LPCA Minutes: The Dog Ate My Homework!

  • Bruce Cohen
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 10, 2011
      For those of you not reading the three day live blogcast
      on IPR (www.IndependentPoliticalReport.com), for the
      annual Takenaga Train Wreck (also known as the LPCA
      Annual Convention)...

      The short version is that Kevin hadn't coughed up the
      minutes for the LPCA Board Meetings for over a year.

      Tellingly, Kevin has always run on an "open and
      transparent" platform and accused me and Aaron
      Starr of hiding things.

      Terrible financials and just barely anything to look at.
      But at least something.

      But NO minutes, they are GONE GONE GONZO!

      Following is what I posted on IPR about the matter:

      Juicy and suspicious too, that for the first time in
      memory anyone has lost LPCA Board of Directors
      Minutes.

      Ever?!

      I pretty much think so.

      EVER that I know of.
      At least ever when they were due.

      I’ve been asking about this for a very long time
      and now we find out they are using the ‘dog ate my homework’ excuse.

      But, it gets better.

      You all think I’m repeating myself.

      Well, I’m not.

      Mike Seebeck, Kevin’s very polite, cheerful and friendly
      Chief Apologist and recently thrown under the bus by
      Kevin in favor of Matthew’s pick; had something to say
      bout people who don’t have their recordkeeping together.

      Libertarians, no less.

      Regarding organizational minutes.

      And quite recently as well.
      Yeah, like TODAY.

      I’d like to quote Michael Seebeck:
      “Lack of minutes and proper recordkeeping does not create
      an excuse for the action or a way around it, either.”

      I rest my damn case.

    • amrcheck
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 11, 2011
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

        --- In westcoastlibertarians@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Cohen <brucedcohen2002@...> wrote:

        > For those of you not reading the three day live blogcast
        > on IPR (www.IndependentPoliticalReport.com), for the
        > annual Takenaga Train Wreck (also known as the LPCA
        > Annual Convention)...
        >
        > The short version is that Kevin hadn't coughed up the
        > minutes for the LPCA Board Meetings for over a year.
        >
        > Tellingly, Kevin has always run on an "open and
        > transparent" platform and accused me and Aaron
        > Starr of hiding things.
        >
        > Terrible financials and just barely anything to look at.
        > But at least something.
        >
        > But NO minutes, they are GONE GONE GONZO!
        >
        > Following is what I posted on IPR about the matter:
        >

        > Juicy and suspicious too, that for the first time in
        > memory anyone has lost LPCA Board of Directors
        > Minutes.
        >
        > Ever?!
        >
        > I pretty much think so.
        >
        > EVER that I know of.
        > At least ever when they were due.
        >
        > I’ve been asking about this for a very long time
        > and now we find out they are using the ‘dog ate my homework’ excuse.
        >
        > But, it gets better.
        >
        > You all think I’m repeating myself.
        >
        > Well, I’m not.
        >
        > Mike Seebeck, Kevin’s very polite, cheerful and friendly
        > Chief Apologist and recently thrown under the bus by
        > Kevin in favor of Matthew’s pick; had something to say
        > bout people who don’t have their recordkeeping together.
        >
        > Libertarians, no less.
        >
        > Regarding organizational minutes.
        >
        > And quite recently as well.
        > Yeah, like TODAY.
        >
        > I’d like to quote Michael Seebeck:
        > “Lack of minutes and proper recordkeeping does not create
        > an excuse for the action or a way around it, either.”
        >
        > I rest my damn case.

      • Bruce Cohen
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 11, 2011
          Ah yes, the same old smear.

          Nobody who used to be involved or who has ever run for office
          and not won can criticize, comment or question anything, right?

          By that token, Wayne Root is not allowed to criticize or discuss
          Obama, because it's sour grapes.

          And Kevin can 'lose' over a years worth of supposedly precious
          and important minutes for all of the business he conducted and
          all the motions and discussions and votes.

          What a pile of BS.

          People went insane over the recordkeeping when I was
          involved and would have meltdowns if the minutes weren't
          posted on the website immediately.

          Nobody can criticize Obama on his Foreign Policy and
          nobody can criticize Kevin for 'losing his homework'.

          Yeah sour grapes.
          LOL

          And even if it were, it doesn't lessen the fact that
          something is very very wrong, and it's a lot deeper
          than the Matthew Barnes scandal.

          The Matt Barnes thing is just a symptom of the problem.

          No grapes, just the facts.

