Danger Girl tv show info

  • Kergillian
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 2, 2002
      This tidbit (below) was sent my way... Check out Comics Continuum for
      the full interview - though don't ask me for the url, I don't have it...

      My question, is who the hell would watch it in the first place?

      Cheers!
      -Ben =)

      "Danger Girl" Producer Talks!

      The Comics Continuum talked to Danger Girl producer Adrian Askarieh
      last week about the upcoming UPN show. Askarieh said the live-action
      series will be faithful to the comic book, with many familiar characters
      including Deuce, Sydney Savage, Natalia Kassle and Johnny Barracuda.

      "It's very true to the spirit of the comic book," Askarieh said. "The
      first episode we're creating is as faithful to the comic as any show I
      can remember."

      Askarieh also dropped a few tidbits about the direction of the plot,
      saying the show will center on Abbey Chase, and Danger Girl vs. Hammer
      Syndicate will be a main theme. There will also be a new character,
      Abbey's mom, who will be an important part of the show.
    • heebiejeebie21@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 2, 2002
        In a message dated 02/12/02 16:05:56 Central Standard Time,
        Kergillian@... writes:

        << My question, is who the hell would watch it in the first place?

        Cheers!
        -Ben =) >>

        Baywatch was the most watched television series for years as I recall, and
        Fastlane seems to be doing well. If its pretty, and has action, you can bet
        theres an audience for it.
      • Ben Kalman
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 3, 2002
          Yes, but Baywatch had *real people* (well...enhanced real people;), and this
          is a cartoon drawn by people emulating a hack perfectionist who used to draw
          pretty pictures once 6 years ago...

        • heebiejeebie21@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 3, 2002
            In a message dated 03/12/02 02:18:18 Central Standard Time,
            Kergillian@... writes:

            << Yes, but Baywatch had *real people* (well...enhanced real people;), and
            this
            is a cartoon drawn by people emulating a hack perfectionist who used to draw
            pretty pictures once 6 years ago...

            Cheers!
            -Ben =) >>

            I didnt know there was such a thing as a hack perfectionist.
          • Ben Kalman
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 3, 2002
              he's a perfectionist but he spends so much time on everything that not only
              does it end up looking horrible, but there's hardly anything to look at
              because barely anything he does ever makes it to the stands - hence he's a
              hack because he never gets anything done on time...

              I've rarely encountered anyone so full of himself over less than average
              talent. He used to be good, but he could never expand beyond a very small
              spectrum of style, and now everything he does is the same. He'll always be a
              2nd rate MacFarlane in my books...

            • D <DSTORRES75@YAHOO.COM>
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 10, 2002
                --- In wildstormfan@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Kalman" <Kergillian@h...> wrote:
                > he's a perfectionist but he spends so much time on everything that not only
                > does it end up looking horrible, but there's hardly anything to look at
                > because barely anything he does ever makes it to the stands - hence he's a
                > hack because he never gets anything done on time...

                I agree with ben to a small degree on this point. I wouldn't mind JSC taking
                his time if he drew the entire series before the 1st issue was solicited so that it
                only needed to be printed and shipped (thus shipping on time- a bizzare
                concept I know). I disagree that it looks horrible though because it looks very
                nice when he's done. (in my opinion)

                > I've rarely encountered anyone so full of himself over less than average
                > talent.

                Mark Millar

                >He used to be good, but he could never expand beyond a very small
                spectrum of style, and now everything he does is the same. He'll always
                be a 2nd rate MacFarlane in my books...

                MacFarlene is a 2nd rate MacFarlane these days. Even in his hayday Todd
                was only a 2nd rate Jim Lee. At least Jim still draws (as does JSC).

                JSC just has to get organized when he starts a project, stick to a time table
                and not solicite anything till the entire project, story arc, etc is almost
                completed.

              • Ben Kalman
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 10, 2002
                  well I used to really like JSC's art, but now it looks overworked. Too
                  glossy, too polished. I prefer a slight bit of...'sloppiness'?...in my art.
                  Which is why Tony Daniels is one of my absolute favs.

                  Which isn't to say precision art isn't great, but Neal Adams and Art Adams
                  did some absolutely fantastic precision art and even when they were a bit
                  slow they never came close to JSC in those terms. Neither did Lee or
                  MacFarlane, save perhaps in the very beginning of Image when the entire
                  printing fiasco hit.

                  And Steampunk was one of the most gorgeous books I've ever laid eyes on for
                  precision art - and it always made it's bi-monthly deadlines...and didn't
                  look overdone or generic.

