WikidPad dynamic search results extension

  • f.savard
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 14, 2008
      Hi!

      I've just programmed a small WikidPad extension that displays search
      results in a dynamic section of a page. It's an extension on the "Copy
      search results to clipboard" concept.

      What it does:

      * It does a wiki wide search for a given keyword.
      * It then it grabs what I call "sections". This can simply be the line
      where the keyword occurs, or it can be the lines from there until a
      blank line is met, or all the child bullet points in a list (currently
      only the last two are implemented).
      * It outputs the resulting section list in an updateable area of the
      current page.

      Code/more info here:
      http://www.fsavard.com/flow/wikidpad-dynamic-search-results/

      I've been meaning to write this extension for some time (I have a ~450
      pages/2MB personal wiki... info architecture becomes an issue :-) ).
      It'd be great if it turns out to be useful for others. I'll add it on
      the ListOfUserScripts page when it's a bit more tested (I'm on Linux,
      using WP 1.9beta17, btw).

      Please send comments, questions, bugs, etc. This is my first
      extension, so there's certainly room for improvement.

      Thanks!
      François Savard
      http://www.fsavard.com/flow
    • josip_ine
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 15, 2008
        > Hi!
        >
        > I've just programmed a small WikidPad extension that displays search
        > results in a dynamic section of a page. It's an extension on the
        "Copy
        > search results to clipboard" concept.
        >
        > What it does:
        >
        > * It does a wiki wide search for a given keyword.
        > * It then it grabs what I call "sections". This can simply be the
        line
        > where the keyword occurs, or it can be the lines from there until a
        > blank line is met, or all the child bullet points in a list
        (currently
        > only the last two are implemented).
        > * It outputs the resulting section list in an updateable area of the
        > current page.
        >
        > Code/more info here:
        > http://www.fsavard.com/flow/wikidpad-dynamic-search-results/
        >
        > I've been meaning to write this extension for some time (I have a
        ~450
        > pages/2MB personal wiki... info architecture becomes an issue :-) ).
        > It'd be great if it turns out to be useful for others. I'll add it
        on
        > the ListOfUserScripts page when it's a bit more tested (I'm on
        Linux,
        > using WP 1.9beta17, btw).
        >
        > Please send comments, questions, bugs, etc. This is my first
        > extension, so there's certainly room for improvement.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > François Savard
        > http://www.fsavard.com/flow

        You are definitely on to something. There are few things wrong with
        your approach:
        1. You make duplicates of section. They need manual updating, and if
        you use DynamicSearch on two wiki pages, the results of one search
        can be included in other search.
        2. You use heading "+++ End DynSearchResults"
        3. You don't link to original sections

        IMHO it could be improved by using insertation, for example:
        [:dynsearch: deadline]
        There would be no duplicates in wiki database (search results would
        be generated with preview), you wouldn't need a marker for end of
        results, and they would always be in sync.

        BTW extension is working as intended on Wikipad 1.9beta18_4 on
        Windows XP

        Thanks for sharing
        Josip
      • f.savard
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 15, 2008
          --- In wikidPad@yahoogroups.com, "josip_ine" <josipmiskovic@...> wrote:

          > > Hi!
          > >
          > > I've just programmed a small WikidPad extension that displays search
          > > results in a dynamic section of a page. It's an extension on the
          > "Copy
          > > search results to clipboard" concept.
          > >
          > > What it does:
          > >
          > > * It does a wiki wide search for a given keyword.
          > > * It then it grabs what I call "sections". This can simply be the
          > line
          > > where the keyword occurs, or it can be the lines from there until a
          > > blank line is met, or all the child bullet points in a list
          > (currently
          > > only the last two are implemented).
          > > * It outputs the resulting section list in an updateable area of the
          > > current page.
          > >
          > > Code/more info here:
          > > http://www.fsavard.com/flow/wikidpad-dynamic-search-results/
          > >
          > > I've been meaning to write this extension for some time (I have a
          > ~450
          > > pages/2MB personal wiki... info architecture becomes an issue :-) ).
          > > It'd be great if it turns out to be useful for others. I'll add it
          > on
          > > the ListOfUserScripts page when it's a bit more tested (I'm on
          > Linux,
          > > using WP 1.9beta17, btw).
          > >
          > > Please send comments, questions, bugs, etc. This is my first
          > > extension, so there's certainly room for improvement.
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > François Savard
          > > http://www.fsavard.com/flow
          >

