1245Re: [westloopsnb] West Loop SnB, 5/21/2014, 6:00 pm

    May 21, 2014
      Here's the recipe I was talking about - I couldn't remember where I found it, so no link, but at least I had it copied out :)

      Spaetzle With Kielbasa and Caramelized Onions

      Time: 1 hour 45 minutes

      1 pound smoked kielbasa, cut into 3/4-inch chunks

      1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter

      1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced

      1 large thyme sprig

      Kosher salt

      2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

      1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

      2 large eggs, lightly beaten

      3/4 cup whole milk

      1/2 pound Emmentaler cheese, grated (2 cups)

      1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

      1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, lightly brown the kielbasa until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Melt the butter in the skillet. Stir in the onion and thyme, and stir briefly to coat the onion with butter. Cook onion, without stirring, until dark brown, about 5 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and cook on low heat until very soft and caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons water and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Transfer onion to a bowl.

      2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and the nutmeg. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir well. The batter should be fairly wet, with a consistency slightly thicker than pancake batter.

      3. Spread a clean dish towel flat on a work surface adjacent to the stove. Working over the pot of boiling water, press dough through a spaetzle maker or use a rubber spatula to push it through a colander with holes at least 1/4-inch wide. Drop dough into the water. When dumplings rise to the surface, use a slotted spoon to transfer to the towel.

      4. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Toss the spaetzle and kielbasa in the bowl with the onions, and add 1 1/2 cups cheese and the pepper. Spread into a 2-quart gratin dish. Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until golden and bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.

      Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

      On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Leslie Patterson <patterson.leslie@...> wrote:

      Yep, I'll be there!

      On May 20, 2014 1:32 PM, "Christine Witkowski" <cwitkows@...> wrote:
      Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow!

      Chris

      On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM, <westloopsnb@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Reminder from: westloopsnb Yahoo Group

      Title: West Loop SnB

      Date: Wednesday May 21, 2014
      Time: 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm (GMT+00:00)
      Location: Mariano's (40 S. Halsted, 1st Floor)

      Get reminders on your mobile, Yahoo Messenger, and email.
      Edit reminder options
      Privacy | Terms