                  >I agree with ben to a small degree on this point. I wouldn't mind JSC
                  >taking
                  >his time if he drew the entire series before the 1st issue was solicited so
                  >that it
                  >only needed to be printed and shipped (thus shipping on time- a bizzare
                  >concept I know). I disagree that it looks horrible though because it looks
                  >very
                  >nice when he's done. (in my opinion)

                  Ha ha!! Got me there!! I'll give you that one =)

                  > > I've rarely encountered anyone so full of himself over less than average
                  > > talent.
                  >
                  >Mark Millar

                  -grin- MacFarlane isn't much of anything these days;) But in his heyday I'd
                  put him on a higher plateau than Jim Lee - but they had different styles so
                  it's not too easy a comparison. Still, Mac's work on Spider-Man and early
                  Spawn ranks among some of the nicest comic art I've seen. Lee's work on
                  WildCATS was brilliant, but his work on X-Men? I wasn't all that big on it.

                  Mac's Hulk was also really nice...much better than Keown's ever was. (Tho my
                  fav HUlk art was Sam Keith's fill issue vs. Mister Hyde...) and outdid Lee's
                  Alpha Flight. Part of the problem is that I much prefer John Byrne to Jim
                  Lee, so he was always compared to a very high standard, whereas MacFarlane
                  never had that comparison because I was never a huge fan of Buscema or
                  Romita...

                  Cheers!
                  -Ben =)

                • heebiejeebie21@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 10, 2002
                    In a message dated 10/12/02 11:12:42 Central Standard Time,
                    DSTORRES75@... writes:

                    << MacFarlene is a 2nd rate MacFarlane these days. Even in his hayday Todd
                    was only a 2nd rate Jim Lee. At least Jim still draws (as does JSC >>

                    2nd rate Jim Lee? wha.....Todds work never looked like Jim's. And while Todd
                    certainly used a lot of flash to cover up his anatomy problems, I'd challenge
                    anyone to find a Spiderman artist to this day who could make Spiderman look
                    as cool as Todd did in Torment, and in his following storylines(The Ghost
                    Rider arc, and the Wendigo arc). To this day, when I throw that trade into my
                    friends laps, they're blown away by it (keeping in mind, my friends dont read
                    comics)

                    JSC's worked moved far away from whatever Todd influence it had years ago,
                    he's hardly a 2nd rate Todd. JSC became his own artist a long time ago,
                    however slow he is, he has a lot of talent, anyone who says otherwise is
                    being too cynical.
                  • heebiejeebie21@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 10, 2002
                      In a message dated 10/12/02 14:54:27 Central Standard Time,
                      Kergillian@... writes:

                      << And Steampunk was one of the most gorgeous books I've ever laid eyes on
                      for
                      precision art - and it always made it's bi-monthly deadlines...and didn't
                      look overdone or generic >>

                      One of the few things we agree on :) I love Bachalos work, although, and this
                      is just personal preference, I liked his work more on Death and early
                      Generation X, it was raw, and more 'realistic' Part of that, Im sure, was
                      also his collaborating with the talented Mark Buckingham.

                      While I still dig JSC, I think style wise, I also preferred when he didnt
                      exaggerate his characters so much as well. His work now almost has a
                      caricature type vibe to it, big heads, small bodies. Still talented, I just
                      prefer his style when its tempered down.
                    • Ben Kalman
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 10, 2002
                        -grin- I have a hunch we agree an alot - we're just too busy arguing about
                        what we don't agree to figure out what;)

                        I'm still irritated that they cancelled Steampunk *4 issues* from its
                        end...I'd like to know what Bachalo's up to these days...

                        >One of the few things we agree on :) I love Bachalos work, although, and
                        >this
                        >is just personal preference, I liked his work more on Death and early
                        >Generation X, it was raw, and more 'realistic' Part of that, Im sure, was
                        >also his collaborating with the talented Mark Buckingham.

                        Well that's *exactly* what I was getting at. He's trying too hard. He's such
                        a perfectionist that his work ends up becoming (perfect word as you put it)
                        a caricature of itself. When it was more raw with a touch of sloppiness, was
                        when it was really good. I never said he wasn't talented, I just think that
                        he's wasted his talent in a search for a kind of perfection he doesn't even
                        *need*...

                        >While I still dig JSC, I think style wise, I also preferred when he didnt
                        >exaggerate his characters so much as well. His work now almost has a
                        >caricature type vibe to it, big heads, small bodies. Still talented, I just
                        >prefer his style when its tempered down.

                      • John McMahon
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 11, 2002
                          From: "Ben Kalman" <Kergillian@...>
                          > I'm still irritated that they cancelled Steampunk *4 issues* from its
                          > end...I'd like to know what Bachalo's up to these days...

