Re: Historical Restrictions / Gamemanship

  • carlalexfriisnielsen
    Message 1 of 82 , May 1, 2002
      --- In wifdiscussion@y..., devinc@a... wrote:
      > I agree in general with Daren Moss as quoted below.
      > Jeff and I basically avoid ultra-gamey or rules-lawyering
      > tactics and if something really egregious crops up it
      > is house ruled on the spot. WIF zen it all you like...crap
      > like Belgium aligning with China doesn't belong in the
      > game...period (IMNSHO).

      So whenever one of your oppnents comes up with a clever ploy
      you didn't foresee you reserve the right to change the rules
      in mid game to forbid it ?

      If a player desires to align Belgium with China, then
      just let her - Belgium is either going to fall soon
      beneath the treads of the German tanks or it doesn't
      matter since the game is over anyway. And exactly
      where is China supposed to get the resources to advance
      build a FTR several years in advance ?

      If you absolutely have to house rule something you should
      agree on it BEFORE the game so that all players have
      access to the same set of rules - and all such house rules
      should be written down so you know what you have agreed
      upon.

      Changing the rules in mid-game is extremely unsporting
      by my standards.

      Cheers,

      Carl
    • Søren Egmose
      Message 82 of 82 , Aug 6, 2002
        On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:18:29 -0400, in mail
        <3CCF3455.84B4CBF3@...> Bob Andriola <doctormm@...> wrote:

        >So the CW blows up two oil wells before the embargo, then when the US picks
        >embargo, the NE INF and TERR blow up the other two wells before the Japanese can
        >do anything about it.

        They need to be unconquered and in supply to do this.

        >Like I said, perfectly legal, and patently absurd. Most
        >bogus moves like this at least have a potential down side (US Entry, diversion
        >of effort, etc.). There is no real down side here. The INF isn't going to hold
        >out in the Netherlands, and 2 oil for one turn isn't terribly likely to cost the
        >CW the game. Each burned well costs Japan a minimum of what, 6 build points
        >(repair plus lost income)?
        >
        >Whatever.
        >
        >Bob

        mvh.