How's Wildstorm these days?

  • David Stallard
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5 11:56 AM
      Last night I saw the latest issue of Big Bang Theory where they are in a comic book shop and it dawned on me that there haven't been any messages on this list in a quite a while.  In fact, this is the first message of 2009.

      So how are Wildstorm's books these days?  Any big events happen recently or announced to happen soon?  I'm completely out of touch with the current comic book scene anymore, but if things are continuing on the track they've been on, then I'm guessing yet another universe reboot is on the horizon.  :)

      David
    • Nuno Gil Franco
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5 12:41 PM
        Well, I haven't read anything WS related in years. In fact, I kept on drifting from comics altogether due to some facts in my life and I'm now trying to read up on what I missed. Haven't gotten to WS yet (first DCU, then Vertigo, then it's either Marvel or indies or WS).

        N. Franco

        To: wildstormfan@yahoogroups.com
        From: davidstallard@...
        Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 14:56:03 -0400
        Subject: [wildstormfan] How's Wildstorm these days?

        Last night I saw the latest issue of Big Bang Theory where they are in a comic book shop and it dawned on me that there haven't been any messages on this list in a quite a while.  In fact, this is the first message of 2009.

        So how are Wildstorm's books these days?  Any big events happen recently or announced to happen soon?  I'm completely out of touch with the current comic book scene anymore, but if things are continuing on the track they've been on, then I'm guessing yet another universe reboot is on the horizon.  :)

        David

      • Mathieu Doublet
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5 12:47 PM
          Well, David, I'm quite late in my WS reading (that I still buy but can't read cause they're in France and I'm in Russia). Anyway, World's End is really a good story and coming strong. Cristos Gage is putting all the good old ideas in motion (even Team 7 through backup stories). So, it's sure that the WSU can't stay in the post apocalyptic state forever. Or maybe the sales will be bad enough to cancel the whole line and then the Universe is completely doomed.

          I went to WS panel at NYCC this year. And frankly speaking, I didn't feel they were quite interested in the WSU. They have a lot of franchises and plan to make a lot of comics from them only because they're fan of the game / TV series / movie / ...

          But ultimately, the WS titles are quite good. Take a look at Armageddon / Revelations / Number of the Beast (Armageddon being the weakest of the series) and then you'll find again all the heroes you liked, nearly unchanged.

          Mathieu

          ----
          Lycée français de Moscou: http://www.lfm.ru
          Onirique Comics: http://onirique.free.fr/spip

          Message 4 of 11 , May 5 1:22 PM
            They're okay. They've gone back to a very inter-connected, continuity-heavy series of four books: Wildcats, Authority, Gen 13, and StormWatch (It's StormWatch PHD, but it's got the original SW characters)

            Each title showcased how the different teams reacted to the post-apocalyptic scenario they were in. Each team suffered setbacks, The Authority being the worst off of the bunch.

            For the first year or so, there was a 16-page backup story that ran through all four titles. They showcased some of the lesser WildStorm characters and their new status quo, including Cybernary, Marc Slayton, Wetworks, Christine Blaze, and the return of StormWatch Team Achilles.

            The backup stories set up a lot of plot points for upcoming issues, StormWatch is investigating Eastern Europe, now covered in darkness and overrun by the Night Tribes. The Authority, shiftshipwrecked in London are going to encounter Gamorra again, now a flying island. The Wildcats are teaming up with a newly reunited Team 7, as John Lynch wishes to lead them in battle against TAO, who he believes is responsible for the armageddon, and who he believes holds the key to restoring the planet to what it once was.

            It's pretty interesting stuff, a neat little experiment into how heroes react after they've failed utterly at being heroes. Gage is winning points with a lot of fans for bringing back Team 7 along with other nods to continuity. Majestic just had a little fight with ARGOS. Argos! Remember him?

            The Authority is probably still the best book of the bunch, as they've been the hardest hit.

            Anyways, I know everyone here has STRONG opinions about WildStorm and hasn't enjoyed any books released since 1996 or whatever, but they're worth a look. There are worse superhero comics out there for sure.

            If anyone wants to read some summaries (full of spoilers!) they can be found at my WildStorm wiki:

            http://wildstormresource.wetpaint.com

            Best,

            -James
          • David Stallard
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5 1:58 PM
              James, a lot of the stuff you mentioned sounds VERY interesting, but I hesitate because I have a feeling that all of that is still being written in the bleak, dark, "mature readers" style that Wildstorm had fully embraced by the time I jumped ship.  Is that the case, or have they gone back to a bit more four-color feel?