                          He's doing the UItimate X-Men/Ultimates cross-over mini-series
                          "Ultimate War" for Marvel, #1 shipped last week.

                          J.
                        • Ben Kalman
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 11, 2002
                            ahhh, I'll have to track that down and take a look at it then...thanks!

                            Cheers!
                            -Ben =)

                          • D <DSTORRES75@YAHOO.COM>
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 13, 2002
                              --- In wildstormfan@yahoogroups.com, heebiejeebie21@a...
                              wrote:
                              > In a message dated 10/12/02 11:12:42 Central Standard Time,
                              > DSTORRES75@Y... writes:
                              >
                              > << MacFarlene is a 2nd rate MacFarlane these days. Even in
                              his hayday Todd
                              > was only a 2nd rate Jim Lee. At least Jim still draws (as does
                              JSC >>

                              > 2nd rate Jim Lee? wha.....Todds work never looked like Jim's.
                              And while Todd certainly used a lot of flash to cover up his
                              anatomy problems, I'd challenge anyone to find a Spiderman
                              artist to this day who could make Spiderman look as cool as
                              Todd did in Torment, and in his following storylines(The Ghost
                              Rider arc, and the Wendigo arc). To this day, when I throw that
                              trade into my friends laps, they're blown away by it (keeping in
                              mind, my friends dont read comics)

                              Todd was a good artist a decade ago. His art was very flashy
                              but not always to my liking (his last issue of Spider-man for
                              example, that was horible looking). While I didn't care for
                              torment I did love the Ghost Rider/Hobgoblin story. The Wendigo
                              story arc was weak (how can a supernatural creature thats gone
                              toe to toe with Wolverine and the Hulk at the same time be hurt
                              by a mere bullet???).

                              As for artists as good as Todd Drawing Spidey:
                              Steve Skorce (ASM vol 1) Joe Bennet (SM Unlimited- the quarterly
                              version, not the cartoon one), John Romita JR (ASM Vol 1 & 2,
                              PPSM Vol 1&2 and virtually every other marvel book at one point
                              in time)

                              > JSC's worked moved far away from whatever Todd influence it
                              had years ago, he's hardly a 2nd rate Todd. JSC became his
                              own artist a long time ago, however slow he is, he has a lot of
                              talent, anyone who says otherwise is being too cynical.

                              JSC's work never looked like Todd's. JSC was a disney/manga
                              style. On a side note I don't recall Todd ever drawing Power
                              Armors in spidey (i haven't read most of his Hulk run). Todd has
                              never been much of a Tech (weapons, armor, etc) person.
                            • Ben Kalman
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 13, 2002

                                Don't know of the first 2, but Romita can't draw Spider-Man if his life depended on it. His art is completely second rate. Todd MacFarlane's wastebasket has better art.

                                >As for artists as good as Todd Drawing Spidey:
                                >Steve Skorce (ASM vol 1) Joe Bennet (SM Unlimited- the quarterly
                                >version, not the cartoon one), John Romita JR (ASM Vol 1 & 2,
                                >PPSM Vol 1&2 and virtually every other marvel book at one point
                                >in time)

                                I think you need to look again at his early WS stuff, he was a total Todd ripoff. Especially his faces. Not quite as close to Todd as Larsen, but pretty damn close. And he had some of the same anatomy issues.

                                Cheers!

                                                   -Ben =)

                                >JSC's work never looked like Todd's. JSC was a disney/manga

                                >style. On a side note I don't recall Todd ever drawing Power

                                >Armors in spidey (i haven't read most of his Hulk run). Todd has
                                >never been much of a Tech (weapons, armor, etc) person.

                              • Jason Hall
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 13, 2002
                                  Ummm, heheh, that's humorous. You may not like his style, but at least JRJR doesn't need to fake every bit of his anatomy.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 14, 2002
                                    In a message dated 13/12/02 19:45:25 Central Standard Time,
                                    Kergillian@... writes:

                                    << Don't know of the first 2, but Romita can't draw Spider-Man if his life
                                    depended on it. His art is completely second rate. Todd MacFarlane's
                                    wastebasket has better art >>

                                    Well, art is subjective, and while Im not a hardcore Romita fan, I think the
                                    man has serious storytelling skillz. His art is raw, and Ive come to enjoy
                                    it, if anything, trying to combine 'Liquid'esque color over his pencils is
                                    the biggest mistake. Make no mistake though, Romita is extremely talented,
                                    and fast, he simply chooses to not go down the flashy route
                                  • Ben Kalman
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 14, 2002
                                      I read AMS purely because I adore JMS, and although I think JR's work has
                                      improved a touch, he's the shadow of his father. And not one issuer goes by
                                      where I'm not terribly disappointed in the second-rate poses and boring
                                      scenery. Maybe Todd had some anatomy issues, but his art was always exciting
                                      and different; and it always looked sweeeeet!

