programming job opening soon

  • Benjamin Hitz
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3 2:17 PM
      This is not even posted yet... but we expect that funding would be
      available as early as May, and August at the latest:

      Stanford University's Department of Genetics has an excellent
      opportunity available for a motivated and experienced senior
      web developer to help maintain and enhance several genome database
      projects. This primarily involves working as part of a small team of
      programming professionals in direct collaboration with curatorial and
      systems management staff to enhance large web applications
      used by researchers worldwide. Your programming tasks will include
      the creation and configuration of generic, portable software modules
      that interact with
      Oracle and MySQL databases to allow users to retrieve, analyze and
      visualize genomic and proteomic information over the web. This
      position will work within the Saccharomyces Genome Database and Yeast
      Intermine
      projects -- both funded by the National Institutes of Health.
      The candidate must have technical expertise in software engineering,
      particularly
      dynamic web applications and several years of experience with UNIX is
      essential,
      along with excellent verbal and written communication skills and
      experience with
      CVS/SVN, Java, Perl or other scripting language, HTML and CGI.
      Experience
      with relational databases is essential.

      Some knowledge of modern high-throughput genomics and proteomics
      experiments and data types is highly desirable.

      Sig
      --
      Ben Hitz
      Senior Scientific Programmer ** Saccharomyces Genome Database ** GO
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3 3:23 PM
        Damn. If I had any programing skills  I would be all over this, I NEED something these days!. Thanks for the heads up.

        Sig, the bruise you tattooed onto the back of my ass last night is so nasty and painful its been giving me memories of  Catholic-school punishment I was subjected to weekly as a second grader. I can't wait until I can do that to you one day!

        See you tomorrow.
        Eigill

[...]

        Stanford University ** hitz@genome. stanford. edu

      • Benjamin Hitz
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3 3:41 PM

          On Apr 3, 2009, at 3:23 PM, owen matthew aurelio wrote:

          Sig, the bruise you tattooed onto the back of my ass last night is so nasty and painful its been giving me memories of  Catholic-school punishment I was subjected to weekly as a second grader. I can't wait until I can do that to you one day!

          It's sort of one of the great ironies of the SCA that you never really get pay back for these - except from your "peers" (not Peers).
          For example Pallidus and I still trade welts and have been doing so for a couple years now.  But I doubt I will ever get Roric back... although he was more of a helmet denter than an ass brusier.   Jade gave me bone chips in my elbow, I kinda doubt I will (nor want to) to return the favor.  Uther forced me to change my leg armor (without words)... but if we trade bruises they are little welts, not something you would bitch about on the interwebs.

          Believe me, I have YEARS of these from my days in the East Kingdom.

          You do get to pay them forward on the next generation - I suggest you content yourself with that.

          --
          Ben Hitz
          Senior Scientific Programmer
          Saccharomyces Genome Project
          Stanford University

        • Chad Lynch

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3 6:57 PM
              Oh God, I was not bitching! I was more admiring it! It is really incredible, thats all... not bitching... not bitching....

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3 6:58 PM
                no bruise there, Chad, just a stirred up gut.... you still made me gurgle out loud, though. Killer.