[wickwire_wickware] Re: Nancy WICKWIRE

  • Betty Childs Klaviter
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20, 1999
      Dear Rick and Wickwire Family:
      While at the library over the weekend, doing looks ups in the New
      York Times, I noticed the obit for Nancy WICKWIRE, actress and was
      going to post a question about her...wondering where she fit in..and
      saw Rick's same question in the 2nd Family Newsletter!
      She had a large obit for the New York Times, together with a
      picture. She was born is Harrisburg, PA on November 20, 1925 and died
      July 10, 1974. Nothing was mentioned in the obit about any family,
      just her career.
      I really enjoy reading all the Posts from the Wickwire family.
      You are a wonderful group!
      Betty Childs Klaviter
      (cousin of Peter, Grandson of Arthur Manley Wickwire)
      (9th Cousin, once removed of Stephen's)
    • Beck1925@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 20, 1999
        Cousins,

        Nancy Wickwire's line is Alva B Jr, Alva B, Henry 199.

        She has bios in a number of who's who like publications, including Who's Who
        American Women, Foremost Women in Communications, NY Times Biographical
        Service, Who's Who in American Theatre, and Notable Names in American
        Theatre.

        What I have:

        Nancy Marie Wickwire b 20 Nov 1925 Harrisburg, Penn, daughter of Alva B and
        Ruther Marie (Larson) Wickwire. Alva was a manager with Railway Express
        Agency (don't know what that is). Nancy graduated John Harris HS 1943, BA
        Carnegie Inst of Tech 1948, studied acting at Old Vic School in London,
        England 1949-1951. Nancy married actor and director Basil Langton on 29 Sep
        1959. They had no children, as far as I can tell.
        I have a long list of what she did in theatre....

        stephen beck
        new york
      • Jack D. Wickware
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 1999
          Stephen

          A bit of trivia about Nancy Wickwire. Years ago we got her bill by
          mistake from I. Magnin & Co. an exclusive women's clothing store, now
          defunct, but headquartered in San Francisco but with a branch in other
          cities, including New York, where she had shopped. Our bill was usually
          hefty enough, so, needless to say, I sent it back to the store.

          On another celebrity, do you, or anyone else, have any info on Francis
          Sill Wickware. I used to see his byline in old Life magazines, and I
          know he has written books. I have a copy of one, called Tuesday to Bed,
          published in 1948. It lists another of his books, Dangerous Ground.

          Jack Wickware

          Orinda, CA
        • Beck1925@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 20, 1999
            Jack,

            forgot to add that the I Magnum billing mistake is a great family anecdote.

            stephen
          • cfwickwi@bejv.tengizchevroil.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 20, 1999
              Stephen has come through again. His information database is superb, and
              always proves to be accurate. I will attempt to find some of these
              publications and find out more about Nancy for the website and the
              newsletter.

              Incidentally, the webhosting company says we will be on line within 48
              hours. I will alert this list immediately. I have seen the preliminary
              work that my sons Eric and Trey have done and it is impressive. I thank
              them immensely.

              Rick

              beck192-@... wrote:
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/wickwire_wickware/?start=