Funky larvae in my tank

  • wm_crash <wm_crash@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2003
      Howdy,

      I have had a number of bugs grow in my tanks lately, all good food as
      far as my fish are concerned. The last larvae I've seen are some
      nifty little MW sized ones, maybe slightly longer. The way these show
      up is that they have 'houses' that looks like a short thread of java
      moss, about 1 cm long. These short threads are stuck on the tank
      bottom/walls. At first I thought java moss was attaching to the walls
      of the tank, then I saw larvae coming out. They swim like the
      bloodworms, in an 8 pattern. They appear in mass when I have very
      very young fry, but disappear when fry are big enough to eat them
      (like 4 days old). Latest appearance is in a tank where I was
      hatching some killi eggs.

      The reason I asked here is that they really don't mind the very acid
      water, so they are good for the wilds. I was just curious if anyone
      else has/had these and know where they come from.

      the friendly hooligan
    • eclod2002
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2003
        Cosmin,

        Do they leave brownish tube-like cases?

        Ralph

        --- In wildbettas@yahoogroups.com, "wm_crash <wm_crash@h...>"
        <wm_crash@h...> wrote:
        > Howdy,
        >
        > I have had a number of bugs grow in my tanks lately, all good food
        as
        > far as my fish are concerned. The last larvae I've seen are some
        > nifty little MW sized ones, maybe slightly longer. The way these
        show
        > up is that they have 'houses' that looks like a short thread of
        java
        > moss, about 1 cm long. These short threads are stuck on the tank
        > bottom/walls. At first I thought java moss was attaching to the
        walls
        > of the tank, then I saw larvae coming out. They swim like the
        > bloodworms, in an 8 pattern. They appear in mass when I have very
        > very young fry, but disappear when fry are big enough to eat them
        > (like 4 days old). Latest appearance is in a tank where I was
        > hatching some killi eggs.
        >
        > The reason I asked here is that they really don't mind the very
        acid
        > water, so they are good for the wilds. I was just curious if
        anyone
        > else has/had these and know where they come from.
        >
        > the friendly hooligan
      • wm crash
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
          Howdy,

          I haven't seen any of those. Too much peat dust settling on bottom. But
          today I think I found the culprits. I found like 4 ltiny tiny drowned flies.
          They are light green and much much smaller than a mosquito.

          I look for cases though. I think I'll geta tank and grow in it whatever
          happens to grow in there :)

          take care,
          the friendly hooligan

          >Cosmin,
          >
          >Do they leave brownish tube-like cases?
          >
          >Ralph
          >
          >--- In wildbettas@yahoogroups.com, "wm_crash <wm_crash@h...>"
          ><wm_crash@h...> wrote:
          > > Howdy,
          > >
          > > I have had a number of bugs grow in my tanks lately, all good food
          >as
          > > far as my fish are concerned. The last larvae I've seen are some
          > > nifty little MW sized ones, maybe slightly longer. The way these
          >show
          > > up is that they have 'houses' that looks like a short thread of
          >java
          > > moss, about 1 cm long. These short threads are stuck on the tank
          > > bottom/walls. At first I thought java moss was attaching to the
          >walls
          > > of the tank, then I saw larvae coming out. They swim like the
          > > bloodworms, in an 8 pattern. They appear in mass when I have very
          > > very young fry, but disappear when fry are big enough to eat them
          > > (like 4 days old). Latest appearance is in a tank where I was
          > > hatching some killi eggs.
          > >
          > > The reason I asked here is that they really don't mind the very
          >acid
          > > water, so they are good for the wilds. I was just curious if
          >anyone
          > > else has/had these and know where they come from.
          > >
          > > the friendly hooligan

        • eclod2002
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
            Hi Cosmin,

            The reason I asked is because I'm not sure what you're describing,
            but I thought maybe it was what I seem to have. I have these
            strange brownish patterns on the bottom of my tank that seem like it
            would be created by some sort of worm perhaps, or that they were
            tubes for little worms to house themselves in.

            Anyone have any idea what that might be?

            Ralph

          • wm crash
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
              Howdy,

              They do leave patterns of tubes, but not piles of shells. They seems to be
              created by the larvae for housing. I have not seen anything that may look
              like a pupa. I have however noticed that the tiny flies that come out first
              float on their backs.

              the friendly hooligan

            • eCLod
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
                Message
                Hrm, maybe that is the same thing I have!  It started out in my Daphnia cultures and then spread to one of my grow-out tanks.  I've never seen what leaves the tube patterns though, just the tubes.  I wonder what it is?

