Re: Mahachai question

  • thaikilli
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2003
      Hello,

      I think the Betta sp. Mahachai are as agreesive as other Betta sp. in
      Splndens complex.

      Btw, can any of you in the US post picture of your Mahachai? I would
      like to see how they look after a few generation in captivity.

      Thanks,
      Nonn Panitvong
      Bangkok, Thailand

      --- In wildbettas@yahoogroups.com, "Janice R." <ritter@s...> wrote:
      > For some reason, I had been under the impression that B. Mahachais
      were not
      > all that aggressive towards one another, certainly not like B.
      > splendens. And for around 7-8 months, that seemed to be true for
      my 2
      > pair, which were in a heavily planted 5 gallon tank. They got along
      > great... for awhile.
      >
      > Then one pair spawned and the other 2 non-spawning fish began to
      fight
      > visciously amongst themselves, and I had to jar the 2nd 2 fish (in big
      > jars). I then set up a nice 10 gallon tank, lots of plants, and put the
      2nd
      > pair (which turned out to be 2 males) in that tank. I thought they'd be
      > fine, but these 2 have gone nuts on one another, really ripping each
      other
      > up. I didn't realize how bad it was until I tore down their tank today.
      > (Usually they were partially hidden, so I didn't see the fin damage).
      >
      > In the meantime, the spawning pair were removed from the baby
      tank after a
      > week and placed in a 5 gallon planted tank w/a very old female
      splendens, a
      > guppy, and some cories. That seemed ok for about 6-8 weeks until
      somebody
      > punched a hole in the female, and she died last night/this a.m. :-(
      At
      > least I have 3-4 surviving babies from the spawn, but this is a bit
      depressing!

      > So, now I have 3 adult males that cannot get along, and I'm realizing
      that
      > I have limited tank space, if I have to allow just one in a tank! I could
      > jar 2 of them, but they really don't thrive in jars and I'd hate to do
      > that. So I'd like to trade at least one male for a female, or I'd like to
      > sell 2 males so I can purchase a female.
      >
      > Have other people seen this kind of B. splendens aggressive behavior
      > amongst populations of Mahachai? I was hoping they'd be more like
      > smaragdina in community behavior.
      >
      > -Janice R.
    • Sue Ruetch
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
        Hi, I haven't been around for awhile I may be of some help.
        I have a red female Mahachi that I would sell at a very reasonable
        price, is $15 too much?
        I'll try and get a good picture of her and send it in.
        I just noticed, you have smargadinni!! I have been looking for a
        female. maybe we could make a swap. hugs sue

      • thaikilli
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2003
          Excuse me, RED MAHACHAI? What are you talking about? Hybrid of
          some sort or.....? The real Mahachai don't have much red on them.

          Nonn