The Fear

  • derf4000
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15 9:33 PM
      I wanted to talk about a situation that inmates returning to society
      often think about. I suppose there are many emotions involved with
      the release, but I wanted to share some as I experienced it. From
      what I have noticed, many loved ones are concerned that their loved
      ones will come back bitter and unchanged, and end up going back to
      prison in a few years, if not sooner.

      Obviously there is a lot of truth to that. Many inmates do get out
      and return back to society a little better than before. However,
      just as many, if not more, end up going back to prison, or at least
      jail. What can you do, or what can the inmate do to offset this
      horrible trend?

      There is no one single answer, because no human works the exact same
      way. If the laws differ depending on the situation, then so does
      the rehabilitation. There is no one answer that will work for every
      inmate who wants to change. Having said that, I can only share what
      I went through, and what I feared. Maybe what I share will be read
      by someone who might be able to apply it to their lives, or someone
      they love.

      Since I have yet to learn how to write short posts, I will keep it
      short, and share more on my blogs. But for me, the fear I had was
      being accepted back into society and the ability to truly be "free".

      When you're locked up, you are closed from the rest of the world.
      That separation can create a sense of no longer belonging to the
      free world. If you twist that a little, it also means the inmate
      can believe that society does not WANT them back. Unfortunately
      there are far, far too many examples of this. Society in general
      feels that inmates have no use outside of prison, and prisons
      compound this with continual suppression and condemnation. I know
      this might sound one-sided, but to an inmate who has been locked up
      or any length of time, it seems very real.

      So when that time gets closer to an inmate's release, as in what I
      experienced, I was very concerned about how I was going to make it
      out there. I mean, in prison I had a job (not much, but it was a
      job), I had a place to sleep, clothes to wear, no bills to worry
      about. And this was part of my condemnation. But now, ironically,
      being set free meant dealing with bills, getting a job so I can buy
      food, shelter, clothes, medical care and everything else that
      society deals with. The drawback was I was now "marked",
      or "cursed", however you want to put it. Many inmates feel an
      overwhelming sense of guilt, shame and despair because their future
      does not look very promising.

      I'd like to discuss this further as we get some responses. This can
      be a big concern to many people, and maybe some answers can be shed
      through some discussion. I don't promise any solutions, but maybe
      we can open some doors of discussion. I don't want to run my mouth
      too much; I can do that on my blogs