Some Great News From National

  • Peace And Prosperity Partners
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2011
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      May 12, 2011

      Contact: Wes Benedict, Executive Director
      E-mail: wes.benedict@...
      Phone: 202-333-0008 ext. 222

      Libertarian Party builds big war chest for 2012

      WASHINGTON - In its most recent FEC report, for the period ending March 31, 2011, the Libertarian Party reported $284,882.95 in cash with $0 in debt. At the same point four years ago, the party reported $21,962.37 in cash with $31,589.74 in debt.

      Libertarian Party Chair Mark Hinkle said, "Four years ago, we were $10,000 in the red. Now we're almost $300,000 in the black. That's a big step forward for the LP, and should help us a lot going into the 2012 campaign.

      "If our candidates, volunteers, and donors keep it up, 2012 may be one of the biggest years ever for the Libertarian Party.

      "Libertarian candidates deliver a huge bang for the buck. Dollar for dollar, our candidates get more votes than Republicans or Democrats. Libertarian candidates change the debate, swing the outcomes of races, and sometimes win.

      "If you don't believe me, ask the Democratic Party operatives who sent mailers in several congressional districts last fall, telling voters that our candidates would shrink government more than the Republicans."

      Hinkle added, "A lot of our war chest is going to be used for ballot access. Many people are unaware that the Republican and Democratic parties have free access to the ballot, but the Libertarian Party has to struggle through massive petition drives."

      The Libertarian National Committee recently set a goal of getting 200 Libertarian candidates on the ballot for U.S. House in 2012.

      Libertarian percentages in three-way races for U.S. House have been on an upward trend: in 2004, they got an average of 2.30%; in 2006, 2.74%; in 2008, 2.97%; in 2010, 3.40%. (That only includes races where the Republican, Democrat, and Libertarian together got at least 99.9% of the vote.)

      Every four years since 1988, the Libertarian Party's presidential nominee has been on the ballot in at least 44 states. Except for the Republicans and Democrats, no other political party has come close to that track record.

      For more information, or to arrange an interview, call LP Executive Director Wes Benedict at 202-333-0008 ext. 222.

      The LP is America's third-largest political party, founded in 1971. The Libertarian Party stands for free markets, civil liberties, and peace. You can find more information on the Libertarian Party at our website. https://www.lp.org

      ###
      P.S. If you have not already done so, please join the Libertarian Party - https://www.lp.org/membership . We are the only political party dedicated to free markets and civil liberties. You can also renew your membership - https://www.lp.org/membership . Or, you can make a contribution separate from membership - https://www.lp.org/contribute .
    • amrcheck
      Message 2 of 9 , May 14, 2011
        I really hope that the membership solicitation at the end of this post was tacked on by the forwarder, and was not part of the original.

        Kinda tacky, otherwise, to be asking for money while supposedly advising the press.

        Allen Rice

        --- In westcoastlibertarians@yahoogroups.com, "Peace And Prosperity Partners" <peaceandprosperitypartners@...> wrote:

        > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
        >
        > May 12, 2011
        >
        > Contact: Wes Benedict, Executive Director
        > E-mail: wes.benedict@...
        > Phone: 202-333-0008 ext. 222
        >
        > Libertarian Party builds big war chest for 2012
        >
        > WASHINGTON - In its most recent FEC report, for the period ending March 31, 2011, the Libertarian Party reported $284,882.95 in cash with $0 in debt. At the same point four years ago, the party reported $21,962.37 in cash with $31,589.74 in debt.
        >
        > Libertarian Party Chair Mark Hinkle said, "Four years ago, we were $10,000 in the red. Now we're almost $300,000 in the black. That's a big step forward for the LP, and should help us a lot going into the 2012 campaign.
        >
        > "If our candidates, volunteers, and donors keep it up, 2012 may be one of the biggest years ever for the Libertarian Party.
        >
        > "Libertarian candidates deliver a huge bang for the buck. Dollar for dollar, our candidates get more votes than Republicans or Democrats. Libertarian candidates change the debate, swing the outcomes of races, and sometimes win.
        >
        > "If you don't believe me, ask the Democratic Party operatives who sent mailers in several congressional districts last fall, telling voters that our candidates would shrink government more than the Republicans."
        >
        > Hinkle added, "A lot of our war chest is going to be used for ballot access. Many people are unaware that the Republican and Democratic parties have free access to the ballot, but the Libertarian Party has to struggle through massive petition drives."
        >
        > The Libertarian National Committee recently set a goal of getting 200 Libertarian candidates on the ballot for U.S. House in 2012.
        >
        > Libertarian percentages in three-way races for U.S. House have been on an upward trend: in 2004, they got an average of 2.30%; in 2006, 2.74%; in 2008, 2.97%; in 2010, 3.40%. (That only includes races where the Republican, Democrat, and Libertarian together got at least 99.9% of the vote.)
        >
        > Every four years since 1988, the Libertarian Party's presidential nominee has been on the ballot in at least 44 states. Except for the Republicans and Democrats, no other political party has come close to that track record.
        >
        > For more information, or to arrange an interview, call LP Executive Director Wes Benedict at 202-333-0008 ext. 222.
        >
        > The LP is America's third-largest political party, founded in 1971. The Libertarian Party stands for free markets, civil liberties, and peace. You can find more information on the Libertarian Party at our website. https://www.lp.org
        >

