Re: [wifdiscussion] art and a/c

  • AJ Lawson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
      At 07:27 PM 12/31/00 +0000, you wrote:
      >If that's the case (that art ALWAYS act as a/c), then can they also
      >try to flip things during a air action?

      The rules specifically state that you cannot you use ART during an AIR action.

      AJ

      >Jason
    • Szu-Yu Wang
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2001
        I believe, in this case, the FORs have it. Wasn't there a LOC article
        somewhere that mentioned this? I don't remember and am too lazy to dig it
        out.

        Your AGAINST case would be iron clad if the bombard mission said to treat it
        as a ground support mission. But it does not, and the surprise rules say
        that AIRCRAFT may not fly.

        I believe the official ruling is that yes, they may fire when surprised, no
        they may not fire during blizzard. Of course, as a previous poster pointed
        out, (I believe it was Lane?) the two rulings contradict each other, as the
        FOR and AGAINST arguments in both cases are exactly the same! Hehe... I
        love this game.

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2001
          Invasions :
          Notional units in the ZOC of a friendly unit have a +1 combat factor
          In a sense, the friendly corps supports the notional by firing its intrinsic
          guns and with alert patrols.

          The ART supports an adjacent hex by firing. IMO surprised ART should not be
          allowed to fire, since the ART also needs to have prepared target spotting
          and the like. Remember those guns are indirect fire (bell shaped) ones,
          unlike AT guns which use direct fire. Big caliber guns need some time to
          move and prepare. And if allowed to fire, at least it should be halved just
          like AA.

          "Bombard them all, the earth will recognize its own"

          Gilles

          Jeff wrote :

          I believe, in this case, the FORs have it. Wasn't there a LOC article
          somewhere that mentioned this? I don't remember and am too lazy to dig it
          out.

          Your AGAINST case would be iron clad if the bombard mission said to treat it

          as a ground support mission. But it does not, and the surprise rules say
          that AIRCRAFT may not fly.

          I believe the official ruling is that yes, they may fire when surprised, no
          they may not fire during blizzard. Of course, as a previous poster pointed
          out, (I believe it was Lane?) the two rulings contradict each other, as the
          FOR and AGAINST arguments in both cases are exactly the same! Hehe... I
          love this game.
        • Juha Jansson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2001
            From: "AJ Lawson" <ajlawson@...>

            > At 07:27 PM 12/31/00 +0000, you wrote:
            > >If that's the case (that art ALWAYS act as a/c), then can they also
            > >try to flip things during a air action?
            >
            > The rules specifically state that you cannot you use ART during an AIR
            action.

            > AJ
            >

            > >Jason

            Incorrect.

            "Field artillery units
            You can use an ART unit exactly like any other land unit. However, a face-up
            in-supply ART unit can bombard instead (its combat factors are circled in
            grey). Bombardment does not count against any activity limit (see 10.2)."

            However, you can't _double_ field artilleries when using an offensive chit
            during an air action.

            --Juha