Is it a disease?

  • cecilia_erikson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2003
      My adult Betta smaragdina´s (about 12 months old) have developed
      rust-coloured spots on their fins over the last months. Otherwise,
      the fins look normal and the fish does not show any signs of
      distress. I suspected it to be some kind of fungal infection and
      treated them with Sera Mycopur, but the spots did not disappear. Any
      ideas? /Cecilia
    • Wind
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2003
        I dont know of any disease that does what you are describing. Stress
        or environmental conditions could make fins look like that.

        --- In wildbettas@yahoogroups.com, "cecilia_erikson" <c.erikson@s...>
        wrote:
        > My adult Betta smaragdina´s (about 12 months old) have developed
        > rust-coloured spots on their fins over the last months. Otherwise,
        > the fins look normal and the fish does not show any signs of
        > distress. I suspected it to be some kind of fungal infection and
        > treated them with Sera Mycopur, but the spots did not disappear.
        Any
        > ideas? /Cecilia
      • Paul Thompson
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2003
          Sounds like Velvet to me (it's also called Oodinium piluraris). General cure are available at your local pet store, also salt baths dislodge the minute parasites but would not cure the free swimming lava. Type the technical name into Google to view a number of articles on this parasite.

          Paul

          wrote:
          > My adult Betta smaragdina�s (about 12 months old) have developed
          > rust-coloured spots on their fins over the last months. Otherwise,
          > the fins look normal and the fish does not show any signs of
          > distress. I suspected it to be some kind of fungal infection and
          > treated them with Sera Mycopur, but the spots did not disappear.
          Any
          > ideas? /Cecilia

          Who wants those fancy-schmancy splendens anyway? Get some Wilds today!

          Paul W. Thompson
          Address: 68 Selwyn Street, Liverpool L4 3TW
          Tel: (++44) (0)151 933 8420
          Mobile: (++44) 07985 056741

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • STAN LEE
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5, 2003
            This is velvet infection caused by oodinium. There are many remedies
            available including copper suphate.
            Rgds,
            stanlee

            >From: "cecilia_erikson" <c.erikson@...>
            >To: wildbettas@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [wildbettas] Is it a disease?
            >Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 09:07:00 -0000
            >
            >My adult Betta smaragdina�s (about 12 months old) have developed
            >rust-coloured spots on their fins over the last months. Otherwise,
            >the fins look normal and the fish does not show any signs of
            >distress. I suspected it to be some kind of fungal infection and
            >treated them with Sera Mycopur, but the spots did not disappear. Any
            >ideas? /Cecilia

            Send a fun phone greeting to your friend!
            http://www.msn.com.sg/mobile/fungreetings/
          • Cecilia Erikson
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 7, 2003
              Thank you all for answering. So oodinum doesn´t have to look like powder, then? /Cecilia

              Vad står det om dig på nätet?
              Kolla nu! - http://www.lycos.se/