Re: [wildstormfan] Extinction Event #1 review

  • John McMahon
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1 1:10 AM
      I really like Brett Booth's art style myself - he's probably the only
      image-era-esque style artist that I ever had any time for.

      Looking back over Brett's career, he doesn't seem to have had
      much luck in terms of the projects he's worked on - I'd like to see
      him work with a decent comic's writer like Bendis or Ellis.

      J.
    • NineInchNerd
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1 8:30 AM
        From: "John McMahon" <jmcmahon@...>
        > Looking back over Brett's career, he doesn't seem to have had
        > much luck in terms of the projects he's worked on - I'd like to see
        > him work with a decent comic's writer like Bendis or Ellis.
        >
        > J.

        Let's be honest. It's because he isn't the best that's out there. Not even
        that, I don't think people want early Lee/Campbell clones anymore. He needs
        to evolve his style if he wants to keep up with the already-changed
        industry... or... stay the way he is and struggle on poor comics. He's been
        in the industry this long. I see a potential. Question is, does he have the
        desire?
      • Sergent Pépère
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1 11:02 AM
          Hi all,

          Then 3/10 and there are still people who are wondering why ? I remembered when
          David posted some news about this comic book. It was obvious that the plot was
          weak.
          Well I didn't read it, might take a look at it but I think I was right when I
          read the previews ...

          Sgt 'messiah ;-)' pepere

          Metal: http://deuterium.free.fr
          Comics: http://www.france-comics.com
          Onirique: http://onirique.free.fr
          Lycée Français de Moscou http://www.lfm.ru
        • Sergent Pépère
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 1 11:06 AM
            Hi all,

            Well 3/10 and people wondering why ... I remembered when David post some news
            about Extinction Event ... Well with just this plot, I knew it was going to be
            boring ... Well the book can still improve, can't it ?

            Sgt 'messiah ;-)' pépere
          • Ben Kalman
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 1 11:52 AM
              Looked beyond silly to me. I'm ignoring its existence. The only minis I'm
              buying from WS these days are the Ellis and Keith ones...

              Cheers!
              -Ben =)

              >Hi all,
              >
              >Then 3/10 and there are still people who are wondering why ? I remembered
              >when
              >David posted some news about this comic book. It was obvious that the plot
              >was
              >weak.
              >Well I didn't read it, might take a look at it but I think I was right when
              >read the previews ...
              >
              >Sgt 'messiah ;-)' pepere
              >
              >Metal: http://deuterium.free.fr
              >Comics: http://www.france-comics.com
              >Onirique: http://onirique.free.fr
              >Lyc�e Fran�ais de Moscou http://www.lfm.ru

            • David Stallard
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 3 6:28 PM
                --- In wildstormfan@yahoogroups.com, "John McMahon" <jmcmahon@i...>
                wrote:
                > I really like Brett Booth's art style myself - he's probably the
                only
                > image-era-esque style artist that I ever had any time for.

                I also really like Booth overall and think he's one of the best of
                the early Wildstorm artists. But when I read the Backlash series
                start-to-end within a week or two, some failings in his style became
                apparant...most notably, that most characters have the same facial
                structure and hair. The lankiness of his characters also gets a bit
                over-the-top at times. But still, I think Booth rocks...I'd love to
                see him doing more 4-color superheroes for Wildstorm. I think he
                draws beast-men and dinosaurs way too much, but he's so damn good at
                those that it's hard to fault him.

                David
              • bossgrilla
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 15 1:23 AM
                  --- In wildstormfan@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Kalman" <Kergillian@h...>
                  wrote:
                  > Looked beyond silly to me. I'm ignoring its existence. The only
                  minis I'm
                  > buying from WS these days are the Ellis and Keith ones...
                  >
                  > Cheers!
                  > -Ben =)

                  If you haven't noticed, Ellis's quality has gone way down lately.
                  Everything he makes now is action movie shallow, and contrived. Even
                  Planetary seems to have lost a lot of its intelligence in the last two
                  one shots published and that's Ellis's best work. He said he was
                  interested in making pop comics. Pop by definition means throwaway
                  entertainment for the masses.

                  Man, just writing this makes me realize how f'd up Wildstorm is at the
                  moment. First Wildstorm was "saved" by Warren Ellis, giving Wildstorm
                  maturity and quality that it didn't have before (yeah right!). Only
                  Ellis didn't have much respect for the Wildstorm Universe, so under
                  his era, the WU was demphasized, losing many old school Wildstorm
                  fans. Now all of the sudden Wildstorm doesn't look like Wildstorm
                  anymore, art styles that are more mature in tone (much of which looks
                  really generic now, just pick up any regular marvel,dc comic or 21
                  Down and compare to Tom Raney and such during the Ellis era).

