Intro and questions

  • kestrelfox
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2004
      Hi,
      I'm interested in keeping and raising wild mouthbrooding bettas. I
      haven't decided exactly which species. What would be a good species
      to begin with? I'm setting up a 55g tank and I was wondering if I
      could get any tips about it. I'm planning on sponge filters, and
      lots of low light plants and terra cotta pots for caves. How can I
      get the tank bottom dark and non reflective but still easy to clean?
      Can I keep guppies in with them? I will have a seperate tank for the
      betta males to release fry.

      Kes
    • CascadeBettas@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2004
        Hi Kes,
        The tank you have planned sounds great.  You can take flat black paint and paint the bottom and two or three sides or you can use dark or black sand as well.  As far as species go I am not sure for good beginning mouth brooder.  I keep all bubblenesters now. :)

        Andrew or Yohan might be able to point you in a good direction as far as species or even Victorea,  she has Betta falx and they seem easy to breed.

        Give it a few days for reply as this group is spread world wide.  :)  I hope this helps.

        Karen Burgett
        Cascade Bettas

        Specializing in show quality Betta splendens and various wild betta species.
        http://www.geocities.com/littlegoodsplendens/index.html

        "All creatures great and small, All things bright and beautiful,
         All things wise and wonderful, The Lord God made them all."
        James Herriot

        Pacific Northwest Betta Society
        http://www.geocities.com/pacificnorthwestbettas/index.html

        Wild Betta Species in MSN

        http://groups.msn.com/WildBettaSpecies

        IBC Species Maintenance Program
        http://www.ibc-smp.org/index.html

        International Betta Congress
        http://ibcbettas.org
      • CascadeBettas@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2004
          Oh ,important detail!!!  Paint the outside of the tank.  Not the inside.  I just read what I posted in the message the group sends and went YIKES!!  OUTSIDE of the tank.
          :) Karen
        • wildbetta@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2004
            Hi Kes,

            If you have a 55 gallon tank available then you could keep some of the larger mouthbrooding betta species such as any from the B. pugnax group or a species such as B. unimaculata.  However, in my opinion species such as B. picta, B. edithae and B. falx are great to start with as these species tend to be eager spawners.  I would not recommend keeping guppies with any of these Betta species.

            Your plans for aquascaping the tank seem ideal for mouthbrooders.  I would suggest adding some driftwood as well.  Sponge filters and undergravel filters tend to work best with mouthbrooding bettas as opposed to box filters and power filters as the latter tend to suck up any fry that may be released in the tank.

            Most importantly, invest in a tight fitting lid for the tank or you will find the fish on the floor.  These guys can jump.

            For more specific information on the mouthbrooding bettas do a search on the archived posts as these topics have been covered in the past.  Additionally, the following links are a great resource:  www.aagb.org and http://www.ibc-smp.org .

            Best wishes,

            Yohan

            In a message dated 2/6/2004 5:59:28 PM Central Standard Time, Kestrel42@... writes:

            Hi,
            I'm interested in keeping and raising wild mouthbrooding bettas. I
            haven't decided exactly which species. What would be a good species
            to begin with? I'm setting up a 55g tank and I was wondering if I
            could get any tips about it.  I'm planning on sponge filters, and
            lots of low light plants and terra cotta pots for caves.  How can I
            get the tank bottom dark and non reflective but still easy to clean?
            Can I keep guppies in with them? I will have a seperate tank for the
            betta males to release fry.

            Kes

          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
              Hi Kes

              Yes wise words from Yohan, not bad for a bass guitarist:-)))). If
              you go to the documents section of the group here you will see an
              article I did for Labyrinth (the bi monthly newsletter of the AAGB) a
              couple of years ago. Some of the names now might be a little dated
              but the info has basically not changed in that time.

              I always tend to recommend the smaller species like B. picta, B. falx
              and B. edithae. Normally I have struggled with B. simplex until some
              friends collected them from the wild and told me taht the area in
              which they were found was hard and alkaline whereas I had always used
              a pH of near neutral. Get a group of fish if you can, and enjoy
              watching them pair off and form a small community

              Cheers

              Andrew
            • victoreae
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
                --- In wildbettas@yahoogroups.com, "kestrelfox" <Kestrel42@a...>
                wrote:
                > Hi,
                > I'm interested in keeping and raising wild mouthbrooding bettas. I
                > haven't decided exactly which species. What would be a good species
                > to begin with? I'm setting up a 55g tank and I was wondering if I
                > could get any tips about it. I'm planning on sponge filters, and
                > lots of low light plants and terra cotta pots for caves. How can I
                > get the tank bottom dark and non reflective but still easy to
                clean?
                > Can I keep guppies in with them? I will have a seperate tank for
                the
                > betta males to release fry.
                >
                > Kes

                B. Falx wouldn't need that big of a tank, but if you would like a
                couple of pairs email me off list: victoreae at yahoo dot com.

                Tight fitting lid is essential, you would not believe the small
                spaces they can jump 6 inches to get through.

                Putting the tank in an area that gets little traffic is good, they do
                spook easily. Mine did not like being next to a tank of female
                splendens, either. Once they are comfortable they will come out and
                stare at you at feeding time.

                Victorea