vegan as well

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2006
      Well, I became a vegetarian in late December 2005, and by the
      following February I had cut all animal completely out of my diet.
      Eating at a restaurant in the ICT is hard. I don't have a problem
      with my diet, but I've found that the minute I step outside my door
      and into a restaurant, it becomes a huge issue. I've learned that
      not many people here really know what "vegan" is. To save time, I
      just tell them all I'm lactose intolerant and I don't eat meat. If
      they know that they may kill you if they give you the wrong food,
      they're more likely to prepare your meals a bit more carefully.
      Really, if you hit the mediterranean (probably didn't spell that
      right) or asian cusines in town, you find some great food. I'm
      shocked at it, but Village Inn actually carries boca burgers. I had
      a horrible experience when my carniverous friends dragged me into
      Outback Steakhouse. We're talking about a company that doesn't even
      have a marinara sauce, let alone a salad that isn't dripping in
      flesh. I told my waitress I was vegan, and went with her food
      recommendations. I spent quite a bit of money that night, only to
      get sick the next day. Turns out that everything the waitress had
      assured me I could eat had butter or milk in it, and since it hadn't
      been in my system for so long, I was so tired and lackadaisical the
      next day I could barely function at work. It was horrible.
      Oh, I guess that this is supposed to be an introduction since it's
      my first post. Hey! I'm Jen! Nice to meetcha!
    • deniseg79
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 23, 2006
        Hey, glad to hear there are more of us out here in Wichita!!! I
        started a wichita vegetarians and vegans on meetup.com if you want to
        join there there are 8 more of us. I sometimes tell people I'm lactose
        intolerant too just because I'm too lazy to explain everything about
        being vegan--then when you do it leads to funny looks and a long list
        of questions. Not too many options in Wichita (Dallas/ Fort worth is
        great compared to here). So far as I can tell there is stuff a PF
        Changs, Macaroni Grill (tell them no chesse no butter) Johnny
        Carino's, Bennigans,A Taste of India, Poblanos, and Green leaf cafe
        (the Indian groc store sells snacks and some stuff on the weekend but
        the place isn't exactly clean).
        I do know the feeling of accidently eating dairy after not eating
        it for a long time...I did that too and my stomach hurt so bad!!
        Glad to meet you and hope to see you on meetup.com...If not I check
        here regularly too.
        Denise
      • Jenny Demonic
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2006
          Sounds cool.  What's the website for the meetup group?

          deniseg79 <deniseg79@...> wrote:

          I started a wichita vegetarians and vegans on meetup.com if you want to
          join there there are 8 more of us.

          Ring'em or ping'em. Make PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.
        • Denise Greathouse
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 23, 2006
            http://vegetarian.meetup.com/381/

            Or you can just go to meetup.com and search for
            wichita vegetarians. :-)
            Denise

            http://mail.yahoo.com