                  Readers of Wildstorm now look down upon "image" art styles, so the
                  move to a mature lable is made to appeal to readers who are left. It
                  langishes because the people who'd read mature comics in general, do
                  not even consider reading a Wildstorm comic because Wildstorm is still
                  Image, several years removed or not. So you have a comic line, that
                  has no target audience, and little means of expanding that audience,
                  despite making the best books in the industry right now.

                  I can safely say I hate (err, or strongly dislike) anybody who claims
                  Ellis made Wildstorm good. Extinction Event may or maynot be total
                  bunk, but it certainly isn't because it looks silly.
                • John McMahon
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 15 1:32 AM
                    "bossgrilla" <bossgrilla@... wrote

                    > I can safely say I hate (err, or strongly dislike) anybody who claims
                    > Ellis made Wildstorm good.

                    On the flipside, he created the Authority franchise - a cashcow that
                    should be driving Wildstorm and would be, were it not for some
                    hamhanded editing during Millar's run on the title.

                    And, y'know, Ellis wrote Stormwatch (volume 1) #37-#50, the best
                    comics ever to see print under the Wildstorm banner and amongst the
                    best superhero comics EVER written.

                    As for the dissolution of the Wildstorm Universe - that's more a case of
                    an aging readership and the comic industry's failure to attract a new
                    wave of younger readers. The bottom line is, if the oldschool Wildstorm
                    stuff was selling, we'd still be seeing it on the shelves today - New
                    Horizons
                    pretty much nailed the coffin shut on the commercial viability of the WSU.

                    J.
                  • Ben Kalman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 15 10:10 AM
                      I thought Orbiter was beyond brilliant, I love Global Frequency, and Tokyo
                      Storm Warning threw me for a loop - Ellis meets Ultraman?? How cool is
                      that! -lol-

                      Ellis was always 50-50. That's what comes from soeone who's willing to try
                      anything and everything. I'm willing to put up with a handful of crap to get
                      a handful of brilliant.

                      I think Ellis did a great job on DV8. I'm not that fond of his Authority
                      stuff and I don't like Planetary and therefore don't bother with it.

                      Did Ellis make WS good? nah. Did he ruin it? Not a chance. Wildstorm ruined
                      Wildstorm. Ellis just does what he always did. Write; for paradise or
                      ruination.

                      And frankly, Global Frequency is pretty much the only WS comic worth reading
                      right now, with 21 Down as the one exception I can think of.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 15 10:14 AM
                        Tha's putting it mildly -lol-. Millar's run on Authority was one of the
                        single worst mistakes I've ever seen WS make. It was like putting a cancer
                        patient on a treatment regimen of cigarettes and chewing tobacco.

                        Cheers!
                        -Ben =)

                      • davidstallard@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 15 10:40 AM
                          Bossgrilla said:
                          >>Man, just writing this makes me realize how f'd up Wildstorm is at the
                          moment.<<

                          As a Wildstorm Universe fan, I agree.  However, a lot of people think Wildstorm is at the top of its game with the Eye of the Storm line.  There are definitely two camps of Wildstorm fans, and it's hard for us old-school fans to legitimize our side because, after all, those books we like all got cancelled.  :)

                          >>First Wildstorm was "saved" by Warren Ellis, giving Wildstorm
                          maturity and quality that it didn't have before (yeah right!). Only
                          Ellis didn't have much respect for the Wildstorm Universe, so under
                          his era, the WU was demphasized, losing many old school Wildstorm
                          fans. Now all of the sudden Wildstorm doesn't look like Wildstorm
                          anymore, art styles that are more mature in tone (much of which looks
                          really generic now, just pick up any regular marvel,dc comic or 21
                          Down and compare to Tom Raney and such during the Ellis era).<<

                          I think everyone would agree that Warren Ellis changed Wildstorm monumentally...whether you think he ruined it or saved it is more subjective, though.  I think the onset of Warren Ellis more-or-less marks the end of the Wildstorm shared universe, especially his post-Stormwatch work.  After Ellis, Wildstorm just didn't try as hard when it came to continuity.  That said, his Stormwatch run is mostly incredible, although he started to dip into some of the weirdness and decadence that ran rampant in The Authority and which always kept that book from being one of my favorites.  I hate that scene where Fuji says he masturbates constantly, but that's the very mentality that was a centerpiece of The Authority and I believe was crucial to its popularity.
                        • davidstallard@cs.com

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 15 9:29 PM
                              I'm talking about how utterly awful it was. It was the same story over and
                              over, entirely boring and redundant the FIRST time, a definition of downward
                              spiral. Like him or hate him, at least Ellis' run on Authority was fresh and
                              unique...Millar's run was like a vomit-stained crack-addict reflction of
                              Ellis in a very broken mirror.

                              And I actually *like* Millar's work on other titles...

                              Cheers!
                              -Ben =)