Re: [Q]: C++ EH

  • paranoyaxc
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2003
      I had a look at the implementation in the emulator coredll.dll.
      CxxThrowException uses the same kernel trap as RaiseException(),
      so it might be possible to use SEH for this.

      EH_prolog seems to record things on the stack, probably
      also needed destuctors for unwinding.

      Will have a closer look this weekend.

      Do you have assembly skills?
    • Simone Finotti
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4, 2003
        > I had a look at the implementation in the emulator coredll.dll.
        > CxxThrowException uses the same kernel trap as RaiseException(),
        > so it might be possible to use SEH for this.

        indeed, even VC++ .NET for desktop uses SEH to implement C++ EH.

        > EH_prolog seems to record things on the stack, probably
        > also needed destuctors for unwinding.
        >
        > Will have a closer look this weekend.

        great!

        > Do you have assembly skills?

        yes, for the x86 family.
      • Keuchel, Rainer
        Message 3 of 12 , May 5, 2003
          I have made some great progress with c++ exceptions.
          Main problem is how to get the right stack pointer
          back after the unwinders/catchers are called.

          It also seems that exceptions should be possible
          with the wce300 compilers, although they give
          a warning when using -GX, they generate the same
          data structures as the wce400 compilers.

          Here is some still simple code:
          http://www.wince-devel.org/src/exceptions.tar.gz

          ------------------------------------
          Visit us at : www.allgeier.com
        • Simone Finotti
          Message 4 of 12 , May 5, 2003
            > I have made some great progress with c++ exceptions.
            > Main problem is how to get the right stack pointer
            > back after the unwinders/catchers are called.
            >
            > It also seems that exceptions should be possible
            > with the wce300 compilers, although they give
            > a warning when using -GX, they generate the same
            > data structures as the wce400 compilers.
            >
            > Here is some still simple code:
            > http://www.wince-devel.org/src/exceptions.tar.gz

            great!! I'll take a look as soon as I get some spare time...
          • Keuchel, Rainer
            Message 5 of 12 , May 7, 2003
              The exception stuff basically works now, there
              are some things to fix and add. Might be finished
              after the weekend.

              It will probably not work with 300 compilers,
              as it seems that the compiler generates wrong
              frame offsets for putting the thrown object in
              the frame.

              http://www.wince-devel.org/src/exceptions.tar.gz

              PS: Has anyone checked if templates and multiple-inheritance
              have been improved with the 400 compilers?

              Any suggestions for an easily portable STL? I have some around,
              but maybe there is something else...

              ------------------------------------
              Visit us at : www.allgeier.com
            • Simone Finotti
              Message 6 of 12 , May 7, 2003
                > The exception stuff basically works now, there
                > are some things to fix and add. Might be finished
                > after the weekend.
                >
                > It will probably not work with 300 compilers,
                > as it seems that the compiler generates wrong
                > frame offsets for putting the thrown object in
                > the frame.
                >
                > http://www.wince-devel.org/src/exceptions.tar.gz
                >
                > PS: Has anyone checked if templates and multiple-inheritance
                > have been improved with the 400 compilers?
                >
                > Any suggestions for an easily portable STL? I have some around,
                > but maybe there is something else...

                take a look @
                http://users.libero.it/g.govi/stlport_ce_en.html
                this is the one I'm currently using for my development. It misses every kind
                of stream, but it's surely better than nothing!

                As for templates and multiple-inheritance, it seems to me that no
                improvements were made.
              • Stephane Rouleau
                Message 7 of 12 , May 7, 2003
                  Rainer,

                  I've been using STLPort on wce300 for quite some time, and it works just
                  like a charm.

                  http://www.stlport.org

                  Stephane Rouleau, eng.
                  Innobec Technologies Inc.
                  http://www.innobec.com <http://www.innobec.com/>

                  The exception stuff basically works now, there
                  are some things to fix and add. Might be finished
                  after the weekend.

                  It will probably not work with 300 compilers,
                  as it seems that the compiler generates wrong
                  frame offsets for putting the thrown object in
                  the frame.

                  http://www.wince-devel.org/src/exceptions.tar.gz

                  PS: Has anyone checked if templates and multiple-inheritance
                  have been improved with the 400 compilers?

                  Any suggestions for an easily portable STL? I have some around,
                  but maybe there is something else...

                  ------------------------------------
                  Visit us at : www.allgeier.com

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17072819
                  42:HM/A=1564415/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164784&partid=317
                  0658>

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupmai
                  l/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=774329191>

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • Simone Finotti
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 8, 2003
                    > Rainer,
                    >
                    > I've been using STLPort on wce300 for quite some time, and it works just
                    > like a charm.
                    >
                    > http://www.stlport.org

                    which version are you using, the latest? what configuration macros have you
                    enabled?
                  • Stephane Rouleau
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 9, 2003
                      I used both the latest and second-to-latest release versions of STLPort
                      on wc300, with strings but without streams. Right now I'm using version
                      4.52

                      It's pretty much "out of the box" compiling with eVC, but I did modify
                      so that, instead of

                      #define _STL_OWN_IOSTREAMS

                      it reads

                      #undef _STLP_OWN_IOSTREAMS
                      #define _STLP_NO_OWN_IOSTREAMS
                      #define _STLP_NO_IOSTREAMS
                      #define _STLP_NO_EXCEPTIONS

                      Of course, it's because I did not need the streams. The NO_EXCEPTIONS
                      was actually added in 4.52(3?) because whoever did the CE port that
                      everyone was compiling with CE .NET now.

                      Stephane Rouleau, eng.
                      Innobec Technologies Inc.
                      http://www.innobec.com <http://www.innobec.com/>

                      > I've been using STLPort on wce300 for quite some time, and it works
                      just
                      > like a charm.
                      >
                      > http://www.stlport.org

                      which version are you using, the latest? what configuration macros have
                      you
                      enabled?

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707