                                      Cheers!
                                      -Ben =)

                                      >Ummm, heheh, that's humorous. You may not like his style, but at least JRJR
                                      >doesn't need to fake every bit of his anatomy.
                                      >

                                      > Don't know of the first 2, but Romita can't draw Spider-Man if his life
                                      >depended on it. His art is completely second rate. Todd MacFarlane's
                                      >wastebasket has better art.

                                    • Mathieu Doublet
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 14, 2002
                                        En réponse à Ben Kalman <Kergillian@...>:

                                        > Maybe Todd had some anatomy issues, but his art was always
                                        > exciting and different; and it always looked sweeeeet!

                                        For the anatomy point, Spidey sure looked cooler when it was drawn by McFarlane
                                        (but I still don't understand why the eyes on his mask were so big). But let's
                                        face it, when JRJR draws people, they don't look like they were out of the
                                        freak circus ...

                                        Sgt pépère
                                      • Ben Kalman
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 14, 2002
                                          -grin- let's not forget we're reading *comic* books...Spider-Man has
                                          spider-like powers received from a radioactive spider bite...so since that's
                                          a rather freak show situation, then does a freak circus look seem so out of
                                          place?

                                          Things like the re-vamped spider-web, MJ's new (at the time) hairstyle,
                                          Spawn's cape and costume...his faces in general - these added a flavour that
                                          JRJR just doesn't have. There's nothing special or unique about his art.
                                          From a technical anatmoical point of view, sure, it's 'better' in some ways
                                          - I've taken anatomical drawing classes so I understand the point that
                                          people have made. But it's better to be able to cover up one's problems in a
                                          gorgeous and unique way, than to be just plain ordinary.

                                          And *many* of the great Marvel artists had issues here and there from a
                                          technical point of views; even Kirby and Byrne and Miller and neal Adams can
                                          be criticized - nobody's a perfect artist. But in my book, interesting gets
                                          more marks than technical or anatomical precision. And therefore Todd rates
                                          MUCH higher than JRJR.

                                          Cheers!
                                          -Ben =)

                                        • heebiejeebie21@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 14, 2002
                                            In a message dated 15/12/02 00:08:44 Central Standard Time,
                                            Kergillian@... writes:

                                            << And *many* of the great Marvel artists had issues here and there from a
                                            technical point of views; even Kirby and Byrne and Miller and neal Adams can
                                            be criticized - nobody's a perfect artist. But in my book, interesting gets
                                            more marks than technical or anatomical precision. And therefore Todd rates
                                            MUCH higher than JRJR.

                                            Cheers!
                                            -Ben =) >>

                                            Heres the catch though, flash isnt hard to do. Todd did some pretty work, but
                                            really, it was just lots of extra tiny lines and crazy webbing all over the
                                            place, it helped that he was a really good inker as well. The hard part is
                                            the basics, anatomy, storytelling, all that jazz. If JRJR wanted to go the
                                            flashy route, he could, but he chooses to brand his work with his own unique
                                            style and take.

                                            Take away the flashy componets, and Todds work would look fairly weak, Todd
                                            himself has admitted that much. Infact, if you look at Todds work on early
                                            issues of Spiderman, you'll see what Im talking about, somebody else inked
                                            over him and it was very flat work.

                                            Im not trying to downplay Todd though, I loved his later renditions of
                                            Spiderman, but he never got some of the basics down...he hid behind the hard
                                            parts with cool capes and over the top poses. JRJR on the hand, has his act
                                            together, plus, he can rock out two books a month, that alone is an amazing
                                            feat.
                                          • Mathieu Doublet
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 15, 2002
                                              En réponse à heebiejeebie21@...:

                                              >>> But in my book, interesting gets
                                              > more marks than technical or anatomical precision.
                                              Hey, Ben, what do you think of Rob Liefeld's non-anatomical but flashy
                                              style ? ;-)

                                              Sgt pépère
                                            • Nuno Franco
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 15, 2002
                                                >From: Mathieu Doublet <onirique@...>
                                                >Subject: [wildstormfan] JRJR vs McFarlane on Spidey

                                                >En r�ponse � Ben Kalman <Kergillian@...>:
                                                >
                                                > > Maybe Todd had some anatomy issues, but his art was always
                                                > > exciting and different; and it always looked sweeeeet!
                                                >
                                                >For the anatomy point, Spidey sure looked cooler when it was drawn by
                                                >McFarlane
                                                >(but I still don't understand why the eyes on his mask were so big). But
                                                >let's
                                                >face it, when JRJR draws people, they don't look like they were out of the
                                                >freak circus ...

