[wf100] Re: course changes

  • Stan Jensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2000
      Robert Clementz wrote:

      > I am interested in the specifics of the course changes that were
      > implemented in 1999 and continued in 2000. I ran it in 1994 and 1998
      > and the course was the same. The start and the finish are different
      > now and I am looking for a someone who has run both courses and has on
      > idea of the differences.

      I ran the course in 1997 (and part of it in 1998) and loved the new
      course last year. Assuming they don't change it for 2000, this is what
      to expect:

      The new start at Kaysville is similar to Fernwood: a crowded parking
      spot for your crew and a lot of runners bunched up at the start.
      However, the new start is on a rolling dirt road for about 1/2 mile
      before it turns into a rolling trail that takes you past the original
      start (at mile 3.6). By this time you're warmed up and spread out. I
      think this is a big improvement.

      At the other end, once you descend that steep hill into the Mill Canyon
      aid station, you do NOT turn left and go down the road towards Cascade
      Springs. Instead you head right and soon leave the road to run on
      rolling single track trails until reaching the last aid station (Alpine
      Loop). From there to the finish is a seemingly endless stretch, but it
      is pretty and mostly downhill and a big improvement over the roads into
      Midway.

      I hope this helps you ... at least until another veteran chimes in :-)

      Stan
      --
      Stan Jensen, P.O. Box 3426, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019-3426
      http://www.Run100s.com/ mailto:StanJ@...