Re: peat

  • Sherri Kish
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1 5:15 PM
      What type of peat is everyone using? I'm at the
      beginning of a new "era" in betta/fishkeeping in that
      I'm interested in some fish who require low pH.

      My water is 7.6-7.8 now, and I'm considering peat as a
      method of lower my pH and "tanning" my water. But, I'm
      uncertain as to which type of peat to use.

      I believe once I get a set way to lower my pH and keep
      it lowered I'll be getting a few wild types, and some
      licorice gourami.

      Interested in your methods and thanks in advance!

      Sherri
      http://www.bettadreams.com

      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
      http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
    • Joseph Aliberti
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1 5:25 PM
        Hi Sherri,

        Where I reside only two types are available: with
        manure and without manure... choosing which one to get
        can sometimes be difficult. (Just kidding!)
        I have read however that some do contain chemicals and
        to read the packaging carefully in order to determine
        so.

        As far as methods, I fill ten gallon tanks half way
        with peat and then the rest with water. Siphon it off
        every 12 hours through a brine shrimp net. Good luck
        and let us know if you come across a method you find
        easier/more efficient. - Joe

        --- Sherri Kish <stomkat@...> wrote:
        > What type of peat is everyone using? I'm at the
        > beginning of a new "era" in betta/fishkeeping in
        > that
        > I'm interested in some fish who require low pH.
        >
        > My water is 7.6-7.8 now, and I'm considering peat as
        > method of lower my pH and "tanning" my water. But,
        > I'm
        > uncertain as to which type of peat to use.
        >
        > I believe once I get a set way to lower my pH and
        > keep
        > it lowered I'll be getting a few wild types, and
        > some
        > licorice gourami.
        >
        > Interested in your methods and thanks in advance!
        >
        > Sherri
        > http://www.bettadreams.com

        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
      • Gerald Griffin
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1 5:29 PM
          Well I need to tell you so you do not repeat my
          mistake. I thought all peat was the same and ended up
          with some stuff that almost destroyed the tank (good
          thing I had no fish going in it soon).

          The best stuff to use is Lambert Canadian Spahgnum
          Peat Moss which can be found at Home Depot. Lowes
          does not have anything close to it at all.

          My fish love the stuff (or at least I think they do)
          and all things are great. When you make the tank up,
          boil the peat first so that it will sink quickly,
          otherwise the stuff will float in your tank for days.

          Gerald

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1 6:29 PM
            Gerald do you mean that you actually put the peat
            itself straight into the aquarium w/the fish? How do
            you go about water changes? I mean, if the boiled peat
            sinks... do you siphon off the bottom for water
            changes? And then what just add more sinking peat and
            water after changes? How often? How stable is it this
            way, do you monitor the pH levels in your aquariums?
            And do you use it like this with fry grow out tanks? I
            would think it would be real difficult (I mean more
            difficult than it already is) to siphon peat off the
            tank floor without siphoning off fry as well. - Joe

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1 6:59 PM
              LOL;

              Well maybe I should have explained it a little better.
              I do it two ways.

              The Peat Swamp: This is where I place the peat in the
              tank and let it develop a substrate. This takes a few
              days. After all is settled I add clay pots and
              plants. Wait a few days later and add fish if
              conditions are stable.

              The Peat Filtered Tank: This is just a normal fish
              tank that I filter by placing the peat in tied off
              panty hose creating a peat sock. I monitor the pH and
              adjust as necassary.

              I never add fish until the tank is stable.

              Does that clear that up?

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1 7:16 PM
                Yeah I guess it clears it up some... I was wondering
                about your peat swamp set-up with the peat substrate.
                Do you do water changes by siphoning off the bottom?
                I'm looking at my fry tanks right now as I type this
                and cringing at what a mess that'd be. And you get
                plants to survive in there huh? What's the pH? Heard
                they don't do well in acidic water... read that B.
                macrostoma hail from places where there is absolutely
                no plant growth 'cause the pH in their environment is
                ~4.0 and prevents plant growth.

