A "Blogging" extension

  • Michael Allison
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
      Hello Wikipad-ers,

      I've been using this great tool for a couple of years now, but was
      finding a lack of a simple capability. I used to use a tool called
      "SnipSnap" for maintaining a personal daily blog. I gave up the use of
      a paper log book for work (many years ago) and wanted to find
      something to replace my old software.

      The tool needed to be OSS, store files in plain text, and be able to
      create a new daily entry easily. After much searching, I chose
      Wikidpad and it was almost there. To get it to the last set of
      features, I wrote an extension to provide me the functionality I was
      looking for.

      I wrote the "Blog.py" extension and have been using it fairly
      successfully for the last year. This extension adds two menu items to
      the extension menu, and with a single menu pick will create a new
      daily page (like a diary) where I can write whatever I need. It also
      links the new page to a master page called "LogBook", and provides a
      view of the page in the tree (under "blog").

      I'm making the extension available for people to play with and offer
      suggestions. The extension needs almost zero computer skills, and no
      programming required. If you want to customize it, you should be able
      to modify a Wikidpage page (for the daily template).

      You can download the extension from here:
      http://www.geocities.com/mjallison42/Blog.html

      Installing the extension in the "extensions" directory and restarting
      Wikidpad is all it takes. The web page (above) is a copy of the
      installed help file when using the extension.

      Please download, use it, and send me your great ideas.

      Thanks,
      Mike Allison
    • adekoninck
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
        Hi,
        Running the latest source version of wikidPad under Linux, wth blog.py
        installede, I have the following bug report:
        Filling in blog entry 2008-11-01
        Creating Blog entry template
        Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "lib/pwiki/PersonalWikiFrame.py", line 859, in <lambda>
        lambda evt: function(self, evt), icondesc, menuID,
        File "/media/disk/Programs/wikidPad/user_extensions/Blog.py", line
        216, in currentBlog
        editBlogEntry( wiki, wx.DateTime.UNow() )
        File "/media/disk/Programs/wikidPad/user_extensions/Blog.py", line
        265, in editBlogEntry
        createTemplate( wiki )
        File "/media/disk/Programs/wikidPad/user_extensions/Blog.py", line
        326, in createTemplate
        wiki.getWikiData().setContent( BLOG_TEMPLATE, content )
        File "lib/pwiki/wikidata/WikiDataManager.py", line 181, in __call__
        return self.callFunction(*args, **kwargs)
        File "lib/pwiki/wikidata/compact_sqlite/WikiData.py", line 218, in
        setContent
        assert type(content) is unicode
        AssertionError

        Hope this helps,
        Albert
        --- In wikidPad@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Allison" <allison.m@...> wrote:

        > Hello Wikipad-ers,
        >
        > I've been using this great tool for a couple of years now, but was
        > finding a lack of a simple capability. I used to use a tool called
        > "SnipSnap" for maintaining a personal daily blog. I gave up the use of
        > a paper log book for work (many years ago) and wanted to find
        > something to replace my old software.
        >
        > The tool needed to be OSS, store files in plain text, and be able to
        > create a new daily entry easily. After much searching, I chose
        > Wikidpad and it was almost there. To get it to the last set of
        > features, I wrote an extension to provide me the functionality I was
        > looking for.
        >
        > I wrote the "Blog.py" extension and have been using it fairly
        > successfully for the last year. This extension adds two menu items to
        > the extension menu, and with a single menu pick will create a new
        > daily page (like a diary) where I can write whatever I need. It also
        > links the new page to a master page called "LogBook", and provides a
        > view of the page in the tree (under "blog").
        >
        > I'm making the extension available for people to play with and offer
        > suggestions. The extension needs almost zero computer skills, and no
        > programming required. If you want to customize it, you should be able
        > to modify a Wikidpage page (for the daily template).
        >
        > You can download the extension from here:
        > http://www.geocities.com/mjallison42/Blog.html
        >
        > Installing the extension in the "extensions" directory and restarting
        > Wikidpad is all it takes. The web page (above) is a copy of the
        > installed help file when using the extension.
        >
        > Please download, use it, and send me your great ideas.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mike Allison

      • Michael Allison
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
          Wouldn't you know it... my testing includes windows (1.8) and Mac
          (1.9) but I didn't include Linux. I'll get that up on the rack and
          check it out.

          What version Linux are you running?

          If I have more detailed questions, I'll contact you directly off list
          so I don't clog everyone's mailboxes with too much detailed debugging.

          Mike A

          --- In wikidPad@yahoogroups.com, "adekoninck" <albertde@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > Running the latest source version of wikidPad under Linux, wth blog.py
          > installede, I have the following bug report:
          > Filling in blog entry 2008-11-01
          > Creating Blog entry template
          > Traceback (most recent call last):
          > File "lib/pwiki/PersonalWikiFrame.py", line 859, in <lambda>
        • Christian Ziemski
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
            On 01.11.2008 18:12 Michael Allison wrote:

            > Wouldn't you know it... my testing includes windows (1.8) and Mac
            > (1.9) but I didn't include Linux.

            I tested your extension too. With WikidPad 1.9beta18 under Linux (Fedora 7).
            And I get the same error message as reported by adekoninck.

            Christian
          • adekoninck
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
              I am running an Aspire One under Linpus Lite (based on Fedora 8) so it
              may be a Fedora problem.

              I am inclined OTH to think it is related to the use of UTF-8 as the
              coding scheme. Mac uses MacRoman and Windows, Windows 1252 for Western
              Europe. If that is the case, then Russian, Chinese and Japanese users
              of all three operating systems may report problems.

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
                  I just reproduced this on Ubuntu 8.10, I'm looking into a fix.

                  Thanks for the hint on the char set (my bane!)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                    On 02.11.2008 03:50 Michael Allison wrote:

                    > I fixed the blogger extension.

                    Michael:

                    Now it's working under Fedora Linux too!
                    Thank you for that great extension!

                    One remark:
                    The labels of the OK and CANCEL buttons seem to be automatically
                    localized. So they are named "OK" and "Abbrechen" in German.
                    That is wider than your defined but_size, the labels are overlapping.

                    I tried to remove that parameter in the hope that the size is
                    calculated
                    automatically:
                    btn = wx.Button(self, wx.ID_OK, 'Ok', (0, 0))

                    But now it's a standard size button.
                    Inserting a "style=wxBU_EXACTFIT" didn't work at all.
                    (I'm really a beginner with wx, you see...)

                    I'm sure there is a possibility to make it flexible.

                    Christian
                  • adekoninck
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                      Hi,
                      I want to report as well that the "Blogging" extension works. Thank
                      you very much.

                      Albert