          > For those of you not reading the three day live blogcast
          > on IPR (www.IndependentPoliticalReport.com), for the
          > annual Takenaga Train Wreck (also known as the LPCA
          > Annual Convention)...
          >
          > The short version is that Kevin hadn't coughed up the
          > minutes for the LPCA Board Meetings for over a year.
          >
          > Tellingly, Kevin has always run on an "open and
          > transparent" platform and accused me and Aaron
          > Starr of hiding things.
          >
          > Terrible financials and just barely anything to look at.
          > But at least something.
          >
          > But NO minutes, they are GONE GONE GONZO!
          >
          > Following is what I posted on IPR about the matter:
          >

          > Juicy and suspicious too, that for the first time in
          > memory anyone has lost LPCA Board of Directors
          > Minutes.
          >
          > Ever?!
          >
          > I pretty much think so.
          >
          > EVER that I know of.
          > At least ever when they were due.
          >
          > I’ve been asking about this for a very long time
          > and now we find out they are using the ‘dog ate my homework’ excuse.
          >
          > But, it gets better.
          >
          > You all think I’m repeating myself.
          >
          > Well, I’m not.
          >
          > Mike Seebeck, Kevin’s very polite, cheerful and friendly
          > Chief Apologist and recently thrown under the bus by
          > Kevin in favor of Matthew’s pick; had something to say
          > bout people who don’t have their recordkeeping together.
          >
          > Libertarians, no less.
          >
          > Regarding organizational minutes.
          >
          > And quite recently as well.
          > Yeah, like TODAY.
          >
          > I’d like to quote Michael Seebeck:
          > “Lack of minutes and proper recordkeeping does not create
          > an excuse for the action or a way around it, either.”
          >
          > I rest my damn case.

        • Brian Ryman
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 11, 2011
            Bruce...
            I feel that your arguments would carry more weight if you didn't have to bring up Matt Barnes in all your posts. Your obsession seems practically clinical and it detracts from any point you are trying to make.

            Brian W. Ryman
            19523 Chamisal Street
            El Mirage, CA 92301

            From: amrcheck <amrcheck@...>

            To: westcoastlibertarians@yahoogroups.com

            Date: Monday, April 11, 2011, 9:47 AM

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

            --- In westcoastlibertarians@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Cohen <brucedcohen2002@...> wrote:

            > For those of you not reading the three day live blogcast

            > on IPR (www.IndependentPoliticalReport.com), for the

            > annual Takenaga Train Wreck (also known as the LPCA

            > Annual Convention)...

            > The short version is that Kevin hadn't coughed up the

            > minutes for the LPCA Board Meetings for over a year.

            > Tellingly, Kevin has always run on an "open and

            > transparent" platform and accused me and Aaron

            > Starr of hiding things.

            > Terrible financials and just barely anything to look at.

            > But at least something.

            > But NO minutes, they are GONE GONE GONZO!

            > Following is what I posted on IPR about the matter:

            > Juicy and suspicious too, that for the first time in

            > memory anyone has lost LPCA Board of Directors

            > Minutes.

            > Ever?!

            > I pretty much think so.

            > EVER that I know of.

            > At least ever when they were due.

            > I’ve been asking about this for a very long time

            > and now we find out they are using the ‘dog ate my homework’ excuse.

            > But, it gets better.

            > You all think I’m repeating myself.

            > Well, I’m not.

            > Mike Seebeck, Kevin’s very polite, cheerful and friendly

            > Chief Apologist and recently thrown under the bus by

            > Kevin in favor of Matthew’s pick; had something to say

            > bout people who don’t have their recordkeeping together.

            > Libertarians, no less.

            > Regarding organizational minutes.

            > And quite recently as well.

            > Yeah, like TODAY.

            > I’d like to quote Michael Seebeck:

            > “Lack of minutes and proper recordkeeping does not create

            > an excuse for the action or a way around it, either.”

            > I rest my damn case.

          • Bruce Cohen
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 11, 2011
              Hey thanks, Brian.

              I see your point and agree with you only so far.

              The fact is that Mister Barnes is still deeply involved in
              LPCA Politics and there is more that will be coming out.

              My obsession is with freedom.
              My tool is/was/could be the LP and the LPCA.

              The mismanagement of the tool and all the wasted
              leverage it could be exerting on the state is what
              I am obsessed about.

              Certainly Aaron and I were not the worlds best Mangers
              But we never had the dog eat our homework and we
              certainly feel we had a lot more deliverables and influence.

              Finally, in my defense, the sort of trailing PS comment
              I made was saying that MB wasn't the issue, and only
              a symptom of a deeper problem.  Check it and thanks!

              > For those of you not reading the three day live blogcast

              > on IPR (www.IndependentPoliticalReport.com), for the

              > annual Takenaga Train Wreck (also known as the LPCA

              > Annual Convention)...

              > The short version is that Kevin hadn't coughed up the

              > minutes for the LPCA Board Meetings for over a year.

              > Tellingly, Kevin has always run on an "open and

              > transparent" platform and accused me and Aaron

              > Starr of hiding things.

              > Terrible financials and just barely anything to look at.

              > But at least something.

              > But NO minutes, they are GONE GONE GONZO!

