Imbellis Spawns!!

  • mcmama96
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
      First off, Yes I am still here! We have been so busy! I do good to
      have time to lurk, much less post! But I am watching!! I have to
      keep an eye on Andrew!!!!!:)
      Anyway, We have 2 pair of green imbellis. We had them in with some
      other fish (tank shortage). Well, we seperated and moved them to
      there new homes this last week and we now have spawns in both tanks!
      So, should I leave the female, pull them both or remove the nest or
      just leave it alone?
      THANKS!!!
      Wanda and Ken
    • rockin12uk
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
        Hi All

        --- In wildbettas@y..., "mcmama96" <wandanewby@e...> wrote:
        > First off, Yes I am still here! We have been so busy! I do good
        > have time to lurk, much less post! But I am watching!! I have to
        > keep an eye on Andrew!!!!!:)

        And you are?? Oh Yes I remember, Wanda, how long has it been? lol. I
        know the feeling:)))

        > Anyway, We have 2 pair of green imbellis. We had them in with some
        > other fish (tank shortage). Well, we seperated and moved them to
        > there new homes this last week and we now have spawns in both
        tanks!
        > So, should I leave the female, pull them both or remove the nest or
        > just leave it alone?

        Here is my take. Remove the nest, when the fry are just about to
        free swim. In the meantime feed the female (and the male might take
        some), and she will soon come into condition again. Do some water
        changes as well in the spawning tank and they should be ready to go
        again in a week or two.

        More in a mo

        Andrew
      • eCLod
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002

          Hi Andrew,

          I have a tank with tons of oak leaves, so much you can barely see water, the pair in there have been spawning on a regular basis.  I really like the way the tank looks so i never moved the parents, also was not in /need/ of producing so many fry from them.  i've got at least 6 spawns in this tank now and it's quite a site to see.  parents, and 6 spawns all different sizes growing up in the tank!

          So far have not seen mom or dad munching on any of the young ones but I expect as the older fry mature they'll start to canibalize on their youngest siblings.

          By the way, are you familiar with Vietnam?  I'd like to go sometime next year to s.e. asia.  Would definately love to visit Nonn, but also would like to go to Vietnam, so many  new species being discovered over there seems like it's quite fascinating.  In addition to the Bettas that might be found there, I have a keen interest in orchids of the Genus Paphiopedilum and they are finding new species left and right.

          You should join us!

          Ralph

          Ralph

           rockin12uk wrote:

          Hi All

          --- In wildbettas@y..., "mcmama96" <wandanewby@e...> wrote:
          > First off, Yes I am still here!  We have been so busy!  I do good
          > have time to lurk, much less post!  But I am watching!! I have to
          > keep an eye on Andrew!!!!!:)

          And you are?? Oh Yes I remember, Wanda, how long has it been? lol.  I
          know the feeling:)))

          > Anyway, We have 2 pair of green imbellis.  We had them in with some
          > other fish (tank shortage).  Well, we seperated and moved them to
          > there new homes this last week and we now have spawns in both
          tanks!
          > So, should I leave the female, pull them both or remove the nest or
          > just leave it alone?

          Here is my take.  Remove the nest, when the fry are just about to
          free swim.  In the meantime feed the female (and the male might take
          some), and she will soon come into condition again.  Do some water
          changes as well in the spawning tank and they should be ready to go
          again in a week or two.

          More in a mo

          Andrew

          Who wants those fancy-schmancy splendens anyway? Get some Wilds today!

          ||Doe't ik dy seach lang ferlyn wat docht it dochs sear as ik d'r wer oan tink||

          http://www.ibc-smp.org/
          http://www.eclod.org/betta/
          http://www.babb.info/bios/Ralph/index.htm

          Do You Yahoo!?

        • rockin12uk
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
            Hi again

            One mo gone by.

            I just searched the archive to refer you all to (and in particular
            Wanda and Ken as they have the spawns on the go) as I remembered I
            had posted something on what I do regarding 'pulling' the male,
            female or nest with Bettas. I found it message number 384 and hey
            guess what, it was in response to a question from Wanda and Ken Newby
            (I wish I knew the emoticon for jolly laughter). sorry

            Naturally I hope that it will be of help and best of luck raising the
            fry

            Cheers

            Andrew
          • thaikilli
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
              Ralph, you are welcome in Thailand anytime, Everybody else too. I live
              10 minutes from the (probably) largest ornamenatal fish market in
              South East Asia, 40 minuts from B. sp. Mahachai's habitat, 1 hour from
              B. splendens's, 4 hours from B. prima's, 5 hours from B. smaragdina's
              and B. imbellis's, 7 hours from B. simplex's, 8 hours from B. pugnax and
              10 hours from B. pi's.

              Be my guest anytime.

              Nonn Panitvong
              http://www.siamensis.org

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2002
                TOO FUNNY!! I remembered that too, but thought you masterminds may
                have something a little different for imbellis!! HE!HE!
                Wanda and Ken