I'm back!

  • davidstallard@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2000
      Hi all, I'm back from a very exciting but thoroughly exhausting tour of
      Europe. We're hoping to put up a little web page with photos and whatnot of
      the trip...if/when that happens, I'l let everyone know. The bus was full of
      Australians, so forgive me if a few "mates" slip into my messages for a
      while. -grin-

      I haven't been to my comic shop yet to pick up all the stuff that has been
      collecting for me, but I thought I'd mention what little I saw of comic books
      in Europe. I was on a guided tour so I didn't have the free time to actually
      go to a comic book store or anything like that, but I did see some comics in
      the various highway stops we made.

      If I remember correctly, the first comics I came across were in Italy. They
      didn't look anything like our (American) comics. They were a lot more
      squat...probably half the height, if not smaller. But they were a lot
      thicker. I would guess they were probably 70-80 pages long. I didn't
      actually pick one up and thumb through it--in fact, I believe they may have
      been individually shrink-wrapped.

      Anyway, none of these comics were ones I recognized, except for Popeye and
      maybe one other. Actually, I don't recall seeing any superhero titles at
      all, but they all didn't seem like kid-oriented books either. But it was
      hard to tell since all the titles were in Italian and I had to just judge by
      the cover art. These may all have been reprints of old issues (trade
      paperbacks) for all I know....

      The only time I saw American-style comics was in France on the road to Paris.
      Mixed in with the magazines was a small selection of comics, and believe it
      or not, almost all of them were Wildstorm! Well, actually, they were ABC and
      Cliffhanger titles. The only "mainstream" Wildstorm title may have been an
      issue of DV8--I'm not positive it was DV8, but I know it was a surprise to
      see it because that book had already been cancelled...I think it was DV8.

      So anyway, I didn't do any "research" into seeing what comic books are like
      in Europe, and I wasn't specifically hunting for them each time we got off
      the bus, but this is what I noticed just by chance.

      David
      Moderator, wildstormfan