Will there be a Star Party at the VIS on Saturday night?
- Aloha All,
Sorry I've been out of contact for a while....vacation on the
mainland, and now Jury Duty have kept me away. How about a star
I've seen and heard from some members that the VIS will host the star
party tomorrow night, to include folks from HAC, WHAC, and ?? I like
the idea, and was definitely planning to go until I looked at the
Mauna Kea weather forecast and the Hawaii forecast. They're about as
different as I've ever seen them in a while. The Mauna Kea forecast
is downright ugly...not conducive to going up. However the satellite
imagery and regular hawaii forecast looks ok. Last night's Keck
observing reports had bad seeing and some humidity to start the
night, but otherwise clear skies. This weather looks bad to me
(which means it's probably going to be just fine). Personally, I
think we'll want to revisit our call for going up to the VIS after
tonight's 5pm Mauna Kea forecast comes out. If as expected, there's
going to be bad seeing, high probability for extensive fog and/or
precip, I'd prefer to just stay home. But I'm also open to watching
the sky and making a late determination.
So, for those do-or-die folks who plan to go no matter what, my hat's
off to you. For all others who'd like to go but want a better
forecast, I'll put out another email tonight after 5, and again
tomorrow afternoon. Please watch these posts and we'll make a final
call tomorrow afternoon (about 3pm-ish) for all us fair-weather types.