Building WiF + DoD Player Contact List

  • Marcus Leja
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hello everyone,

      I'm going to be very interested in participating within a multi-player online WiF + Days of Decision III campaign game using VASSAL, once Ken Griffiths releases the module version that includes DoD III.

      I'd like to gather contact info for other players who would also like to play in such a combined diplomacy / military game. Ideally, we will have 4 or more participating players.

      If you're interested, please e-mail me your online contact details at vjportal@.... I will share the list with everyone who is interested once it grows to a reasonable size.

      BTW - Cheers to Ken for all the work he does with the WiF VASSAL mods.

      All best,
      Marcus

    • Dupond Thomas
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
        Hi,

        Just for info...I'd personnally love a game of WiF with 4 players, assuming we can get a voice server....I am not so hot about DOD

        Good luck finding players, if you stick to WiF, keep me in mind

        Cheers

        Marcus Leja <vjportal@...> a écrit :
        Hello everyone,

        I'm going to be very interested in participating within a multi-player online WiF + Days of Decision III campaign game using VASSAL, once Ken Griffiths releases the module version that includes DoD III.

        I'd like to gather contact info for other players who would also like to play in such a combined diplomacy / military game. Ideally, we will have 4 or more participating players.

        If you're interested, please e-mail me your online contact details at vjportal@.... I will share the list with everyone who is interested once it grows to a reasonable size.

        BTW - Cheers to Ken for all the work he does with the WiF VASSAL mods.

        All best,
        Marcus

      • vjportal
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007
          Hi Dupond,

          DoD III is a key part of the type of WiF game I'm looking for, but I
          will include your name on a secondary list nonetheless.

          Cheers!

          --- In wifdiscussion@yahoogroups.com, Dupond Thomas <tmoj2000@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Just for info...I'd personnally love a game of WiF with 4 players,
          assuming we can get a voice server....I am not so hot about DOD

          > Good luck finding players, if you stick to WiF, keep me in mind
          >
          > Cheers
        • Dupond Thomas
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
            The US entry system is somewhat tricky and unpredictable.... I would appreciate feedback on when the US geared up and entered the war in your game(s) with a brief description of key events. As an example I provide such a short description of my latest game

            US entered the war in Sept/Oct 1942 after the japanese dowed them
            US first gear up in mar/apr 42, second in jul/aug 42

            Key events: japan dowed Russia sept 39 and a peace settlement was reached mid 40, France fell late 40 (conquered), Italy dowed France, UK dowed Italy, Germany (after Belgium, Denmark and Yugo) conquered Spain mid 41... Soviet dowed Germany in July 41 (-4 chits for the US!!!!)...Japan took only 2 cities in China... Germany activated all its balkan allies, Japan activated Siam

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
              Our game:
              LOC vichy

              US geared up for the first time in J/A 41, second time in S/O 41, and was fully in war N/D 41.

              Very active Axis.
              Keynotes:
              China completely conquered (by surrender) before first gearup, giving last chit necessary to do so.
              France fell with Germany in only 4 hexes of France, Italy in a further 6, in M/J 40. LOC Vichy.
              Vichy loyalty number at about 11 as Axis demand and sink or capture every remaining Vichy ship with a level 4 Vichy and the rump. Vichy has zero production.
              Many, many zero and 1 chits on the Japanese side.
              Japan DOW's Portugal in M/J 41 to take E. Timor. Germany and Japan DOW Netherlands in J/A 41 to take NEI and Netherlands. Japan DOWs CW in S/O 41. Japan conquers New Zealand.
              Major combats: First attack on Gib, Axis roll a 2 and lose Italian PARA. (Needed a 5). First attack on Canberra roll a 3, needed a 4, lose 3 unit invasion force on an O-chit. (2d10 table). Gib fell next attack, Australia still holds.

              Alignments: Finland, Rumania, Yugoslavia(Italy), Siam(Japan)
              DOWs: Poland, Belgium, Netherlands (GE and Japan), Greece, Hungary, Bulgaria, Spain, Portugal (Japan), France, CW (Japan), Russia (GE, It)

              Allied alignments: Brazil, Mexico, Central America (all after start of war)
              Allied DOWs: Ireland (to prevent built-for invasion by Germany), Italy, Vichy (bloody fight in Morocco, invaded 2 stacks of surprised ships, captured the TRS, sunk none), Japan (Russia), Persia (Russia)

              Other US actions: Borders demanded (both), no DOWs. Gib fell, Suez fell, Vichy collapsed (after US entry), Pact areas occupied (both), China surrenders, France conquered, New Zealand conquered.

              So, as you can see, very bad chits for US early (no gearup till late 41), followed by huge chits the turn of gearup, and a 6 chance against Germany (made) followed by an 8 against Japan (with the -3) made. Started late, got in very quickly at that point and doing OK now. Germany built for an invasion of Ireland, lots of ships and TRS, but has not used them except for a couple of raids on convoys.

              Strat bombing has been humorously successful, with every Anson and Whitley that takes off, it seems, dropping a bomb down a smokestack and 3 German FTRs lost in the bombings to only a LND-2 for the Brits. No LND-4s have arrived yet though several US ones on the chart. Just finished M/A 42. Germany and Italy have DOWed Russia while Russia is fighting in Japan, but stopped short of entry. About to go in this turn, I think.

              Bill P

              > The US entry system is somewhat tricky and unpredictable....
              > I would appreciate feedback on when the US geared up and entered
              > the war in your game(s) with a brief description of key events.
              > As an example I provide such a short description of my latest game
              >
              > US entered the war in Sept/Oct 1942 after the japanese dowed them
              > US first gear up in mar/apr 42, second in jul/aug 42
              >
              > Key events: japan dowed Russia sept 39 and a peace settlement
              > was reached mid 40, France fell late 40 (conquered), Italy dowed
              > France, UK dowed Italy, Germany (after Belgium, Denmark and
              > Yugo) conquered Spain mid 41... Soviet dowed Germany in July 41
              > (-4 chits for the US!!!!)...Japan took only 2 cities in China...
              > Germany activated all its balkan allies, Japan activated Siam

            • Christopher Askwith
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
                Never soon/delayed enough, depending on what side you're on.

                ~ Christopher Askwith, B.Mus

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2007
                  The US can gear-up in 1940 and get in the war in mid 1941 and can also
                  see a late 41 gear-up (even early 42) and not getting into the war
                  till mid or even late 1942. It varies quite a bit.

                  In my experience late US gear-up and entry and mostly due to simply
                  getting unlucky and drawing zero value chits and/or having trouble
                  making tension rolls and/or when making a tension roll then moving
                  over a zero value chit to tension. Thankfully the new printed US
                  entry counters (2007) remove 4 of the 6 zero value chits and thus the
                  window of when the US gets in the war will tighten up a bit.

                  In your case you have to make some estimate over the 1941 Soviet DOW
                  on Germany and what it cost you in terms of US entry. If that DOW
                  helps win the game for the allies then the US not gearing up till M/A
                  42 was worth the cost. OTH, if that DOW didn't accomplish much then
                  maybe a 2-3 turn delay for the US will turn out bad.

                  I actually can't tell you what average US entry looks like. Mostly I
                  see extreme results- either US comes in early or late. I believe the
                  new chits will help lessen this dynamic.

                  Lane

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 6, 2007
                    Hi everyone,

                    This is just a bump to put this thread back up in the display list.
                    Please contact me if you're interested in joining my DoD III + WiF
                    player directory.

                    Cheers,
                    Marcus