          > You are definitely on to something. There are few things wrong with
          > your approach:
          > 1. You make duplicates of section. They need manual updating, and if
          > you use DynamicSearch on two wiki pages, the results of one search
          > can be included in other search.
          > 2. You use heading "+++ End DynSearchResults"
          > 3. You don't link to original sections
          >
          > IMHO it could be improved by using insertation, for example:
          > [:dynsearch: deadline]
          > There would be no duplicates in wiki database (search results would
          > be generated with preview), you wouldn't need a marker for end of
          > results, and they would always be in sync.
          >
          > BTW extension is working as intended on Wikipad 1.9beta18_4 on
          > Windows XP
          >
          > Thanks for sharing
          > Josip

          I've taken a look at how other insertion plugins work. It does
          definitely make sense to do it that way. I tend to stay in edit mode,
          though, which is why I liked the first option.

          Another way I could have solved that problem is by simply not
          considering the lines which are part of search results, which is
          possible due to the way I process pages found by the wiki wide search,
          ie. line by line.

          (By the way I was inspired in using "+++ End DynSearchResults" by the
          setArea code found in the TagView extension)

          I'll try to code something in the next few days.

          Thanks for your feedback Josip.

          - François
        • f.savard
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 18, 2008
            OK I've changed the behavior to use a [:dynsearch: keywords...]
            syntax, by using the insertion plugin mechanism, as suggested by
            Josip. Basic manual testing shows it works for me in both WP 1.9beta17
            and 1.8rc9.

            Results are now presented in a cleaner way, I think, and page titles
            are now links.

            If a few of you want to try it out in other settings, I'd appreciate
            it. (I've written a few unit tests, but they're pretty limited).

            Btw thanks to those (2) who sent me reports and suggestions by email.

            Link again:
            http://www.fsavard.com/flow/wikidpad-dynamic-search-results/

            François

          • josip_ine
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 21, 2008
              > OK I've changed the behavior to use a [:dynsearch: keywords...]
              > syntax, by using the insertion plugin mechanism, as suggested by
              > Josip. Basic manual testing shows it works for me in both WP
              1.9beta17
              > and 1.8rc9.
              >
              > Results are now presented in a cleaner way, I think, and page titles
              > are now links.
              >
              > If a few of you want to try it out in other settings, I'd appreciate
              > it. (I've written a few unit tests, but they're pretty limited).
              >
              > Btw thanks to those (2) who sent me reports and suggestions by
              email.

              > Link again:
              > http://www.fsavard.com/flow/wikidpad-dynamic-search-results/
              >
              > François

              Works great now. I'm going to use this for a while to see if further
              modifications are needed, and if I make any changes, I'll let you
              know.

              Thanks
              Josip
            • melchior prisi
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 21, 2008
                Hi François

                ----- on 18.10.2008 22:55 f.savard wrote:
                > Link again:
                > http://www.fsavard.com/flow/wikidpad-dynamic-search-results/

                I installed your extension and I like it!

                Two wishes:

                1)
                [:dynsearch:word] finds occurences of "word", "xyword", "wordxy" and
                "xywordxy" - this is sometimes useful, sometimes not. It would be nice
                to have a way to find just "word" (and maybe even to disttinguish
                between "word" and "Word"...).

                2)
                There seems to be no way to find "[word" or "wo:rd".
                Something like [:dynsearch:\[wo\:rd] would be useful -
                e.g. to have a page which lists all pages with an attribute [word:true]

                Thanks
                Melchior
                --
              • f.savard
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 22, 2008
                  Hi Melchior.

                  Both of your wishes end up being satisfied, I think, by allowing for
                  regular expressions, so I modified the extension so you can use those
                  if needed. You can use this new syntax:

                  [:dynsearch_re: "your_expression_here"]

                  For example, to search for [word: true] pages (your 2nd point), you
                  can do:

                  [:dynsearch_re: "\[word:\s?true\]"]

                  and to search for complete words and not partial ones (your 1st point):

                  [:dynsearch_re: "\byourword\b"]

                  (\b indicates word boundaries).

                  I haven't changed the case behavior ("Word" vs "word"), but if you
                  really want it to be case sensitive, remove ", re.I" (search for it in
                  the code) and it should do the trick.

                  ---

                  Be very careful with regular expressions, though, as it's easy to
                  create an expression that's very general accidentally. For example, I
                  tried:

                  [:dynsearch_re: "[t: test]"]
                  (--DON'T DO THAT--)

                  and, as it should, it searched for every occurrence of t, e, s, :, t
                  or space in the whole wiki (makes for a lot of results :P ).