              > Following is what I posted on IPR about the matter:

              > Juicy and suspicious too, that for the first time in

              > memory anyone has lost LPCA Board of Directors

              > Minutes.

              > Ever?!

              > I pretty much think so.

              > EVER that I know of.

              > At least ever when they were due.

              > I’ve been asking about this for a very long time

              > and now we find out they are using the ‘dog ate my homework’ excuse.

              > But, it gets better.

              > You all think I’m repeating myself.

              > Well, I’m not.

              > Mike Seebeck, Kevin’s very polite, cheerful and friendly

              > Chief Apologist and recently thrown under the bus by

              > Kevin in favor of Matthew’s pick; had something to say

              > bout people who don’t have their recordkeeping together.

              > Libertarians, no less.

              > Regarding organizational minutes.

              > And quite recently as well.

              > Yeah, like TODAY.

              > I’d like to quote Michael Seebeck:

              > “Lack of minutes and proper recordkeeping does not create

              > an excuse for the action or a way around it, either.”

              > I rest my damn case.

            • amrcheck
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 11, 2011
                "...the LP and the LPCA. The mismanagement of the tool and all the wasted leverage it could be exerting on the state is what
                I am obsessed about."

                Delusions of grandeur. The named groups have all the potential political leverage of a piece of spaghetti...cooked.

                Allen Rice

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 11, 2011
                  Hey fair enough, Allen.

                  But I believe the party COULD and SHOULD have leverage.

                  I've done things with the bully pulpit afforded me as an LP
                  'Officer' at various levels.

                  We can and should be involved in the political process.
                  Sure I'm frustrated with the current lack of success, but
                  it's not sour grapes.

                  I don't want to be Chair.
                  I want Aaron or some other honest, grownup, professional
                  who knows how to act in public and returns phone calls.

                  But I guess that's too much to ask and I live in an alternate
                  fantasy reality.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 12, 2011
                    Bruce,

                    Like you (but admittedly not as long or intensely)I have spent time in the LP officer barrel, at both the state and county Exec levels.

                    From that experience I took 3 lessons:

                    1) The LP "brand" is actually injurious to any candidate really wishing to be elected. The Party is seen to be an extreme right-wing collection of anarchists; a candidate admitting to membership in or sympathy with it will spend a lot of his/her time apologizing for that, and not enough dealing with the issues.

                    2) The Party is politically impotent internally, because of the never-ending strife between the "purists" and the "pragmatists". Any "victory" by one side immediately puts the other into a state of rebellion, struggling mightily to "take back the Party". Practical politics is consistently put on hold until the "real" Libertarians are back in charge of the teapot.

                    3) The Party currently operates in a foolishly hierarchical way. The State Exec in fact has only 3 responsibilities: 1) to find credible candidates for state office every four years, 2) keep the Party financially sound, and 3) keep the Party credible as a political organization per the requirements of the state of California. A moment's thought would make clear that the State Exec cannot possibly take responsibility for finding candidates to run for the many thousands of city, county, or agency positions. If support for candidates is indeed required, it should come from the candidates' local county execs. And even then, for most counties, if I were a candidate, I'd steer clear of any public connection (see point 1).

                    Allen Rice

                  • fredtyg@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 12, 2011
                      Allen wrote, "The LP "brand" is actually injurious to any candidate really wishing to be elected".

                      Regardless of that, my personal experience has shown the best candidates to be those that run on their own, without any influence from the LP. That's actually a no- brainer when you think about it since that person is self- motivated, likely has established roots in the community and probably has at least some support to begin with.

                      That said, recruiting candidates can be successful or a bit embarrassing.

                      I remember some years ago a local senior guy was recruited by Ted Brown to run for our local Harbor Conservation and Recreation District. Not only was he way over his head in running for an office he knew next to nothing about, running against well qualified candidates, it was rather embarrassing to read an interview with him in our local paper where he was asked why he was running for the office. He replied, "Because the Libertarian Party asked me to.". Yikes!

                      On the up side, a few years ago Ted Brown blind called a younger fellow and asked him if he might be interested in running for the Mckinleyville Community Services District. It had a couple open seats. He actually became interested after Ted told him about it, ran for the seat and won with no mention of the Libertarian Party. He was treated quite well by the press until he abruptly had to move out of state to take care of his ailing mother months after being elected.

                      When he first decided to run he told an acquaintance of his (another registered LP voter) about what he was planning. That fellow also became interested in the idea and filed papers to run on his own. He was elected later- the only mention of the LP being an interview in a local tabloid where he was identified as a libertarian. I believe he still sits on the Mckinleville Community Services District today, although I'm not entirely sure.

                      Fred from Humboldt

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 12, 2011
                        ... the best candidates to be those that run on their own, without any influence from the LP. That's actually a no- brainer when you think about it since that person is self- motivated, likely has established roots in the community and probably has at least some support to begin with."

                        Absolutely.