Wayne Root Leaves LP Leadership, Seeks US Senate Seat

  • Bruce Cohen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2012
      Wayne Root leaves Libertarian Party leadership, will seek US Senate seat

      September 6th, 2012 ·
      To My LNC and Libertarian Party Friends,

      I have spent the last 60 days thinking about my political future. I have consulted with many friends and political experts I trust. I have listened to my wife and my family’s wishes. And I have come to an important decision — perhaps among the most important of my life.

      It has been a whirlwind last five years in my political career. I started as a S.O.B. (son of a butcher), small businessman, home-school dad, Las Vegas oddsmaker, and political newcomer running for the Libertarian Presidential nomination in 2007. Some thought my journey a longshot.

      But in America anything is possible. In this great country, never discount a longshot. I was elected the Libertarian Vice Presidential nominee in 2008. The Bob Barr/Wayne Root Presidential ticket went on to garner the second highest vote total in Libertarian history.

      I was then elected to the Libertarian National Committee (LNC) — the governing Board of America’s Third Party. Soon thereafter I was also elected Chairman of the Libertarian National Campaign Committee (LNCC). I was honored to be re-elected this past May to the LNC Board and LNCC Board.

      I dedicated myself to getting more media attention for the LP than anyone in our party’s history – and did so with about 4000 media appearances in the past four years. My libertarian commentaries now reach millions of Americans at places like FoxNews.com, The Washington Times, Newsmax.com, TownHall.com, TheBlaze.com, Breitbart.com, DailyCaller.com, PersonalLiberty.com, and many more.

      I sought a position in public office and was named by the Governor of Nevada to the Judicial Selection Commission in 2010, one of only two Libertarians nationwide to be given such an honor by their Governor.
      For me this has been a dream come true. I want to thank every Libertarian that voted for me in each of these elections, and the many words of support and encouragement you gave me. It was you who made this success possible. I will be forever grateful for the faith you placed in me.
      But it is now time for a change.

      Today I’m announcing the most important decision of my political career. Today I am stepping down from my roles in the LP, LNC, and LNCC. After six years of giving my heart and soul to our party, this decision does not come lightly. I leave with nothing but fond memories. I leave awed by the intensity, love, and loyalty of Libertarians, LP political candidates, LNC members, and LP leaders.

      The people I have worked with on the LNC and LNCC are warriors and patriots. I have met some of the most amazing people of my life. I hope to remain friends for the rest of our lives. I hope to work together to continue fighting for smaller government, expanded personal and economic freedoms, individual rights, and more power to the people.

      Like some of my political heroes who have fought the good fight for smaller government — Ron Paul, Senator Rand Paul, Senator Jim DeMint, and in earlier generations Ronald Reagan and Barry Goldwater — I have come to the conclusion that I’ll have more opportunity to elect good people and change the direction of this country outside of a third party.

      It is the exact same decision that Ron Paul (our former LP Presidential nominee) and his son U.S. Senator Rand Paul made. It is the decision that many libertarians have made- from David Koch (our former LP Vice Presidential nominee), to the founders of CATO. My personality is goal-oriented and highly competitive, and because of that, I aim for one metric as the indicator of success — winning elections to change public policy. My colleagues are correct when they state that there is no point to winning without a philosophical foundation rooted in liberty. But I believe it’s also correct to state there is little point to having such a philosophical foundation, if you are not going to use it to improve people’s everyday lives. I owe it to my four young children to try to actually elect people that can change policy and make a difference in their future.

      But regardless of any differences there might be in matters of strategy, I will always have fond memories of my six years with the Libertarian Party. I salute all of my colleagues as heroes fighting for liberty. The hard work you do day in and day out is nothing short of remarkable. I remain amazed and stunned at your level of loyalty and work ethic. I leave with only positive things to say about my LP experience.

      But I’m not really leaving. I am a Lifetime Libertarian Party member and will always call myself a REAGAN Libertarian, or Libertarian conservative. Just like a Congressman Ron Paul or U.S. Senator Rand Paul, I have simply decided to move my Libertarian beliefs and the fight for smaller government to a different battlefield.

      Nothing will change with my goals. I will work harder than ever to get more media exposure than ever before. I simply think my skills and media megaphone will be more productive in a different venue. It will be easier to get my message of limited government out to mainstream voters who remain skeptical, cynical, or oblivious to third party politics. And you can bet I’ll always support ballot access for third parties too.

      I want to do more than talk about issues without actually affecting them…and I want to do more than attempt to move policy in the right direction. I want to elect people to office with the aim of creating a country built upon smaller, more limited government; lower taxes; less spending; a stress on individual rights and States’ Rights versus an all-powerful federal government; a balanced budget; more economic and personal freedom; energy independence; school choice; and the principles of our Founding Fathers as embodied in the U.S. Constitution.

      Perhaps most importantly, I want to restore a free market economy – one based on supporting the private sector, taxpayers, job creators, small business owners, and capitalism. History demonstrates time and again that the economics and politics of envy – taking wealth from those who have earned it and redistributing to those have not – leads to massive failure, economic collapse and eventually totalitarian government. And in the absence of economic liberty, personal liberty ceases to exist.

      After all, can one really have freedom of the press if it’s illegal to own one? I want to be in a leadership position in American politics to reverse the course our country is traveling down the Road to Serfdom, and to save the future for my four beautiful, wonderful children.

      To save our country and restore liberty, I have come to realize that I need to take practical steps to win office myself, so I can have a direct effect on the future of America. I plan to join Tea Party U.S. Senators like Rand Paul, Jim DeMint, Marco Rubio and Mike Lee in the near future, representing the great state of Nevada.

      Do those elected officials have imperfections in their beliefs or their track records? Absolutely! Every politician does. But I don’t see how one can make progress by demanding nothing less than perfection from others. Effective politics is about finding where you agree with others, and working with them to achieve mutual goals.

      I wish you all my best. And I sincerely hope there will be opportunities to work together to save our country, our economy, our Constitution, and make this world a more Libertarian place for ourselves and our children.

      God Bless.

      In Liberty,

      Wayne
      Wayne Allyn Root
      2008 Libertarian Vice Presidential Nominee

    • Fred Mangels
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2012
        Whatever.

        On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Bruce Cohen <brucedcohen2002@...>wrote:

> [...]
        > like Rand Paul, Jim DeMint, Marco Rubio and Mike Lee in the near future,
        > representing the great state of Nevada.
        >
        > Do those elected officials have imperfections in their beliefs or their
        > track records? Absolutely! Every politician does. But I don�t see how one
        > can make progress by demanding nothing less than perfection from others.
        > Effective politics is about finding where you agree with others, and
        > working with them to achieve mutual goals.
        >
        > I wish you all my best. And I sincerely hope there will be opportunities
        > to work together to save our country, our economy, our Constitution, and
        > make this world a more Libertarian place for ourselves and our children.
        >
        > God Bless.
        >
        > In Liberty,
        >

        > Wayne
        > Wayne Allyn Root
        > 2008 Libertarian Vice Presidential Nominee

      • Tim Campbell
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2012
          I am finding myself ever more closer to this same decision... although I still gave some money to Gary Johnson and the National LP.... I have the same frustrations with those anarcho types who demand perfect 100/100 libertarian scores on Nolan Chart. I will help David Pangrac for Congress here in Arkansas because it is a great opportunity, but I think I'll have more success outside the LP then I ever will IN it. Right now I consider myself a bit of a political free lancer. I want to help liberty candidates no matter their party label.

          TJ Campbell

          “Do not mistake activity for achievement”
          – John Wooden