39 campaign setup & CBV

  • dimitris_dux
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2013
      - At the start of the 1939 scenario Japan controls Nanking
      - Japan gets to setup (a total of) 4 MIL units among those available
      - There is a CBV MIL that Japan gets according to rule 22.4.8:
      "These units become available to the respective major power when their home city is controlled by it. During any production step while this city is controlled, that major power may place that unit onto the production circle as if built that turn. They are free the first time they are purchased and do not count for gearing limits. They arrive as reinforcements in their home city."
      the question
      May Japan not include the Nanking ML among the ones from which the setup random draw is made and then take it for free either during setup or in a later turn?
    • Dave LeLacheur
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 19, 2013
        It does not set up, but can freely be placed on turn 1 as a standard CBV first-time build.

        Cheers,
        Dave L.

        On Mar 19, 2013, at 7:09 AM, dimitris_dux wrote:

        > - At the start of the 1939 scenario Japan controls Nanking
        > - Japan gets to setup (a total of) 4 MIL units among those available
        > - There is a CBV MIL that Japan gets according to rule 22.4.8:
        > "These units become available to the respective major power when their home city is controlled by it. During any production step while this city is controlled, that major power may place that unit onto the production circle as if built that turn. They are free the first time they are purchased and do not count for gearing limits. They arrive as reinforcements in their home city."
        > the question
        > May Japan not include the Nanking ML among the ones from which the setup random draw is made and then take it for free either during setup or in a later turn?

        Cheers,

        Dave LeLacheur
        davelelacheur@...

      • Steve Balk
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 19, 2013
          Japan should take it as a free reinforcement that comes in November/December 1939. Similar to many German units like the Vienna cbv. Reason: it is an additional unit, free the first time.

          Steve B

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Mar 19, 2013, at 6:09 AM, "dimitris_dux" <nikolad1@...> wrote:

          > - At the start of the 1939 scenario Japan controls Nanking
          > - Japan gets to setup (a total of) 4 MIL units among those available
          > - There is a CBV MIL that Japan gets according to rule 22.4.8:
          > "These units become available to the respective major power when their home city is controlled by it. During any production step while this city is controlled, that major power may place that unit onto the production circle as if built that turn. They are free the first time they are purchased and do not count for gearing limits. They arrive as reinforcements in their home city."
          > the question
          > May Japan not include the Nanking ML among the ones from which the setup random draw is made and then take it for free either during setup or in a later turn?

        • Henrik Litsne
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 19, 2013
            Actually there is a difference. The Vienna MIL could not have been used previously since Germany wasn't at war and the MILs wasn't in the force pool. This is not true of Japan.

            I think the Nanking MIL should be part of the original draw, but free if it isn't drawn since its pre-SO39 status is unknown.

            /HL

            ________________________________
            Japan should take it as a free reinforcement that comes in November/December 1939. Similar to many German units like the Vienna cbv. Reason: it is an additional unit, free the first time.

            Steve B

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Mar 19, 2013, at 6:09 AM, "dimitris_dux" <nikolad1@...> wrote:

            > - At the start of the 1939 scenario Japan controls Nanking
            > - Japan gets to setup (a total of) 4 MIL units among those available
            > - There is a CBV MIL that Japan gets according to rule 22.4.8:
            > "These units become available to the respective major power when their home city is controlled by it. During any production step while this city is controlled, that major power may place that unit onto the production circle as if built that turn. They are free the first time they are purchased and do not count for gearing limits. They arrive as reinforcements in their home city."
            > the question
            > May Japan not include the Nanking ML among the ones from which the setup random draw is made and then take it for free either during setup or in a later turn?

          • William Popovich
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 19, 2013
              The rule is clear:

              At the start of a campaign, it is assumed that none of the units have been
              brought into the game yet

              On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Henrik Litsne <henriklitsne@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Actually there is a difference. The Vienna MIL could not have been used
              > previously since Germany wasn't at war and the MILs wasn't in the force
              > pool. This is not true of Japan.
              >
              > I think the Nanking MIL should be part of the original draw, but free if
              > it isn't drawn since its pre-SO39 status is unknown.
              >
              > /HL

              > Fr�n: Steve Balk <sajbalk@...>

            • Henrik Litsne
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 19, 2013
                Ah, we should read to the end of the rule. Tricky :)

                /HL