Spam on the WhidbeyLost Dogs List

  • Maxwelton Valley Gardens
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2006
      This is a topic that has plagued us since the list was created.

      As moderator, I could change the list to allow only members to post
      messages. Or I could set it up so I have to clear and release messages that
      go out to the list.

      Both options would tend to defeat the purpose of the list.

      The first because when a dog is lost many people become frantic and find the
      list and just want to send an email out as fast as possible. They may not be
      familiar with how to sign up, etc. So this option would delay messages.

      The second method is worse. I cannot look at the log of emails every few
      hours and release only legitimate messages about lost of found dogs. It
      could be a day later before I release an email message. And those of us who
      have lost dogs know how critical time is. Dogs can travel miles in a short
      time, and many dogs die on the roads here on Whidbey.

      So the spam continues. Personally I don't feel it's that arduous to delete
      the obvious spam emails. I have used the list in the past to alert people
      when one of my dogs wanders off, so I feel it's a small price to pay for the
      extra help. I know after a spate of trash emails hit the list a number of
      people unsubscribe, which is too bad. The more people on the list the better
      the chance of reuniting a dog and its family.

      An alternative to just living with the spam may be to set up your email
      software to filter out emails from the group that do not have the words LOST
      or FOUND in the subject. Of course, not everyone uses that recommended
      verbiage, so again the solution isn't perfect.

      Ron Kerrigan