Hugh Hopper, the sound explorer

  • Leonardo / MoonJune
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007
      Hello Rattlers

      I would like to share with you this great description of Hugh Hopper and his music, recently published in the great British jazz magazine, JazzWise. This exactly describes all about my great friend Hugh hopper, one of the greatest people that you can find out among musicians.

      Cheers
      Leonardo
      MoonJune

      "If born in 19th century, Hugh Hopper would have been a cartographer or topographer, an explorer of territory and definer of space. Not for him, the observer's projections onto peoples and customs of anthropology. First and foremost, he makes music that charts landscapes, if it has an emotional aspect, it is in our reaction to it rather than in the places and attractions to which it takes us. In some ways, this is familiar territory and more a replotting of existing contours and valleys, yet it is also Hopper's strongest record in years. He needs boundary-jumpers and sound scientists like Picard, Franklin and Hayward, who can make that necessary leap. And this is powerful, strong, robust music. Bass lines like unhurried rivers with fuzz swirling in eddies plot their course, while Picard's muscular sax scales peaks and cliffs. Keyboards marks the changing seasons blowing across the plains and the drums count time passing. Even its abstractions are details not yet fully defined. This is Dartmoor, the Gobi, the Alps and the Indus valley. A fine record for geographers everywhere".

      ­ Duncan Heining, JazzWise Magazine (UK)
    • Jeff Sherman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2007
        Leonardo:

        As one who has had the privilege of working with Hugh through a few of those uncharted waters I wholeheartedly concur with Mr. Heining's beautifully written piece. The man has an fascinating mind...

        Jeff