                                                Well, you guys have to remember that Todd's art in Infinity Inc was much
                                                different than his art on Hulk, Spider-Man and Spawn, for the better, of
                                                course.

                                                N. Franco

                                              • Nuno Franco
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 15, 2002
                                                  >From: "Ben Kalman" <Kergillian@...>
                                                  >Subject: Re: [wildstormfan] JRJR vs McFarlane on Spidey

                                                  >And *many* of the great Marvel artists had issues here and there from a
                                                  >technical point of views; even Kirby and Byrne and Miller and neal Adams
                                                  >can
                                                  >be criticized - nobody's a perfect artist. But in my book, interesting gets
                                                  >more marks than technical or anatomical precision. And therefore Todd rates
                                                  >MUCH higher than JRJR.

                                                  Well Ben, dont take me wrong, but I gather that you prefer the "kewlness"
                                                  factor. In that view, then Liefield is also better than JRJR.

                                                  N. Franco

                                                • Ben Kalman
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 15, 2002
                                                    My biggest problem with Liefeld was that he got so caught up in himself that
                                                    his ta;ent vaporized. If you look at his early work, from Hawk and Dove
                                                    through X-Force, his art's actually not bad, and his stories were excellent.
                                                    Even early Youngblood had its moments. But after that, it corroded and his
                                                    art became a caricature of itsel. But I don't remember MacFarlane's spines
                                                    ever being at a 45 degree angle, waists being needle thin with superhuman
                                                    breasts, or muscles having more veins than a gold mine.

                                                    Actually, in the latter days of Extreme Studios and Liefeld's Heroes Reborn
                                                    stint, Chap yaep did a better job at drawing Liefeld art than Liefeld had in
                                                    a *long* time...

                                                    Still, there were some other decent Liefeld works - Grifter/Badrock was
                                                    pretty sweet, and (cover aside) I liked a lot of the interior work on
                                                    Glory/Avangelyne.

                                                    Cheers!
                                                    -Ben =)

                                                    > Hey, Ben, what do you think of Rob Liefeld's non-anatomical but flashy
                                                    >style ? ;-)

                                                  • Ben Kalman
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Dec 15, 2002
                                                      It's not the 'kewlness' factor. Simply put, I like art that is exciting and
                                                      looks good. Art isn't even the important thing for me when reading a comic -
                                                      I prefer a good plot and bad art to a gorgeous comic with no story, but for
                                                      my taste in art, it has to be interesting, exciting, and perfect technical
                                                      art that is a plain and boring as the next guy's (like JRJR) doesn't do
                                                      anything for me.

                                                      My fav artists are both old and new: Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, John Byrne,
                                                      Frank Miller, Neal and Art Adams, Sam Keith, Tony Daniels, Todd MacFarlane,
                                                      Chris Bachalo, Richard Case, Allan Im, and Jay Anceleto. Jim and Jae Lee,
                                                      and Whilce Portacio in their early days. A hodgepodge of style and some are
                                                      better than others in different respects. The one thing that binds them all
                                                      together is that they're all really exciting, and portray a story in an
                                                      interesting and well-developed manner, making me want to look at the art and
                                                      turn the page for more than just the story.

                                                      Cheers!
                                                      -Ben =)

                                                      >Well Ben, dont take me wrong, but I gather that you prefer the "kewlness"
                                                      >factor. In that view, then Liefield is also better than JRJR.
                                                      >
                                                      >N. Franco

                                                    • Curtis Jenkins
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Dec 15, 2002
                                                        I saw you mentioned Allan Im, what's he been up to? I havent seen hide nor hair of him out side of a Union issue from 94/95

                                                        Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened.

                                                        Do you Yahoo!?
                                                      • Ben Kalman
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Dec 15, 2002
                                                          I'm not too sure...I lost track of him around the same time...he did some
                                                          pinups for Grifter Vol. 1 as well - around the same time as Union I
                                                          guess...and he did a lot of art for the WS CCG...I think I remember seeing
                                                          his name in one of the recent WS anthologies - the Thunderbook maybe? Or
                                                          Gen-Active? And I also seem to remember hearing his name regarding some
                                                          Marvel book not too long ago, but I can't for the life of me remember which
                                                          one.

                                                          Cheers!
                                                          -Ben =)