                  ---

                  Thanks for your suggestions. I hope the changes work for you.
                  François

                  --- In wikidPad@yahoogroups.com, melchior prisi <mprisi@...> wrote:

                  > Hi François
                  >
                  > ----- on 18.10.2008 22:55 f.savard wrote:
                  > > Link again:
                  > > http://www.fsavard.com/flow/wikidpad-dynamic-search-results/
                  >
                  > I installed your extension and I like it!
                  >
                  > Two wishes:
                  >
                  > 1)
                  > [:dynsearch:word] finds occurences of "word", "xyword", "wordxy" and
                  > "xywordxy" - this is sometimes useful, sometimes not. It would be nice
                  > to have a way to find just "word" (and maybe even to disttinguish
                  > between "word" and "Word"...).
                  >
                  > 2)
                  > There seems to be no way to find "[word" or "wo:rd".
                  > Something like [:dynsearch:\[wo\:rd] would be useful -
                  > e.g. to have a page which lists all pages with an attribute [word:true]
                  >

                  > Thanks
                  > Melchior
                  > --

                • melchior prisi
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 22, 2008
                    Hi François

                    ----- on 22.10.2008 19:42 f.savard wrote:
                    > [:dynsearch_re: "your_expression_here"]

                    Thanks a lot for this - and for the examples!
                    It works fine.

                    > [:dynsearch_re: "[t: test]"]
                    > (--DON'T DO THAT--)

                    Promised. I won't blame you (or Michael) when I mess with regexp ;-)

                    Melchior

                    --
                  • janstegehuis
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 29, 2008
                      Francois,

                      Can you tell me how this is different from the "saved search"
                      insertion. Thát also does a dynamic search and inserts it's results as
                      a list of page links.

                      Jan Stegehuis

                      --- In wikidPad@yahoogroups.com, "f.savard" <francois.savard@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Melchior.
                      >
                      > Both of your wishes end up being satisfied, I think, by allowing for
                      > regular expressions, so I modified the extension so you can use those
                      > if needed. You can use this new syntax:
                      >
                      > [:dynsearch_re: "your_expression_here"]
                      >
                      > For example, to search for [word: true] pages (your 2nd point), you
                      > can do:
                      >
                      > [:dynsearch_re: "\[word:\s?true\]"]
                      >
                      > and to search for complete words and not partial ones (your 1st point):
                      >
                      > [:dynsearch_re: "\byourword\b"]
                      >
                      > (\b indicates word boundaries).
                      >
                      > I haven't changed the case behavior ("Word" vs "word"), but if you
                      > really want it to be case sensitive, remove ", re.I" (search for it in
                      > the code) and it should do the trick.
                      >
                      > ---
                      >
                      > Be very careful with regular expressions, though, as it's easy to
                      > create an expression that's very general accidentally. For example, I
                      > tried:
                      >
                      > [:dynsearch_re: "[t: test]"]
                      > (--DON'T DO THAT--)
                      >
                      > and, as it should, it searched for every occurrence of t, e, s, :, t
                      > or space in the whole wiki (makes for a lot of results :P ).
                      >
                      > ---
                      >
                      > Thanks for your suggestions. I hope the changes work for you.
                      > François
                      >
                      > --- In wikidPad@yahoogroups.com, melchior prisi <mprisi@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi François
                      > >
                      > > ----- on 18.10.2008 22:55 f.savard wrote:
                      > > > Link again:
                      > > > http://www.fsavard.com/flow/wikidpad-dynamic-search-results/
                      > >
                      > > I installed your extension and I like it!
                      > >
                      > > Two wishes:
                      > >
                      > > 1)
                      > > [:dynsearch:word] finds occurences of "word", "xyword", "wordxy" and
                      > > "xywordxy" - this is sometimes useful, sometimes not. It would be nice
                      > > to have a way to find just "word" (and maybe even to disttinguish
                      > > between "word" and "Word"...).
                      > >
                      > > 2)
                      > > There seems to be no way to find "[word" or "wo:rd".
                      > > Something like [:dynsearch:\[wo\:rd] would be useful -
                      > > e.g. to have a page which lists all pages with an attribute
                      [word:true]

                      > > Thanks
                      > > Melchior
                      > > --

                    • f.savard
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 29, 2008
                        Err, you had me scared for a few seconds! :P Curiously I searched
                        quite a bit for this feature yet the only thing I found in WikidPad
                        was the "Copy results to clipboard" in the Search wiki dialog.