        > ###
        > P.S. If you have not already done so, please join the Libertarian Party - https://www.lp.org/membership . We are the only political party dedicated to free markets and civil liberties. You can also renew your membership - https://www.lp.org/membership . Or, you can make a contribution separate from membership - https://www.lp.org/contribute .

      • Bruce Cohen
        Message 3 of 9 , May 15, 2011
          The original email is quite disinegenuous.
          It implies that the current LNC raised the money and in fact,
          they are spending money faster than they raise it.

          They owe a huge debt of gratitude to the previous LNC.
          They are the ones this current LNC inherited the cash from.

> [...]

          > For more information, or to arrange an interview, call LP Executive Director Wes Benedict at 202-333-0008 ext. 222.
          >
          > The LP is America's third-largest political party, founded in 1971. The Libertarian Party stands for free markets, civil liberties, and peace. You can find more information on the Libertarian Party at our website. https://www.lp.org
          >

          > ###
          > P.S. If you have not already done so, please join the Libertarian Party - https://www.lp.org/membership . We are the only political party dedicated to free markets and civil liberties. You can also renew your membership - https://www.lp.org/membership . Or, you can make a contribution separate from membership - https://www.lp.org/contribute .

        • Harland Harrison
          Message 4 of 9 , May 15, 2011
            Bruce, the donations came from the membership, not the Committee.
            (I sent my check because I got a job.)

            To answer Allen's question, the press release does not have the PS on the
            website:

            http://www.lp.org/news/press-releases/libertarian-party-builds-big-war-chest-for-2012

            However, the original email I received from LP on May 12 did. Several other
            press releases have had that same PS also. I assume it only goes to those on
            a membership list, and not to reporters.

            Harland Harrison
            LP of San Mateo County CA

            Does anyone have

            Message 5 of 9 , May 15, 2011
              The Donations were largely given by Members, as Membership
              dues, one way or another.

              But I was giving 'credit' to the very hard work the previous
              LNC Board did in getting the Members to contribute.

              Certainly it doesn't appear that Mark/Wes are doing as
              well or as much.

              And certainly, the balance they brag about today is virtually
              the same as what they 'inherited'.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 15, 2011
                Well, I think Mark Hinkle and Wes Benedict are doing a great job! The press,
                anyway, does not care about our internal politics. The LNC message tells us to
                pitch in and the world to pay attention to the big L behind candidates' names.
                What could be better?

                Harland Harrison

                Message 7 of 9 , May 16, 2011
                  "What could be better?"

                  A credible set of policies, not so steeped in ideology that the average voter can legitimately cry "nutcases!", and turn to the sports pages.

                  Allen Rice

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 16, 2011
                    They are bragging about the war chest, intimating they
                    are the ones who built it.

                    That's dishonest and we would get picked apart by
                    the Press if we got much more than 1/4% in national
                    elections or really, credible results anywhere.

                    Our lack of success insulates us somewhat for getting
                    caught 'lying'.  Not much of a silver lining.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 16, 2011
                      Maybe we are "nutcases". Obama says I should have my head examined for thinking
                      Osama bin Laden should not have been murdered. I hope Obama does not want to
                      examine my head at Gitmo.

                      I only meant to praise the LNC message BELOW, not everything made public.

                      They do seem to inject a coherent set of policies into the news stream. When
                      everyone was hearing about birth certificates and commando raids, the LP press
                      releases added libertarian solutions to real policy issues:

                      http://www.lp.org/blogs/staff/lp-monday-message-20-obama-problems-20-libertarian-solutions

                      http://www.lp.org/news/press-releases/libertarian-party-celebrates-end-of-bin-laden-era

                      Of course, the LP does not have the most complete set of credible policies in
                      place, but that should be done by the Platform

                      Harland Harrison