1The Wick Weaving Mill

  • Graham Brodie
    Feb 10, 2005
      Does anyone reading this have any information concerning a weaving mill in Wick. My maternal grandmother, Catherine (Katie) Lyall nee More worked there and lost her right arm in an accident there when she was in her teens probably around 1902. I believe that my grandfather Henry Lyall also worked there for some time.

      I think that the location was in the vicinity of Albert Street/Huddart Street but I would be interested to learn more so that I have some background when I come to Wick to visit the archives.

      Also I would dearly love to find old photographs of the Macrae Street area. My grandparents lived for many years at no 29, on the corner of Northcote Street and when I was last in Wick 50 years ago (yes I know!) I took a photograph of the building, now sadly demolished. In the course of several house moves I have lost it (despite the fact that I never throw anything away, so my wife tells me).

      If anyone can help with either of these queries I shall be most grateful. I am also posting this on the Caithness Family History site so my apologies to thoes of you who read it twice.

      Graham Brodie
      researching: More, Lyall, Brodie and connections