Whidbey Lost Dogs List

  • Ron Kerrigan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2007
      Since this list was started a few years ago spam has been a constant
      annoyance.

      The problem is that in order to be effective, the messages people send
      regarding lost or found dogs are time sensitive.

      The Yahoo List Moderator (me) can set up the list so that any message
      sent to the group needs to be approved by the moderator (me) first.
      Since that will delay messages (I don't look at email or the web more
      than once a day sometimes), I never turned it on.

      There is also an option that allows only group members (you) to send an
      email to the group. This might be the better option. The problem with
      that is that someone who is not a member but has lost a dog may not know
      how to join, and waste time trying to find out how, or find a member to
      send the email for him. This could reduce spam since the spammers are
      not usually members (unfortunately there are people who join and then
      send non-dog related messages. I usually ban them when I discover it.)

      There are currently 92 members on the list. Since May, there has been
      one legitimate email about a lost dog, and over 150 spam emails. The
      Yahoo list did catch about 23 emails that were spam and didn't send them
      out. I cannot see a way to mark certain emails as spam (like the ones
      touting OEM Software.) Since May, 7 members have unsubscribed. Happily,
      the WAIF animal shelter is still on the list, so that important resource
      is still available to the list.

      If anyone on the list would like to be designated as a moderator and
      commit to checking the queue frequently during the day, I would be happy
      to give them access to the list and change the setting to not send
      emails that are not approved first. Then we might be able to cut out
      spam and still have legitimate messages go out quickly. It appears that
      only two people can be designated for this authority. Let me know if you
      are willing to take on this task.

      Another option is for each member to not receive individual emails, but
      one digest email at the end of each day. Again, it will delay real pleas
      for help. You can alter your own setting on the Yahoo list for this.
      You'll still see the spam, but it can be easily ignored.

      I regret that the list has become a source of annoyance for some. It has
      actually reunited a few lost pets with their family, so it does serve a
      purpose. That might make the onslaught of unwanted emails a little more
      bearable.

      Ron Kerrigan