                Ralph

                ||To speak your mind is to dig your own grave, and now i'm going to go back to digging||

                They do leave patterns of tubes, but not piles of shells. They seems to be
                created by the larvae for housing. I have not seen anything that may look
                like a pupa. I have however noticed that the tiny flies that come out first
                float on their backs.

                the friendly hooligan

                >From: "eclod2002" <eclod2002@...>
                >To: wildbettas@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [wildbettas] Re: Funky larvae in my tank
                >Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 13:05:53 -0000
                >
                >Hi Cosmin,
                >
                >The reason I asked is because I'm not sure what you're describing,
                >but I thought maybe it was what I seem to have.  I have these
                >strange brownish patterns on the bottom of my tank that seem like it
                >would be created by some sort of worm perhaps, or that they were
                >tubes for little worms to house themselves in.
                >
                >Anyone have any idea what that might be?
                >
                >Ralph
                >
                >--- In wildbettas@yahoogroups.com, "wm crash" <wm_crash@h...> wrote:
                > > Howdy,
                > >
                > > I haven't seen any of those. Too much peat dust settling on
                >bottom. But
                > > today I think I found the culprits. I found like 4 ltiny tiny
                >drowned flies.
                > > They are light green and much much smaller than a mosquito.
                > >
                > > I look for cases though. I think I'll geta tank and grow in it
                >whatever
                > > happens to grow in there :)
                > >
                > > take care,
                > > the friendly hooligan
                > >
                > > >Cosmin,
                > > >
                > > >Do they leave brownish tube-like cases?
                > > >
                > > >Ralph
                > > >
                > > >--- In wildbettas@yahoogroups.com, "wm_crash <wm_crash@h...>"

                >food
                > > >as
                >some
                >these
                > > >show
                > > >java
                >tank
                > > >walls
                >very
                >them

                > > >acid
                > > >anyone

                > > STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*

                Who wants those fancy-schmancy splendens anyway? Get some Wilds today!

              • Gerald Griffin
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003

                  If you can send me some tubes or pics of them I can identify them for you.

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • Gerald Griffin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003

                    Send me pics, or actual specimens.  I have done some aquatic entymology.

                  • Sherri Kish
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
                      I would say that they are the same thing I've had in
                      my tanks. They are the larvae of a teenie tiny green
                      fly, as someone else mentioned. The flies lay their
                      eggs in the tanks, and those larvae are their product.
                      The larvae are around 10X's the size of the fly, at
                      least.

                      They build the casings as protection from fish. They
                      will build these housings all over the bottom and
                      sides of tanks. If they find algae to build with, the
                      casing will be green, if they can only find dirt the
                      casing will be brown.

                      The larvae are oppotunist feeders, and it caused me
                      problems with disappearing spawns within the first
                      week after hatching.

                      Now, I can't say positively they were snatching my
                      fry. They could have also just caused a massive
                      bio-overload in my tank causing the fry to die that
                      way. Either way, I lost quite a few spawns to those
                      darned larvae.

                      Do you have any microworm cultures? I always had those
                      tiny flies flying around my cultures, summer and
                      winter. Even keeping plastic over my fry tanks didn't
                      help. They would find a way in.

                      It seemed they preferred the fry tanks, but I think
                      the fish older than 2 weeks old were eating the
                      larvae, so the only tanks I saw it in was the fry
                      tanks. Unfortunately, any fry tank with the larvae in
                      there ended with only 10 fry at the most surviving.

                      I had been poking holes in my microworm cultures and
                      had to resort to slits, because they were getting in
                      through the holes and laying eggs in the microworm
                      cultures also, causing them to go bad prematurely.

                      Sherri
                      http://www.bettadreams.com

                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                    • Gerald Griffin

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
                          Howdy,

                          I have taken a few water samples and set them aside. I hope the larvae will
                          grow back in full force.

                          I tried to take pics of the patterns that the larvae leave, but didn't work
                          out too well (brown water and very dim lights). I will try my luck at taking
                          a picture of a specimen. About the wings, they are only slightly longer than
                          the body, and they are the long and thin shape, pretty much mosquito style.
                          The wings are transparent and extremely thin/fragile. They also have
                          antennae, extemely thin and longer than the legs.

                          take care,
                          the friendly hooligan

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 7, 2003
                            I don't recall the shape of the wings, only that the
                            wings seemed to be bigger than the fly itself. I had
                            found info on them online, but can no longer find the
                            page I found when I was plagued with them. I believe
                            they were supposed to be another color, rather than
                            the green they were...but I believe their main food
                            source in my house was algae, thus they were green.

                            Sherri
                            http://www.bettadreams.com