              Also, the entire universe seems to hinge around the post-apocalyptic event you mentioned...I'm not familiar with it, so would that make it difficult to get into these books?  I know that the narration box is almost extinct in comics these days, which would be the place I'd normally look to get caught up on what has gone before.

              The only comics I'm reading these days are from the various Marvel DVD-ROMs from a few years back, and with those I seem to focus mostly on the Bronze Age stuff (1970s and some 1980s), so I'm totally out of touch with what's going on with comics these days.  A year or so back I stopped in at a comic shop and was totally confused...for instance, there seemed to be 5 different Avengers titles and it wasn't clear at all how they were different from each other.  :)  Also, all of the dead Wildstorm characters somehow had come back to life...how the heck did that happen?
              On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 4:22 PM, jnadiger <wildstormresource@...> wrote:

[...]

            • jnadiger
              Message 6 of 11 , May 5 3:16 PM
                <<James, a lot of the stuff you mentioned sounds VERY interesting, but I hesitate because I have a feeling that all of that is still being written in the bleak, dark, "mature readers" style that Wildstorm had fully embraced by the time I jumped ship. Is that the case, or have they gone back to a bit more four-color feel?>>

                Depends on the books. The Authority is still quite bleak, but they've been devastated by the end of the world. The Carrier crashed into London, Jack Hawksmoor is crippled, since he's connected to cities that have been destroyed. The Engineer's nano-blood doesn't work, Jenny Quantum and the Doctor have vanished, Apollo can't descend below the clouds because his powers get drained even more quickly. The only ones who are still okay are Midnighter, who really has nothing useful to hit, and Swift, and all she can do is really herd survivors back to the husk of the shiftship, powerless and fused with London.

                So it's dark, you know? A lot of their arrogance is gone. But the remnants of the Establishment are also in London, as well as the Eidolon from the Changers, and the conflicts are a bit more intense, with a lot more at stake.

                Wildcats is the one most back to its four-colour roots. Since technology across the world is all but useless, there's no more Halo Inc. They still have some gadgets, like a new MIRV, but no more stories about changing the world with batteries. They're doing much of the same, shepherding human survivors into the Halo building, and trying to figure out how to rebuild.

                But Majestic is created a new paradise on Hawaii, fusing the best of Kherubim and human civilization. Only Majestic is changed now. Is is just a kind of superhuman post-traumatic stress thing? Is it something else?

                We actually know the answer already, but I won't spoil it for you just yet.

                StormWatch has become the new Authority, in a sense. They built a new SkyWatch just before the world ended. Jackson King is Weatherman again, in a brand new cyber-tran suit that gives him Despot-level powers. Winter, Fuji, Hellstrike, Fahrenheit, Flint, and Deathblow, yeah, Michael Cray Deathblow are his field agents, teleporting down where there are survivors and bringing them up to SkyWatch, etc.

                StormWatch and the Authority had a meeting, and it wasn't pretty. Lots of old grudges came to light. Jackson King is also behaving a little oddly, like Majestic. Most people think it's just because he has to make some really major decisions about the fate of the human race, but it's actually something else...

                Gen 13 is still Gen 13, really. They emerged from an International Operations transporter to find that the world had ended. So they're making their way to Tranquility, the last place that they felt safe.

                <<Also, the entire universe seems to hinge around the post-apocalyptic event you mentioned...I'm not familiar with it, so would that make it difficult to get into these books? I know that the narration box is almost extinct in comics these days, which would be the place I'd normally look to get caught up on what has gone before.>>

                It's not that difficult, I don't think. The first issues of the four World's End titles basically all said the same thing: The world was destroyed when pretty much all the world's superhumans went nuts and fought each other.

                If you actually want to read the comics, the apocalypse trilogy can be purchased in tpbs, and are follows:

                WILDSTORM ARMAGEDDON: the new Void sends six heroes into the future, to witness the apocalypse and learn how to prevent it. She sent one character from each title/franchise being published at the time: Jackson Dane, Caitlin Fairchild, Midnighter, John Doran (of StormWatch PHD), Maximum Man (from Tranquility), and Nemesis (renegade Coda assassin). But we learn that someone is controlling Void, but it's not until much later we learn who.