                About adding fish after your tanks are stable... I've
                been using peat treated water for oh I guess about 2
                months now. I've never been able to get it "stable" in
                the sense where the pH just doesn't move. That is, I
                should say, after adding fish to the water. When I
                siphon water out of my peat treatment tanks into a
                heated holding reservoir it remains stable, but when I
                use that reservoir water in the aquariums the pH rises
                about 0.10 every few hours. And then after a couple or
                few days it's time for a water change to bring the pH
                back down again. - Joe

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1 7:44 PM
                  Well pH is pH, its not too entirely stable. We do
                  what we can, as to siphoning I would like to figure
                  that out myself. As to plants, I have not made up any
                  water below 5 this time so I use hygrophilia and
                  hornwort. If the plants look too bad, then I will
                  pull them, and put them into my plant tank and rotate
                  out. Last time I had a 4.5 tank with Tussyae and used
                  Java Fern and Java Moss. Then never looked too bad.
                  I dont remember them growing at all but they did not
                  die on me, or did not die quickly. But that was about
                  15 years ago.

                  I have seen some low pH buffer stuff but do not know
                  how well it works or whether I should even try any of
                  it.

                • Flaherty Daniel
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1 8:06 PM
                    Hi Sherry,
                    I use sterylized Peat Pellets. I pay $4.75 for a box
                    of 72. These are ideal for lowering Ph and softening
                    your water. I use 1-Pellet for every 2-Gallons of
                    water. When you place these in the tank they expand
                    and are held in a mesh(Stocking Like)and dont make a
                    mess in the tank. They do tare easily and should be
                    handled delicatly. I use these along with Ph6.5 and my
                    Ph goes down from 7.4 to 6.0. I raised my Betta
                    Mahachais using this method and they are thriving.
                    You can get Peat Pellets at Home Depot,Lowes or
                    Wallmart in the Garden Section.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Danny

                    =====
                    http://www.geocities.com/dannydi0/Southernraisedbettas.html

                    HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                    http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
                  • doc
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 2 12:40 AM
                      I use the same thing as Danny but...
                      I also take a small clay pot and put some gravel
                      in the bottom...not too much....then I take a allready
                      soaked and expanded peat pellet and poke a hole in one
                      end...then I put the roots of a plant in it and put it
                      in the clay pot and fill with gravel. No mess on my
                      bare bottom tanks...

                      --- Sherri Kish <stomkat@...> wrote:
                      > What type of peat is everyone using? I'm at the
                      > beginning of a new "era" in betta/fishkeeping in
                      > that
                      > I'm interested in some fish who require low pH.
                      >
                      > My water is 7.6-7.8 now, and I'm considering peat as
                      > method of lower my pH and "tanning" my water. But,
                      > I'm
                      > uncertain as to which type of peat to use.
                      >
                      > I believe once I get a set way to lower my pH and
                      > keep
                      > it lowered I'll be getting a few wild types, and
                      > some
                      > licorice gourami.
                      >
                      > Interested in your methods and thanks in advance!
                      >
                      > Sherri
                      > http://www.bettadreams.com

                      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                      http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
                    • Janice R.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 22 9:46 AM

                        My fish love the stuff (or at least I think they do)
                        and all things are great.  When you make the tank up,
                        boil the peat first so that it will sink quickly,
                        otherwise the stuff will float in your tank for days.

                        How long do you tend to boil it?

                        -Janice
                      • Ralph
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 22 9:53 AM

                          10 minute boil at a healthy boil and then letting it naturally cool will ensure a nice "sinkability".  When you are rinsing off however, do not over-squeeze.

                          Ralph

                           "Janice R." <ritter@...> wrote:

                          My fish love the stuff (or at least I think they do)
                          and all things are great.  When you make the tank up,
                          boil the peat first so that it will sink quickly,
                          otherwise the stuff will float in your tank for days.

                          How long do you tend to boil it?

                          -Janice

                          Who wants those fancy-schmancy splendens anyway? Get some Wilds today!

                          || . . . Too many freaks, not enough circuses. . . ||

                          http://www.eclod.org/
                          http://www.ibc-smp.org/
                          http://www.babb.info/

                          Do you Yahoo!?