18 - x^16 + x^15 - x^13 + x^12 - x^10 + x^9
                        - x^7 + x^6 - x^4 + x^3 - x + 1 1]

                        Is this correct?
                      • ekirnam@yahoo.es
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 2, 2001
                          --- In wince-devel@y..., "Rainer Keuchel" <keuchel@n...> wrote:
                          > > sorry I don't understand. TEXMFCNF points to a direcotry called
                          cfg
                          > > in texmf, but it doesn't exits. I have
                          > > -texmf
                          > > -bin
                          > > gftopk.exe
                          > > latex.exe
                          > > mf.exe
                          > > texed.exe
                          > > windvi.exe
                          > >
                          > > And some files related with it in the root directory of the
                          machine.

                          > You need the tex-all-platforms archive...

                          Yes, I've seen that was the problem :)

                          > > factor(x^202+x^101+1);
                          > >
                          > > B.Parisse soft it's only for PC (windows or linux), and it takes
                          only
                          > > a few seconds. It's C++ software.
                          >
                          > Maxima seems to take quite some time - or it hangs...

                          Xcas for Linux Ipaq has this times:
                          2-3 sec to launch
                          factor(x^202+x^101+1) (70 secs)
                          factor(x^100+x^50+1) (5.38 secs)
                          integrate(1/(1-x^4)^4,x) (0.33secs)

                          > I ported GPARI to WinCE successfully this evening. Plotting and
                          readline
                          > is currently missing. I have to read the docs for testing it.

                          WOW!! You are incredible.. Please post it when you can.

                          > GPARI takes about 10 secs on my Jornada720 to calculate these
                          factors:

                          > ? %1 =
                          > [x^2 + x + 1 1]
                          >
                          > [x^200 - x^199 + x^197 - x^196 + x^194 - x^193 + x^191 - x^190 +
                          x^188
                          > - x^187 + x^185 - x^184 + x^182 - x^181 + x^179 - x^178 + x^176 -
                          > x^175 + x^173 - x^172 + x^170 - x^169 + x^167 - x^166 + x^164 -
                          x^163
                          > + x^161 - x^160 + x^158 - x^157 + x^155 - x^154 + x^152 - x^151 +
                          > x^149 - x^148 + x^146 - x^145 + x^143 - x^142 + x^140 - x^139 +
                          x^137
                          > - x^136 + x^134 - x^133 + x^131 - x^130 + x^128 - x^127 + x^125 -
                          > x^124 + x^122 - x^121 + x^119 - x^118 + x^116 - x^115 + x^113 -
                          x^112
                          > + x^110 - x^109 + x^107 - x^106 + x^104 - x^103 + x^101 - x^100 +
                          x^99
                          > - x^97 + x^96 - x^94 + x^93 - x^91 + x^90 - x^88 + x^87 - x^85 +
                          x^84
                          > - x^82 + x^81 - x^79 + x^78 - x^76 + x^75 - x^73 + x^72 - x^70 +
                          x^69
                          > - x^67 + x^66 - x^64 + x^63 - x^61 + x^60 - x^58 + x^57 - x^55 +
                          x^54
                          > - x^52 + x^51 - x^49 + x^48 - x^46 + x^45 - x^43 + x^42 - x^40 +
                          x^39
                          > - x^37 + x^36 - x^34 + x^33 - x^31 + x^30 - x^28 + x^27 - x^25 +
                          x^24
                          > - x^22 + x^21 - x^19 + x^18 - x^16 + x^15 - x^13 + x^12 - x^10 + x^9
                          > - x^7 + x^6 - x^4 + x^3 - x + 1 1]
                          >
                          > Is this correct?

                          Yes, it is

                          I hope to see this great soft (GPari) soon in my Hp Jornada525...

                          Cheers,
                          J.Manrique
                        • Rainer Keuchel
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 3, 2001
                            > I hope to see this great soft (GPari) soon in my Hp Jornada525...

                            Builds are available for download from
                            www.rainer-keuchel.de/wince/dirlist.html

                            The SH3 build should also run on HP525.
                          • ekirnam@yahoo.es
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 3, 2001
                              --- In wince-devel@y..., "Rainer Keuchel" <keuchel@n...> wrote:
                              > > I hope to see this great soft (GPari) soon in my Hp Jornada525...
                              >
                              > Builds are available for download from
                              > www.rainer-keuchel.de/wince/dirlist.html
                              >
                              > The SH3 build should also run on HP525.

                              I have downloaded it, but running it, all I get is a white window..
                              nothing more happens..

                              It's stored in a folder called gp in my CF card..

                              What else must I do?

                              Cheers,

                              J.Manrique
                            • Rainer Keuchel
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 3, 2001
                                > > > I hope to see this great soft (GPari) soon in my Hp Jornada525...
                                > >
                                > > Builds are available for download from
                                > > www.rainer-keuchel.de/wince/dirlist.html
                                > >
                                > > The SH3 build should also run on HP525.
                                >
                                > I have downloaded it, but running it, all I get is a white window..
                                > nothing more happens..
                                >
                                > It's stored in a folder called gp in my CF card..
                                >
                                > What else must I do?

                                Hm, that's strange. Do you have celib.dll 3.04 installed?

                                Else please try setting the TRACE variables mentioned in my
                                registry.html file.

                                Else try my Debugger - with TRACE turned off.
                              • ekirnam@yahoo.es
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 3, 2001
                                  Jornada525...

                                  > > > Builds are available for download from
                                  > > > www.rainer-keuchel.de/wince/dirlist.html
                                  > > >
                                  > > > The SH3 build should also run on HP525.
                                  > >
                                  > > I have downloaded it, but running it, all I get is a white
                                  window..
                                  > > nothing more happens..
                                  > >
                                  > > It's stored in a folder called gp in my CF card..
                                  > >
                                  > > What else must I do?
                                  >
                                  > Hm, that's strange. Do you have celib.dll 3.04 installed?

                                  Yes, I have.

                                  > Else please try setting the TRACE variables mentioned in my
                                  > registry.html file.

                                  I have set XCE_TRACE to 1 and nothing new happen

                                  > Else try my Debugger - with TRACE turned off.

                                  How turn I TRACE off? Setting it to 0?
                                  Debugger doesn't work.. "It can't be found. Check path is ok or all
                                  needed libraries are installed" (Ok, it's a poor translation from
                                  spanish to english, but i suppose you know the error)

                                  What it happens with gp.exe:

                                  1-Click in gp.exe
                                  2-The "console" window appears, with a static "cursor" at the
                                  beginning and the top windowsce bar down (as all the console programs
                                  I have seen from you)
                                  3-Nothing more.. I can select the input pannel, all the system works
                                  all right, but gp doesn't do nothing..

                                  Any idea?

                                  Cheers,

                                  J.Manrique
                                • ekirnam@yahoo.es
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 3, 2001
                                    --- In wince-devel@y..., ekirnam@y... wrote:
                                    > Jornada525...

                                    > > > I have downloaded it, but running it, all I get is a white
                                    > window..
                                    > > > nothing more happens..
                                    > > >
                                    > > > It's stored in a folder called gp in my CF card..
                                    > > >
                                    > > > What else must I do?
                                    > >
                                    > > Hm, that's strange. Do you have celib.dll 3.04 installed?
                                    > >

                                    > Yes, I have.

                                    Sorry, I am really stupid.. I downloaded it yesterday but I haven't
                                    put it in my PPC, that's the reason I thought I had it.. sorry..

                                    NOW.. IT WORKS...

                                    THANKS,

                                    Only one last thing.. could Maxx works with this? (Am I dreaming?)

                                    THANKS