Re: America in Flames

  • zpmu061
    Message 1 of 52 , Sep 1, 2006
      here some axis winning tips

      overall:
      - play with the modified set ups (less us at start forces
      - play with the modified rules
      - bid (since most people believe its not possible for the axis to
      win, you'll get some more "free" turns
      - dilute the allies force pool (non-canadian cw and all french units
      have a 50% (100% if oos) chance of getting removed from the game)
      - attrition works for you, in all stages of the game.
      - militarily ignore all non-bordering minors, you have 28+ turns to
      slowly move them to your side. don't waste activity limits and time
      on frex paraguay.
      - if you think twice about doing an operation, then do it. time
      works against you.
      - sneaky tipp: reorg trs on the off map boxes with hqs, no rule
      disallows this (using atr is cheesy, since wheather is undefined).

      early stage:

      as the axis, you need to bleed the us in a costly political war.
      assuming standard distribution (us: panama and brazil, axis:
      argentina and peru) keep bumping money into teh other minors the us
      can't ignore frex col, mex, ven, cuba etc.

      at this stage the us wants to build up his naval forces (ships, ftr
      and navs). don't let him do that. have him spend parts of his bps in
      the pol race. keep the psyho war up, keep looking at that beautiful
      cuban ftr in supply in the middle of his caribbean backyard. tell
      him you can already smell the "puros".

      the us can either match your political war neglecting its navy
      builds or invading those minors, giving your add-on politcal points
      to pick the next minor. even imvading will keep large chunks of the
      at start forces busy and commit part of his navy (letting you use
      your navy more aggrisevely elsewhere) the minoirs have quite nice
      units and the wheather is mostly miserable in the long summer turns.

      open up fronts in western can, eastern can, peru/ecu/col and of
      course braz/guy/netherlands.

      as in wif, invade late in a turn and then keep supply in low boxes
      with ftr. (since you are playing classic, no los with cps)

      the us cannot be active on all 4 fronts, first prio will be
      peru/ecu/col due to pananma, then brazil due to free france. keep
      walking around can, moving trs port to port and keeping supply with
      ftrs.

      middle stage:

      once you have a hex on panama, send the jp fleet to the ge and ital
      side and go for the caribbean. again, the us cannot be active on all
      caribbean inslands, so freely build up your air bases and interrupt
      us movemement (especially the often neleceted 3xrange ac rebasing)

      by now you should have monster armies in canada sucking up large
      portion of his land forces and forcing him to build up his land pool

      at this stage the us wants to build up his specialty pool (paras,
      atr, lnd4, arm, hqs). don't let him do that. have him put his bps
      into the cheap land forces due to lack of units. if you force the us
      to build a single gar/mil/inf before summer 47, you are doing great !

      late game:

      by now there should be an all out war in canada, on both sides.
      watch out for his evil air cav, as you'll have trouble garding the
      extensive railroads.

      middle america should be infested. you should have crawled up to
      mexico. don't ever let mex get aligned to the alleis (especially not
      to france).

      with special sneaky operations, you might have gotten a tactical
      foothold in florida, new york or san diego with barely a single
      attack, all in the same turn of course to minimise pm boosts and
      long before he expected it. also here, keep psychology up, us? no
      way, i don't want you to buidl for a million bps (the 0.5 boost is
      actually much less...). you'll be surprised how resistent your land
      units are to the us armors counterattakcs once they've diggen
      themselves into the florida swamps.

      now pull the switch and do a strategic invasion. amazingly, it sould
      first take place in the west coast. how can the few jp land units do
      that? easy, by now ge and ital units have long replaced the jp units
      in central america freeing up loads of troops.

      the strategic invsion on the east coast will take place very late if
      at all. eastern canada is good enough. ge/it have loads of hqs for
      supply. hammer away.

      at this stage the us wants to build up his cheap land forces (mech,
      inf, lnd3, gar). don't let him od that. attrit him so that he never
      builds up, just replaces.

      from then on, its a race for time.

      harold

      --- In wifdiscussion@yahoogroups.com, Dave LeLacheur <lelacheur@...>
      wrote:

      > Harold's math is irrefutable. I'm not sure that Tom is wrong,
      > though, as I've never seen the Axis really win!
      >
      > But is sure is fun trying as Germany and the Axis :-).
      >
      > --djl
      >
      > At 4:08 PM +0000 8/31/06, zpmu061 wrote:
      > >to 1). you only use the highest 1 dice of all the rolls; so the
      > >return of invested bp is not linear.
      > >
      > >frex if the us spends 5 bps per turn to buy 1 droll, you'll
      average
      > >5.5 research increase per turn.
      > >

      > >frex if they spend 5 billion of bps per turn to buy 1 billion
      > >drolls, theyll average 9.9999999999999999 increase per turn.
      > >
      > >so its nor worth it for the allies to put everything into
      research,
      > >since they'll max advance 10 levels per turn.
      > >
      > >they'll usually spend either 10 or 15 bps, depending on how many
      > >turns they think need to last.
      > >
      > >harold
      > >
      > >--- In wifdiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "tbell" <tbell@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> AiF is a great three player game with an interesting situation
      for
      > >the
      > >> Allies. Classic central position vs. superior force. Two
      > >suggestions: 1)
      > >> adopt some kind of HR that limits the % of BPs to be spent on
      > >atomic
      > >> research (otherwise IMO the Allies can put everything into A-
      > >research and
      > >> win); 2) make sure you play with divisions otherwise it is much
      > >harder for
      > >> the Axis to get ashore. Good luck and enjoy the game.
      > >>

      > >> Tom Bell
      > >>
      > >> Reliant Commercial
      > >>
      > >> 1800 St. James Place
      > >>
      > >> Suite 450
      > >>
      > >> Houston, Texas 77056
      > >>
      > >> 713-974-7575
      > >>
      > >> fax-975-0876
      > >>

      >HYPERLINK "http://www.reliantcommercial.com/"www.reliantcommercial.c
      > >>

      > >> --
      > >>

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      >

      > Cheers,
      >
      > Dave LeLacheur
      > lelacheur@...
      > Director of Operations and Customer Service, CareerLeader

      > Visit http://www.careerleader.com to preview the best
      > online business career self-assessment program on the
      > internet: CareerLeader.

    • Mike Page
      Message 52 of 52 , Jul 6, 2012
        Sorry Bill, I misunderstood.