RE: [wildbettas] importing

  • Scotty
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
      Christine, I'm curious as to exactly what F&W are looking for above the
      normal customs inspector's inspection for dope and identification of the
      goods as to invoice, etc.

      I used to do a lot of manufacturing overseas and know just how time
      consuming and totally frustrating it can be. For those of you that have
      never done it, customs has a book on a stand on their counter that has to be
      24" wide with thousands of pages they use to identify what it is that you
      are importing and whether and how much to charge you. It got to the point as
      you say, you wasted a whole day to get one shipment done. After spending a
      few days learning the process I found that the $150 fee that a broker
      charges to do the process for you is cheap compared with the frustration
      involved.

      Scotty
    • eCLod
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
        Christine,

        I wish I had known you before attempting my first
        import shipment. It was a nightmare.

        But I did learn a lot and next time around should be
        much smoother.

        One thing that I learned, and I am not sure if it's
        the same with you, is that you can get around the
        annoying F&W inspection.

        In NYC, F&W inspection hours are 1pm to 7pm M-F. If
        your shipment occurs outside of their normal hours
        they will issue a conditional release. All you have
        to do is bring them the Declaration form the night
        before and they will stamp it.

        When you go to pick up the fish, you get the papers
        from the airline, head over to customs, drop ALL the
        papers you have into the Time sensitive/perisable box
        and wait. It took them 20 minutes to process my
        papers. But this was at 6:30am. Christine, are yours
        marked AMS? When I got my papers back from Custom, it
        was just marked AMS and I didn't pay any custom fees.

        Anyhow, after getting the papers back from Customs,
        you go back to airline and get your package. After
        all is done, you have 2 weeks to return the papers to
        F&W with the custom's stamp. I just dropped mine in
        the mail.

        The whole process took me 4 hours as well, should have
        taken less but I don't know how to drive and had to
        bus from Terminals to Lufthansa Cargo walk 5 miles
        from Lufthansa Cargo to Customs and 5 miles from
        Customs to Lufthansa Cargo then back to Terminal (then
        onto subway for an hour ride back into the city).

        All in all, hellacious as it was also raining and i
        forgot my umbrella hahaha.

        Ralph

        =====
        ||M�fiez-vous des apparences. . . �a n'a aucun sens. . . r�ve de l'endroit � la plus belle s�lection. . . r�ve d'un visage � la pure perfection.||http://www.eclod.org/

        http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • mopargrrl
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
          > Christine, I'm curious as to exactly what F&W are looking for above the
          > normal customs inspector's inspection for dope and identification of the
          > goods as to invoice, etc.

          F&W don't care about the dope - Customs does. F&W cares what
          animals you are importing. I can't bring in snakeheads or pirahna into
          california. Some species of fish require a CITES permit (like some
          of the Asian arrowana) because they are endagered in the wild.

          > I used to do a lot of manufacturing overseas and know just how time
          > consuming and totally frustrating it can be. For those of you that have
          > never done it, customs has a book on a stand on their counter that has to be
          > 24" wide with thousands of pages they use to identify what it is that you
          > are importing and whether and how much to charge you. It got to the point as
          > you say, you wasted a whole day to get one shipment done. After spending a
          > few days learning the process I found that the $150 fee that a broker
          > charges to do the process for you is cheap compared with the frustration
          > involved.

          I know that book. Since i'm only bringing in live fish, i just needed one
          number. Also, no duties on live fish, just a materials processing fee ($6).

          Now that i know the routine, it just costs me a morning and some
          gas money to do it all myself.

          christine