Helping Chaka Dog Recover.....

  • chalitsu
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2006
      Our protector and best dog friend and resident, Chaka, recently
      suffered the equivelant of a stroke, being a fibrocartilaginious
      embolization, a wayward fragment of disc material entering the
      spinal cord's vascular system. It has left the dog paralyzed, but in
      good spirits. He has gone from a "stuffed dog" to being able to eat,
      drink, pee et al, wag his tail and move all fours during dreaming. He
      can roll himself over now and barks like a mad dog when he wants
      something, like going out to do his busines. But, he is still not
      moving any of his legs, really. He is only two weeks into it, but I
      want to do whatever I can to facilitate his return to even a semi
      normal life.
      Is there something that I can do to help stimulate his muscles; the
      legs front and back to keep them supple and energized till he might
      get a little motion and strngth back in them? Massage? Does anyone
      on the island work with rehabilitation of dogs like this? Anybody
      know anything
      in here? Sure would appreciate whatever info you might have. Even
      opinions. Thanks.
      Mark Gaggia in Freeland