Re: Spawning Coccina

  • Charlotte Dunne
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      I picked up 6 coccina a few years back and man those things spawned
      like weeds. I set up a 5 gallon with lots of almond leaves and peat
      moss until it turned a dark brown, put in java moss and floating film
      canisters (open at both ends) for spawning. The first month or so, no
      action and they were always scared, so I moved them to the back of the
      fish room, taped dark paper around 3 sides & the top of the tank and
      left them to it. I Threw in live food (mostly blackworms and
      brineshrimp, some whiteworms) and once every 3-4 weeks cleaned the tank
      (cleaning the tank always stressed them out so I left it until I
      couldn't stand it, though they seemed happy enough). My tap water was
      soft and very acidic by the time I let the almond leaves and peat soak
      a good 24-48 hours. I Found the first fry during a water change and
      they were a good cm or two long already (Who knows what they were
      eating). Then every water change there were more, various sizes, all
      vividly colored. After I discovered the first fry, I would add
      microworms or vinegar eels every 2-3 days. Otherwise the fry just
      fended for themselves and grew up in the coloney. I broke my arm real
      good and ended up sending the colony to a fellow IBC_SMP member as I
      had too many fish and not enough good arms to take care of them. I
      think I had about 3 tanks of them by the end of it. All in all they
      were stunning fish, but the tank looked awful and I never did find a
      way to show them off.

      Charlotte
    • bettas
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2005