Wildstorm news from SDCC

  • John McMahon
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2002
      Courtesy of http://www.newsarama.com/ (site includes
      additional images)

      * Point Blank #1 and Wildcats Version 3.0 #1 will have a free
      50% overship.

      * Backlash will be appearing in Point Blank.

      * Danger Girl will return in early 2003 in a 48-page one-shot
      entitled danger Girl: Hawaiian Punch, written by creators
      J. Scott Campbell and Andy Hartnell, with art by Phil
      (Beautiful Killer) Noto.

      * Alan Moore and Zander Cannon's Top 10: Smax the
      Barbarian is tentatively slated to be in stores in April
      2003, while Top 10: The 49ers graphic novel is being
      prepped for a summer, 2003 release.

      * Sam Kieth will bring back Zero Girl in Zero Girl: Full
      Circle, a five issue limited series beginning in
      November.

      * Warren Ellis' MEK is slated to launch in November, with
      art by Steve Rolston.

      There are other little bits and pieces at the site too so go
      see for yourselves.

      J.
    • davidstallard@cs.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2002
        John said:
        >>* Point Blank #1 and Wildcats Version 3.0 #1 will have a free
        50% overship. <<

        This means that they are going to give extra copies to retailers for free, right?  I'm not sure I understand how this helps the comic book publisher...just having more copies on the shelf doesn't mean more people will buy it, does it?

        >>* Backlash will be appearing in Point Blank.<<

        Sweet!  For some reason I have it in my head that Point Blank (and the followup regular series, the name of which escapes me right now) has the biggest chance of keeping Wildstorm continuity alive.  I have no basis for that impression, though.  :)  And actually it sounds like the new Stormwatch is going to be continuity-friendly as well.

        >>* Danger Girl will return in early 2003 in a 48-page one-shot
        entitled danger Girl: Hawaiian Punch, written by creators
        J. Scott Campbell and Andy Hartnell, with art by Phil
        (Beautiful Killer) Noto. <<

        I've never read Danger Girl and don't have any interest in either reading the old stuff or trying this new stuff.  :)

        >>* Alan Moore and Zander Cannon's Top 10: Smax the
        Barbarian is tentatively slated to be in stores in April
        2003, while Top 10: The 49ers graphic novel is being
        prepped for a summer, 2003 release.<<

        I thought Top 10 was pretty cool, but near the end I found my interest waning for some reason.  At this point, I don't really expect to be buying these two Top 10 books next year, but a lot could change between now and then.  I'm not currently reading any of the ABC stuff.

        >>* Sam Kieth will bring back Zero Girl in Zero Girl: Full
        Circle, a five issue limited series beginning in
        November. <<

        I'm just not drawn to Sam Kieth's stuff...even back in the Image heyday, I didn't really like The Maxx.  Imagine my surprise when it became an HBO animated series.  :)

        >>* Warren Ellis' MEK is slated to launch in November, with
        art by Steve Rolston. <<

        This sounds like it could be pretty cool, but this is one of those "need to read the first issue before I can get a solid handle on what the book's all aobut" projects.

        David
      • DocWagon
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2002
          > >>* Danger Girl will return in early 2003 in a 48-page one-shot entitled
          danger Girl: Hawaiian Punch, written by creators J. Scott Campbell and Andy
          Hartnell, with art by Phil (Beautiful Killer) Noto. <<

          > I've never read Danger Girl and don't have any interest in either reading
          the old stuff or trying this new stuff. :)

          Oh, you're missing a lot there, David...IMO, of course. ;) I hadn't thought
          much about it myself, until a mostly non-comic-reading friend of mine got
          all excited about it after seeing online stuff for it and asked me to get
          him a copy of the hardcover. I got it, read it (of course), then went and
          got my own copy a few weeks later. :)

          Doc'
        • TUvetgirl
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2002
            --- In wildstormfan@y..., "John McMahon" <jmcmahon@i...> wrote:

            > * Warren Ellis' MEK is slated to launch in November, with
            > art by Steve Rolston.

            I don't know if you guys mentioned it, but what is MEK about?

            -Nicole
          • John McMahon
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 5, 2002
              TUvetgirl wrote:

              > I don't know if you guys mentioned it, but what is MEK about?

