Liberty: -- Talking Points -- Hang up on this

  • Marc Brands Liberty
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hang up on this

      Although you'd be hard-pressed to find any language in the
      Constitution authorizing such a thing, Congress is now entertaining a
      "Cell Phone User Bill of Rights" that would impose a variety of new
      mandates on the wireless industry.

      Senator Charles Schumer has proposed the measure as a way to "foster
      competition," "improve disclosure" and "[make] it easier for consumers
      to choose plans."

      Hmmm... perhaps Sen. Schumer is not talking about the same cell phone
      industry that the other 137 million of us currently subscribe to in
      America because it is difficult to see where the crisis is here.
      Consumers aren't clamoring for federal regulation, and why should
      they?

      Today, almost all Americans have a choice of at least three cellular
      providers in their communities, with most having five or six to choose
      from. Average local monthly bills fell from an estimated $95 per month
      in 1988 to roughly $47 in 2002. Service options and calling plans have
      multiplied. And service quality is constantly improving as carriers
      build-out their networks.

      This sounds like a classic capitalist success story, not a pending
      consumer crisis that requires bureaucratic intervention to head off.

      Why not a "Clean Gas Station Bathroom Bill of Rights" and a "Speedy
      Restaurant Service Bill of Rights" while we're at it? Such proposals
      assume we have a God-given right to things we have no right to
      whatsoever.

      Congress should spend less time penning new Bill of Rights' proposals
      and start doing more to honor and restore the Founders' original 10.

      -- Adam D. Thierer, The New York Post March 12, 2003

      Archive: http://www.liberty-news.com/newsletter.html
      Address or Other inquires please go to the following link
      for instructions: http://www.liberty-news.com/sub.html