Chaka the wonder dog....

  • chalitsu
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2006
      Well, I keep thinking that you guys are sick of hearing about Chaka
      and then I remember that you are all a bunch of crazy dog lovers like
      me, so you might enjoy this. I will stop writing these when I stop
      being amazed. (Be right back...he is barking at the back door right now).

      Many of you may remember that he suffered a fibrocartilagenous
      embolism (a stroke type thing) 5 weeks ago, that left him with
      mobility only in his eyes. Couldn't wag his tail, pee....nothing. We
      got up every two hours every night to take him out to pee or whatever
      and got NO sleep for weeks. My good wife, Crary, took care of him for
      the first two, most critical weeks and refused to let the docs in
      Everett put him down. We were all out of town and I really don't know
      how she did it.

      Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, chaka kind of stood up, in a sort of
      crouch. Today, he is able to stand and drink/eat and move around the
      house and go outside to do his thing WITHOUT assistance. He still
      falls down, but not near as much as he has been. His front paws still
      want to curl under, but he somehow get them pads down and takes off.
      (Thanks to Susan Azar for showing us the Tellington Touch technique.
      I think it is more than coincidence that two days after we started
      doing that to him, he started getting up.) He books around the yard
      now at about half running speed, like a drunk sailor off the boat. It
      truly is a miracle and I am telling you about it because I am
      convinced that it is not just this dog, but all animals who will fight
      to live when they are injured, if we just give them a chance. Looking
      into his eyes way back, convinced us that he was all there, just
      injured...not sick. And it has been worth every second of
      discomfort. He is back to being the pain in the ass that he was
      before and THAT is the miracle. Never give up on your pal...ever.

      Thanks to all of you who have continued to ask after us and the dog.
      It is a real community of animal lovers out there; people who see
      themselves coexisting with these creatures, as opposed to "owning"
      them. I will never look at life on this planet the same way, after
      this experience. I hope that you won't either.

      Thanks and my best regards to all of you dog maniacs out there....

      Mark Gaggia for Chaka the Wonder Bubble Dog