              From Newsarama -

              Warren Ellis’ MEK is slated to launch in November, with art by
              Steve Rolston. If you’ve missed the reports on the series so
              far, “MEK” refers to a technology by which teens are able to
              make bodily enhancements. The miniseries finds Sarissa Leon,
              one of the leaders of the “MEK” movement, retuning home to
              L.A., only to find the city overrun with the MEKs, and
              her former boyfriend murdered
            • TUvetgirl
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 5, 2002
                --- In wildstormfan@y..., John McMahon <jmcmahon@i...> wrote:
                > From Newsarama -
                >
                > Warren Ellis' MEK is slated to launch in November, with art by
                > Steve Rolston. If you've missed the reports on the series so
                > far, "MEK" refers to a technology by which teens are able to
                > make bodily enhancements. The miniseries finds Sarissa Leon,
                > one of the leaders of the "MEK" movement, retuning home to
                > L.A., only to find the city overrun with the MEKs, and
                > her former boyfriend murdered

                Is this a book geared more for general audiences and geared toward
                teens or is this for adults? I didn't think Warren was writing for
                general audiences anymore esp. for teens.

                -Nicole
              • Ben Kalman
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 5, 2002
                  -grin- I don't think Warren Ellis has *ever* written anything for
                  teens...unless it was to intentionally traumatize them for a
                  direct-to-institution serenade;)

                  Warren Ellis tends to write for Warren Ellis, and for anyone who can be
                  bothered to read what he has to offer (which is IMHO usually rather
                  interesting if only because his books are so different from the normal
                  boring and generic comics everyone else seems to be dishing out...). I think
                  MEK and Global Frequency are going to be a cross between his Authority-style
                  and his Avatar stuff...an attempt at Wildstorm a la cutting edge. But
                  whatever it ends up being, I'll buy it;) Aside from the horrible Bad World
                  mishap, I've yet to find anything he's done in the last 5 years that hasn't
                  been a great read.

                  Cheers!
                  -Ben =)

                  >Is this a book geared more for general audiences and geared toward
                  >teens or is this for adults? I didn't think Warren was writing for
                  >general audiences anymore esp. for teens.
                  >
                  >-Nicole

                • David Stallard
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 16, 2005
                    If you go this link and click "Get it here!" you can see a slideshow of what Wildstorm has announced about current and upcoming projects.  I'll summarize them all below:

                    * Wildsiderz - nothing new to report.
                    * Captain Atom - yes, the DC character will now get a Wildstorm-published 9-issue miniseries.  Starts in October.
                    * Wildcats: Nemesis: - nothing new to report. Starts in September.
                    * Team Zero - a 6 issue mini by Chuck Dixon set during World War II and featuring the original owner of the codename Deathblow (ie., not Michael Cray).  Starts in December.
                    * The Authority: The Magnificent Kevin - Starts in September.
                    * Astro City: The Dark Age - nothing new to report.

                    My commentary:

                    * Why isn't Captain Atom being published under the DC heading?  Is this a charity act by DC to try and boost Wildstorm numbers?  If Wildstorm is going to publish DC books, then what makes it separate and distinct from DC?

                    * Aw yeah, Chuck Dixon!  Unfortunately, this is a flashback mini so it does nothing really to help the current state of the Wildstorm Universe.  But it's Chuck Dixon writing a Team 7 (sorta) story!  Aw yeah!
                  • Nuno Franco
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 17, 2005
                      >From: "David Stallard" <dstallar@...>
                      >Subject: [wildstormfan] Wildstorm news from SDCC

                      >If you go this link and click "Get it here!" you can see a slideshow of
                      >what Wildstorm has announced about current and upcoming projects. I'll
                      >summarize them all below:
                      >
                      >* Team Zero - a 6 issue mini by Chuck Dixon set during World War II and
                      >featuring the original owner of the codename Deathblow (ie., not Michael
                      >Cray). Starts in December.

                      And it features Backlash.

                      >My commentary:
                      >
                      >* Why isn't Captain Atom being published under the DC heading? Is this a
                      >charity act by DC to try and boost Wildstorm numbers? If Wildstorm is
                      >going to publish DC books, then what makes it separate and distinct from
                      >DC?

                      And what's the problem with that? It makes perfectly sense, as Will Pfeifer
                      explained it at the panel. Besides, for years there were rumours that WS
                      would be revitalizing some DC characters so I guess now's the time...

                      N. Franco

                    • Pygmalion
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 17, 2005
                        > >* Why isn't Captain Atom being published under the DC heading? Is this
                        > >charity act by DC to try and boost Wildstorm numbers? If Wildstorm is
                        > >going to publish DC books, then what makes it separate and distinct
                        from
                        > >DC?
                        >
                        > And what's the problem with that? It makes perfectly sense, as Will
                        Pfeifer
                        > explained it at the panel. Besides, for years there were rumours that WS
                        > would be revitalizing some DC characters so I guess now's the time...

                        Well, maybe this would just be similar to when Majestic got stucked in
                        DCU...
                      • PJ Mason
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 17, 2005
                          Bought and sold. ;)