                WILDCATS REVELATIONS: Nemesis, Savant, and Jodi Slayton (now calling herself Backlash) tour the WildStorm Universe looking for answers to what might cause a superhuman apocalypse. They invade the Carrier, StormWatch PHD HQ, Tranquility town, Gamorra Island, etc.

                NUMBER OF THE BEAST: In which the world ends, but not in the way you might think. Basically, what happend was that WildStorm did indeed have a Golden Age of superheroes, altruisitc SPBs who fought in WWII. Only after the war, they were all put into a kind of virtual prison created from Daemonite tech, for fear that they might rebel against shadowy government agencies that had started to form. Cut to present day, when The High (from StormWatch) busts out the imprisoned SPBs, and all hell breaks loose...

                Also worthy of mention is The New Dynamix, a five-issue miniseries focusing on The Black Halo, who used to be Omni from Backlash. His roommate Gramalkin keeps getting haunting dreams about a devastated future, and so they are pulled into a mystery, namely, where did all the SPBs from the 90s WildStorm comics go? On Black Halo's side are Union (original Union, not Monarchy Union), Luna Rhiannon (green haired witch lady), and new hero Love Rocket. Fighting against him are The Sword of Damocles, The Quickness, Trance, Mnemo, and Razer. It's not directly related to the trilogy, but we do learn who has captured Void. There's no TPB scheduled for this, and since it sold for shit, I can't imagine that there will be, but it's kind of fun to see some old faces again.

                <<Also, all of the dead Wildstorm characters somehow had come back to life...how the heck did that happen?>>

                At the end of Captain Atom Armageddon, the new Void reset the universe, bringing some characters back. Most notably Michael Cray and the original StormWatch. The original StormWatch's return is further explained in StormWatch PHD #5.

                Again, if you just want some spoilers to see what's going on, poke around the Wiki. All of the current titles, as wells as the apocalypse trilogy have been summarized. Or if you find a trade you might check it out.

                I won't deny that some of it is still written in the style that you don't like, but what I see is WildStorm trying to strike a balance between interesting stories, that have some admittedly bleak aspects, but a return to a cohesive, superhero, universe.

                And they're still better than most DC or Marvel special crossover event extravaganzas.

                And yes, I realize there will probably be ANOTHER reboot at some point, but for now, I'm impressed they had the balls to blow up their world and make it stick for over a year!
              • Mathieu Doublet
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5 4:38 PM
                  >>> Is that the case, or have they gone back to a bit more four-color feel?

                  As the Earth is dying and that "mutants" eat the weakest humans, I won't say that's 4-color.

                  >>> Also, the entire universe seems to hinge around the post-apocalyptic event you mentioned...I'm not familiar with it, so would that make it difficult to get into these books?

                  Get WS Armageddon, WS Revelations and WS Number of the Beast. I suppose everything is available on TPBs.

                  >>> for instance, there seemed to be 5 different Avengers titles and it wasn't clear at all how they were different from each other. :)

                  I count 3 or 4:
                  - New Avengers: the rebels after Civil War, Luke Cage's team.
                  - Mighty Avengers: the official team after Civil War working for government and Tony Stark.
                  - Avengers The Initiative: the rookie training facility with James Rhodes aboard.
                  - Dark Avengers: can't say really what that's abour as I haven't read it yet. Or is it the new team of Avengers built by the guy who is now in charge of the USA after Secret Invasion ?

                  >>> Also, all of the dead Wildstorm characters somehow had come back to life...how the heck did that happen?

                  I can't remember exactly but I think that when they somehow manage the case of Captain Atom and Void -In Captain Atom: Armageddon), they rewrote continuity. James will confirm. :)

                  Mathieu
                • macrossjxs
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8 10:48 AM
                    I have 2 series on my pull-list, one is "WildCats" (volume 5?) and the other is Whilce's "Spawn".

                    I have not read a single issue of either (yet) so I have no review to provide. However, I will say that the art on Spawn is sweet.

                    I bought the 2 "StormWatch Achilles" graphic novels that Whilce drew. I'm reading the first volume now, a few pages every morning. How the story is coming is okay. I like Ben Santini being in the mix. The dialogue is an 'F', IMO.

                    Being a admirer of Whilce's art, there are some things he does that look like new digital techniques. Some works well, but some other stuff looks sort of awkward. So 'A' for effort and pushing boundaries, but maybe a 'B' for the final result.

