An account of Wild Bill's death

  • mizz_opal
    Message 1 of 3501 , Aug 2 9:12 AM
      In the downward spiral which overtook him {Wild
      Bill} then, he tried vainly to resume a career as a
      gambler, but no longer possessed the requisite skills and
      just barely was able to keep himself properly suited
      and situated so as to hold on to the reputation and
      the illusion. He was repeatedly arrested for
      vagrancy; he was seldom sober; he was 39.<br><br>Back in
      Deadwood, at Sweeney's Silver Dollar Saloon, Wild Bill was
      playing a game of low stakes poker at his usual table in
      the corner near the door. Jack McCall, who was
      drinking heavily at the bar, saw him there and his face
      turned a deep crimson, but he said nothing.
      in Kansas. This probably was correct, considering
      that Lew McCall was a thief and a loud-mouth, and had
      met his end in Abilene in a gunfight with a "lawman."
      Remaining quiet and unobtrusive, McCall slowly walked
      around to the corner of the saloon where Hickok was
      playing his game. Under his coat, McCall's hand was on
      his double-action pistol, a .45. He came up slowly
      behind Hickok, attempting to create the impression that
      he was a casual observer of the game, and in this
      attempt watched several hands being played. As everyone's
      attention was focused on the player opposite Hickok, as
      that man placed his bet, McCall withdrew his revolver
      and shot Wild Bill Hickok in the back of the head,
      killing him instantly.<br><br>Wild Bill held a pair of
      eights, and a pair of Aces, which ever since that moment
      have been known as a "dead man's hand."<br><br>James
      Butler Hickok was buried in the cemetery outside
      Deadwood. Calamity Jane insisted that a proper grave be
      built in honor of the man she still loved, and an
      enclosure 10'x10' was built around his burial plot. On top
      of that little encircling stone wall was placed a 3'
      fence which had fancy cast iron filigree on top, and a
      small American flag was stuck into the ground in front
      of the tombstone in honor of his service in the
    • deadeye_dolly
      Message 3501 of 3501 , Jun 16, 2007
        Oh Miz Opal, brought back some fond memories tonight,
        took a look see that that new movie "Ghost Rider" with
        Nick Cage, Sam Elliott and Peter Fonda!!!

        http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0259324/

        Don't think I got enough of this song yet <LOL>

        The composer, Christopher Young, has some interesting
        movie scores to his name

        http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0002366/

        ~ Dolly