                        Yet, now that I've looked at the doc, there are clear differences:

                        1. My dynsearch extension searches for occurrences of the term IN the
                        page, not just whole pages that contain the term.

                        2. It returns the text surrounding every occurrence (what I call
                        "sections") of it in the page and prints it with the results (vs just
                        the page title).

                        (3. It now allows for regexps)

                        The goal of the first 2 features is two decrease information
                        repetition, ie. you can put info on SomeSubject anywhere in the wiki,
                        as long as you put the right keywords in the context, it'll grab all
                        those mentions and bring all the text in one place.

                        Compare that to having to repeat information in many places when it
                        concerns many entries. (You can find a clearer explanation of this on
                        my site, as linked in the original posts).

                        Thanks for the interest,
                        François

                        --- In wikidPad@yahoogroups.com, "janstegehuis" <janstegehuis@...> wrote:

                        > Francois,
                        >
                        > Can you tell me how this is different from the "saved search"
                        > insertion. Thát also does a dynamic search and inserts it's results as
                        > a list of page links.
                        >
                        > Jan Stegehuis
                        >
                        > --- In wikidPad@yahoogroups.com, "f.savard" <francois.savard@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Melchior.
                        > >
                        > > Both of your wishes end up being satisfied, I think, by allowing for
                        > > regular expressions, so I modified the extension so you can use those
                        > > if needed. You can use this new syntax:
                        > >
                        > > [:dynsearch_re: "your_expression_here"]
                        > >
                        > > For example, to search for [word: true] pages (your 2nd point), you
                        > > can do:
                        > >
                        > > [:dynsearch_re: "\[word:\s?true\]"]
                        > >
                        > > and to search for complete words and not partial ones (your 1st
                        point):

                        > > [:dynsearch_re: "\byourword\b"]
                        > >
                        > > (\b indicates word boundaries).
                        > >
                        > > I haven't changed the case behavior ("Word" vs "word"), but if you
                        > > really want it to be case sensitive, remove ", re.I" (search for it in
                        > > the code) and it should do the trick.
                        > >
                        > > ---
                        > >
                        > > Be very careful with regular expressions, though, as it's easy to
                        > > create an expression that's very general accidentally. For example, I
                        > > tried:
                        > >
                        > > [:dynsearch_re: "[t: test]"]
                        > > (--DON'T DO THAT--)
                        > >
                        > > and, as it should, it searched for every occurrence of t, e, s, :, t
                        > > or space in the whole wiki (makes for a lot of results :P ).
                        > >
                        > > ---
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for your suggestions. I hope the changes work for you.
                        > > François
                        > >
                        > > --- In wikidPad@yahoogroups.com, melchior prisi <mprisi@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi François

                        > > > I installed your extension and I like it!
                        > > >
                        > > > Two wishes:
                        > > >
                        > > > 1)
                        > > > [:dynsearch:word] finds occurences of "word", "xyword", "wordxy" and
                        > > > "xywordxy" - this is sometimes useful, sometimes not. It would
                        be nice
                        > > > to have a way to find just "word" (and maybe even to disttinguish
                        > > > between "word" and "Word"...).
                        > > >
                        > > > 2)
                        > > > There seems to be no way to find "[word" or "wo:rd".
                        > > > Something like [:dynsearch:\[wo\:rd] would be useful -
                        > > > e.g. to have a page which lists all pages with an attribute
                        > [word:true]
                        > > >

                        > > > Thanks
                        > > > Melchior
                        > > > --

                      • janstegehuis
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 30, 2008
                          OK I get you,

                          This is in fact a combination of a [:savedsearch: <searchname>] and a
                          [:page: <page name>] insertion but based on page sections instead of
                          whole pages. Looks like a good thing to have.

                          Jan

                        • Graham
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 19, 2008
                            > * It outputs the resulting section list in an updateable area of the
                            > current page.
                            This is very good - and as I've already indicated I use it all the
                            time as an alternative to the inbuilt SEARCH function.

                            I have 1 request...

                            Can it be extended to SORT the found pages before printing them, ie if
                            matches were found on pages A, B and C, could it sort the order of
                            the "finds" (I don't mind ascending or decending) so that they appear
                            in order please. Its probably a small change - but I don't understand
                            where it would go.
                            Thanks
                            G.