Re: [wildstormfan] Kindred II

  • davidstallard@cs.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1 11:22 AM
      In a message dated 1/31/02 12:24:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      aric_dacia@... writes:
      > I really liked the Backlash series (it's my favorite Wildstorm series
      > next to the classic 'Cats), but never bought Wildcore -- is it worth
      > picking up? Mile High Comics has Wildcore issues, but they're
      > surpisingly expensive. Were the print runs really low on those?

      A year or so back, I remember Mile High Comics raised their prices on
      everything. It was a substantial increase, and what was surprising was that
      it was across the board -- even stuff that you'd think nobody wants, such as
      Rob Liefeld's old Image books, were still going for a hefty price. That
      lasted for several months, and then they dropped their prices somewhat. I
      haven't been in the market for back issues in a while so I haven't checked in
      with their site in months...maybe they decided to raise their prices again?

      Anyway, about Wildcore.... Visually, it is stunning. It's got the same
      great Brett Booth art which you probably loved on Backlash's series, but the
      coloring is considerably better -- in fact, it may just have the best
      coloring Wildstorm has ever done (although the coloring for Brass volume 2
      was incredible too). About halfway through the run (which only lasted 10
      issues), Booth left and I believe it was Ryan Benjamin who took over. I
      don't really remember his art on the title, but others have said that it was
      horrible. So anyway, at least half of the title is worth getting for the art
      alone.

      As for writing, though, Wildcore was a mess. They had way too many main
      characters, so they were always fumbling around trying to give everyone some
      time in the spotlight. Plus, they launched into an "alternate reality" story
      way too early in the title's lifespan...you hadn't even gotten a firm hold on
      the "real" reality before it was taken away and they went to some
      medieval-type world (if memory serves).

      All that said, I thought Wildcore was decent enough. I think a Backlash fan
      would definitely get a kick out of it. By the way, Zealot (sporting a new
      hairstyle) was a member of Wildcore, so it has a WildCATs connection as well.

      David