                    I plan to finish this and the second volume and will send aong an update.

                    -Josh

                    --- In wildstormfan@yahoogroups.com, David Stallard <davidstallard@...> wrote:

                    > Last night I saw the latest issue of Big Bang Theory where they are in a
                    > comic book shop and it dawned on me that there haven't been any messages on
                    > this list in a quite a while. In fact, this is the first message of 2009.
                    >
                    > So how are Wildstorm's books these days? Any big events happen recently or
                    > announced to happen soon? I'm completely out of touch with the current
                    > comic book scene anymore, but if things are continuing on the track they've
                    > been on, then I'm guessing yet another universe reboot is on the horizon.
                    > :)
                    >
                    > David

                  • macrossjxs
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8 1:41 PM
                      << Anyways, I know everyone here has STRONG opinions about WildStorm and hasn't enjoyed any books released since 1996 or whatever, but they're worth a look.

                      There are worse superhero comics out there for sure.>>

                      Heh, I liked the WSU through the New Horizons promotion. I personally did not like that Aliens killed so many Stormwatch characters or that the Authority over-shadowed StormWatch, but both story-lines were well done.

                      Before the Authority was neutered, I bought the core titles (Wildcats, StormWatch) and the satellite books (Black Ops, Def Con 4, Phantom Guard, Savant Guard) too.

                      Then it kind of got dismantled in 2 ways; the in-house studio artists departed (except for a few guys) and many of the WSU franchise series were discontinued.

                      As a potential buyer, if the publisher no longer uses the artists I like and no longer prints the series and characters I like, then it's sort of hard to be a cheerleader.

                      Freddy Kruger comics might be Joe-The-Plumber's cup of tea, but I like WildCats and Deathblow.

                      IMO, DC has not planted the seeds for success when it comes to the WSU. I also think they have not provided premier art talent and promotional support for the core WSU series to prosper.

                      -Josh
                      PS: Ivan Reis as artist for Team 7 or Death blow = 2 thumbs up!

                      --- In wildstormfan@yahoogroups.com, "jnadiger" <wildstormresource@...> wrote:

                      > They're okay. They've gone back to a very inter-connected, continuity-heavy series of four books: Wildcats, Authority, Gen 13, and StormWatch (It's StormWatch PHD, but it's got the original SW characters)
                      >
                      > Each title showcased how the different teams reacted to the post-apocalyptic scenario they were in. Each team suffered setbacks, The Authority being the worst off of the bunch.
                      >
                      > For the first year or so, there was a 16-page backup story that ran through all four titles. They showcased some of the lesser WildStorm characters and their new status quo, including Cybernary, Marc Slayton, Wetworks, Christine Blaze, and the return of StormWatch Team Achilles.
                      >
                      > The backup stories set up a lot of plot points for upcoming issues, StormWatch is investigating Eastern Europe, now covered in darkness and overrun by the Night Tribes. The Authority, shiftshipwrecked in London are going to encounter Gamorra again, now a flying island. The Wildcats are teaming up with a newly reunited Team 7, as John Lynch wishes to lead them in battle against TAO, who he believes is responsible for the armageddon, and who he believes holds the key to restoring the planet to what it once was.
                      >
                      > It's pretty interesting stuff, a neat little experiment into how heroes react after they've failed utterly at being heroes. Gage is winning points with a lot of fans for bringing back Team 7 along with other nods to continuity. Majestic just had a little fight with ARGOS. Argos! Remember him?
                      >
                      > The Authority is probably still the best book of the bunch, as they've been the hardest hit.
                      >
                      > Anyways, I know everyone here has STRONG opinions about WildStorm and hasn't enjoyed any books released since 1996 or whatever, but they're worth a look. There are worse superhero comics out there for sure.
                      >
                      > If anyone wants to read some summaries (full of spoilers!) they can be found at my WildStorm wiki:
                      >
                      > http://wildstormresource.wetpaint.com
                      >
                      > Best,
                      >
                      > -James

                    • macrossjxs
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 8 3:10 PM
                        The StormWatch stuff below, with Jackson as Weatherman and the new field agents sounds great!

                        I'm going to pickup the back issues.

                        Thanks for the heads up!
                        -Josh

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 8 5:45 PM
                          It's not bad, I think you might dig it.

                          The World's End stuff starts at StormWatch PHD #13.

                          -J.