PatiF Questions

  • Dave LeLacheur
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hi,

      A few questions for anyone who has actually played the 1948 PatiF
      scenario, which our group is considering playing:

      1) How well does it work with 4 players? How do the major powers get
      distributed (I'm not asking for the rule, I'm wondering how it really
      worked out for your group, if it was 4 player)?

      2) How long did the campaign take compared to a 1939 campaign?
      Assume you are using only units in the PatiF box (and for comparison,
      let me know your assumptions about units you usually use in a 1939
      game).

      3) Nukes: use 'em or not? Did you (a) use them in full per RAW, (b)
      use them but only for strategic bombing, or (c) not use them at all?
      (I've played AiF with full nukes, including carpet bombing, and I
      have to say, it really, really changes the game.)

      Thanks in advance!
      --

      Cheers,

      Dave LeLacheur
      lelacheur@...
      Director of Operations and Customer Service, CareerLeader

      Visit http://www.careerleader.com to preview the best
      online business career self-assessment program on the
      internet: CareerLeader.
    • popo1@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
        It's been a long time and we only played once.

        Four player? Russia, US, rest of allies, and who? China? Probably not much for them to do...less than Italy in a normal WIF game.

        Your combination of rules would probably be different from ours - our force pools were all regular WIF units from earlier kits as well, and used SIF and PIF. So, many more ships than the "basic" PATIF.

        How does one play a post -WWII game without nukes? That being said, we played the "old" rules where they were strat bombers and had the political effects of dropping them in someone's country.

        Game was OK, not very exciting after the first couple of turns. No AIF, if you get my meaning..

        Bill P

        > A few questions for anyone who has actually played the 1948
        > PatiF
        > scenario, which our group is considering playing:
        >
        > 1) How well does it work with 4 players? How do the major
        > powers get
        > distributed (I'm not asking for the rule, I'm wondering how it
        > really
        > worked out for your group, if it was 4 player)?
        >
        > 2) How long did the campaign take compared to a 1939 campaign?
        > Assume you are using only units in the PatiF box (and for
        > comparison,
        > let me know your assumptions about units you usually use in a
        > 1939
        > game).
        >
        > 3) Nukes: use 'em or not? Did you (a) use them in full per RAW,
        > (b)
        > use them but only for strategic bombing, or (c) not use them at
        > all?
        > (I've played AiF with full nukes, including carpet bombing, and
        > have to say, it really, really changes the game.)
        >
        > Thanks in advance!
        > --
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Dave LeLacheur
        > lelacheur@...
        > Director of Operations and Customer Service, CareerLeader

      • tom bell
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
          I concur with Bill. We played it two years ago when we had finished WiF
          early at the Con. I played the bad guys on the Asian/Mid East map and found
          the options limited. The guys fighting in Europe seemed to have a lot more
          fun since the CommiePinkos had fun overrunning W.Germany and ½ of France
          before the US & Co came back and pushed them back towards the Elbe. They
          were rolling dice dropping A-bombs and howling all that time.
          Unfortunately, we in the east didn’t have the toys, options or nearly the
          fun. :-( Probably better as a Fascist Tide type scenario with on the
          European map.

        • jerome_trift
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
            Hi Dave,

            I've played twice this game.

            One 1948 till 51
            The other till end of 52, early 53.

            > 1) How well does it work with 4 players? How do the major powers
            get
            > distributed (I'm not asking for the rule, I'm wondering how it
            really
            > worked out for your group, if it was 4 player)?

            We've played a 3 players game and 2 players.
            So no experience at 4, although I don't think it will work well due
            to the low intensity for the commies on the Pacific Map.

            > 2) How long did the campaign take compared to a 1939 campaign?
            > Assume you are using only units in the PatiF box (and for
            comparison,
            > let me know your assumptions about units you usually use in a 1939
            > game).

            We used the PATIF land units + divs/ART/TERR/ENG/FORT, SiF ships and
            PiF air units.
            My impression is that it takes 2/3 of the real thing (39-45 ...
            having been twice to JA 1945 ...).
            Europe has a much intensity as WWII, especially if the USSR
            liberates Germany.

            Our first game saw the Wallies expulsed from Europe (except Britain)
            with France and Italy completly conquered (early alignment of Spain
            by the USSR).

            The second game saw the Wallies aligning Spain and never ejected
            from Europe. Germany got liberated with the Wallies in the Pyreneans
            and Italy.

            The Pacific sees less action.
            The Western Allies has a lot of logistics to do, moving ships across
            the maps.

            > 3) Nukes: use 'em or not? Did you (a) use them in full per RAW,
            (b)
            > use them but only for strategic bombing, or (c) not use them at
            all?

            We used them in full mode in both games.

            The overall impression is that it "seems" to be very hard for the
            Wallies to make progress without them.

            The combination of Russian and German units entrenched in Germany is
            a very tough nut to crack ... even for the strong wallies units with
            air supremacy.

            However, on the opposite, it just seems too easy to drop an H bomb
            on a triple stacked Dusseldorff ... with the whole stack
            disappearing.

            Furthermore, once you are in the late war phase (re-conquering
            Europe), you really don't care about giving politcal points to
            russia for bomb dropping ... there's no more minors to grab.

            So, it's a mixed feeling.
            A and H bomb is a pain in the neck for any russian player. No tactic
            nor strategy can compensate for the loss of your HQs, being the
            favorite targets of the US Strat bomber in the early stage.
            It also seems you're in a WWI trench warfare if you don't have it in
            the late war.

            We should maybe do not play regular gearing limits for the Bomb and
            allocate only one per turn ... or use the bomb to shatter units
            automatically and not destroy them.

            Jerome