Titan transit of 23-24 February

  • Arnaud
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
    • 291 KB
    Hi All,

    A few months ago (has it been that long?!!) I have been enyoing the
    climate and hospitality of the Big Island. I visited Hawaii mainly to
    observe the Titan transits that were visible at February and Marvh.
    Unfortunately the weather was not very cooperative, so I was not able to
    make the very high resolution images I wanted. But I took a lot of
    shots, and when I got back home, the hard work started: I sifted through
    thousands of single frames in order to find a few good ones so I could
    assemble the Titan transit of 23-24 February.

    As promised, I'm sending you my results. I hope you like them. Despite
    the weather, I'm very grateful to have witnessed and recorded it.

    Regards,

    Arnaud van Kranenburg,
    the Netherlands
  • widma@aol.com
    Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
      Arnaud,  many thanks for the Titan transit photos.  Nice job!!  We want to know what equipment you used to get the photos and where you did the viewing and the photography??  aloha, Alice and Bob Widmann

      Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
        Hi Alice & Bob,

        Thanks, I'm very happy to have been able to see the transit.

        I took the images of Saturn with a 315 mm Dall Kirkham design telescope
        at f/40. It is called the Gladius CF315. The camera used was a SkyNyx
        2-0 monochrome camera. I was observing from the Onizuka Visitors Centre
        at Mauna Kea.
        The image sequence is based on the best 1200 of about 110000 single
        frames. Colour was restored to the sequence by using RGB filters.

        Regards,

        Arnaud