Re: Port Attack search numbers

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 12:01 AM
      I believe you suffer weather modifiers on the search rolls for port attacks, since RAW refers constantly to 11.5.6. Likewise you would not get the modifications for CVPs with range greater than 3, if this were not so.

      --- In wifdiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "kenzclark" <kenzclark@...> wrote:

      > yes, only the target hex matters.
      >
      > I would assume that you pretend that the weather in the sea zone is clear and act accordingly.
      >
      > There are no modifiers to search rolls for port attacks, just pure competitive die rolls (based on what box you are in of course).
      >
      > Ken
      >
      > --- In wifdiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "scdavies1962" <scdavies@> wrote:
      > >
      > > If the sea zone a port attack originates in is storm, but the target hex is clear, a port attack can occur, right? And if so, say the fleet is sitting in the 2 box with CVP's of a range of 4-6. What would their search number be and would they suffer a -1 to their search roll?

    • kenzclark
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 6:41 AM
        You can't fail to "find" in port attacks and both sides roll dice, so any weather modifiers are moot as they would negate each other.

        Also, the CVP/nav modification changes the sea box the units are in, whereas the weather modifiers affect search results. There is a difference here as well. (e.g. units in printed map box 3 with a nav are actually in box 4. Even if there was bad weather (except storm/blizzard of course which negates the nav) you're still in the 4 box even though you might find 10% less of the time.)

        Ken

        --- In wifdiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pderynck@...> wrote:

        > I believe you suffer weather modifiers on the search rolls for port attacks, since RAW refers constantly to 11.5.6. Likewise you would not get the modifications for CVPs with range greater than 3, if this were not so.
        >

        > --- In wifdiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "kenzclark" <kenzclark@> wrote:
        > >
        > > yes, only the target hex matters.
        > >
        > > I would assume that you pretend that the weather in the sea zone is clear and act accordingly.
        > >
        > > There are no modifiers to search rolls for port attacks, just pure competitive die rolls (based on what box you are in of course).
        > >
        > > Ken
        > >
        > > --- In wifdiscussion@yahoogroups.com, "scdavies1962" <scdavies@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > If the sea zone a port attack originates in is storm, but the target hex is clear, a port attack can occur, right? And if so, say the fleet is sitting in the 2 box with CVP's of a range of 4-6. What would their search number be and would they suffer a -1 to their search roll?

      • micheljq
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 9:23 AM
          The player who is target of the port attack, can, however, spend 4 surprise points (if he has them) and avoid the port attack.