Fw: [zoo-biology] Rotating keeper staff

  • jcschaul@aim.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2009
      I apologize for the cross posting, but I find this to be an interesting topic-jordan

      From: "Ross Snipp"
      Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:58:44 -0000
      To: <zoo-biology@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [zoo-biology] Rotating keeper staff

      Hi All,

      I agree with the replies that rotating keepers through different areas is
      definitely an aid to training (staff that is). I also feel that is develops
      a more cohesive team of keepers, with a working knowledge of all of the
      areas of a zoo. After x period of time I believe that staff should be
      allowed to specialize within a specific area, in order to make full use of
      their skills/enthusiasm.

      Jill, very interested in your reply re: the cats at Hogle Zoo. Neophobia of
      the animals is often quoted here as the reason for staff remaining in one
      area. The animals become used to working for a small group of people, and
      change can have a negative affect on them (the animals that is). As the
      frequent change of enrichment is recognized as having a positive benefit to
      animals, I wonder whether frequent change of keepers working with the animal
      could also have a positive benefit?

      Cheers,

      Ross

      Ross Snipp MSc
      Zoo Manager
      Flamingo Land
      Kirby Misperton
      Malton
      North Yorkshire
      YO17 6UX
      Tel: 01653 668287 ext267
      From: jcschaul@aim. com <mailto:jcschaul% 40aim.com>

      Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:28:18
      To: <zoo-biology@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:zoo- biology%40yahoog roups.com> >

      I worked as a general relief keeper at a regional zoo before taking on a
      designated area position.. In my opinion, it provides a great opportunity to
      learn what taxa one might prefer to work with, but much of the job requires
      that you almost finesse the position responsibilities. This was due to the
      nature of the job ( having to remember the basics of all the routines as
      opposed to the details that the regular string or area relief keepers tend
      to). With that said, a keeper with such versatility may be better prepared
      as a husbandry professional in an era when mixed species exhibit management
      has become the norm. From a management perspective, it is nice to have staff
      members trained to work a variety of positions in the event that they are
      needed to fill in, permit area staff to work on husbandry training
      initiatives, tend to medical procedures, exhibit maintenance, etc.. There
      are perhaps some drawbacks with regard to the potential for
      miscommunication, updating keeper boards, and preventive medicine (a keeper
      who is highly mobile becomes a human fomite, with regard to communicable
      disease transmission) . Hence, they should, for instance, have several pairs
      of boots at designated stations, if possible. I find this to be an
      interesting topic and would love to here the opinions of others. And
      remember- if you are on facebook, please join the AAZK group. I'm sending
      this message from my phone and don't have the link, but you can search
      American Association. of Zoo Keepers. Shane Good and I welcome members of
      the global zoo community to join the group as well as the ICZ facebook
      group. Thanks.
      Best Regards,
      Jordan Schaul, PhD