Fwd: Another Vote On Limiting Free Speech

  • Scott Darby
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2006
      Gun Owners of America <Gun_Owners_of_America@...> wrote:To: "Scott Darby" <darby700@...>
      Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:12:46 -0400 (EDT)

      House To Vote This Week On Further Limiting Free Speech

      Remember the Swift Boat Veterans?

      After a presidential election which was determined by fewer than
      120,000 Ohio voters, it is clear that George Bush is president of the
      United States -- rather than John Kerry -- because of the swift boat
      veterans and because of pro-gun support.

      For their part, the swift boat veterans formed a political
      organization under section 527 of the Internal Revenue Code -- and
      their organization was therefore called a "527."

      Shortly, the House of Representatives will consider legislation (HR
      513) which would regulate "527 organizations" -- like the
      Swift Boat
      Veterans -- as severely as the most heavily regulated political
      groups in the country. The result could be to effectively eliminate
      organizations like the Swift Boat Veterans.

      It is clear that the enemies of Free Speech are choosing their
      targets strategically. First, Senators like John McCain regulated
      (in 2002) the ability of groups such as GOA to use radio and TV to
      criticize any candidate before an election.

      Then, earlier this year, McCain & Co. wanted to further regulate GOA
      and similar organizations by requiring them to register their
      "grassroots" communications with their members and to file twice as
      many frivolous reports.

      Now, this new legislation (HR 513) would try to strengthen the
      Anti-Free Speech beachhead to limit even more avenues to free speech.

      The restrictions on our liberties need to end here.

      Really, this battle is similar to the battle to preserve our gun
      rights. Anti-gunners have fought a guerilla type of warfare,
      chipping away at our gun rights with piecemeal legislation. Some gun
      owners -- who didn't own ranch rifles or AR-15s or other so-called
      assault weapons -- were lulled to sleep for a time and thought that
      the anti's weren't really interested in their hunting shotguns or
      rifles.

      They soon found out they were mistaken. And it just shows, once
      again, that when the anti's get a beachhead, they don't stop there.
      They keep coming and coming.

      That's why we must now fight this battle to preserve another bastion
      of Free Speech. It is our constitutional right -- it is not a
      "privilege" to be expanded or contracted based on the impact on the
      party in power.

      ACTION: Please use the pre-written letter below to help direct your
      comments to your representative. Ask him to oppose H.R. 513 which
      would limit the constitutional Free Speech of "527 organizations"
      like the Swift Boat Veterans.

      You can visit the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at
      http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm to send your Representatives a
      pre-written e-mail message such as the one below.

      And, you can call your Representative toll-free at 1-877-762-8762.

      ----- Pre-written letter -----

      Dear Representative:

      The House will soon consider legislation (HR 513) which would
      regulate "527 organizations" -- like the Swift Boat Veterans -- as
      severely as the most heavily regulated political groups in the
      country. The result could be to effectively eliminate organizations
      like the Swift Boat Veterans.

      I would urge you to oppose that legislation.

      Free Speech is a constitutional right -- not a "privilege" to be
      expanded or contracted based on the impact on the party in power.
      Thank you.

      Sincerely,

      *****************************
      "Live Fire" radio with Larry Pratt is broadcast by the Information
      Radio Network on Saturdays at 12:00 Noon Eastern. "Live Fire" is
      simulcast on the web at http://inforadionet.com and previous episodes
      are archived at http://www.soundwaves2000.com/livefire/ in RealAudio.
      Recent guests and topics have included:

      * Jim Jacobson: Christian Burmese refugees defined as terrorists for
      resisting genocide -- by US government

      * Dr. William Watkins: How much power for Washington -- same
      disagreement in the 1790's as the 21st century

      * Joseph Klein: The UN's stealth assault on US freedoms and guns

      * Anna Zetchus Raetz of Liberty Belles: Beating back the Million Mom
      March

      the subject line or use the url below.

      Problems, questions or comments? The main GOA e-mail address
      goamail@... is at your disposal. Please do not add that
      address to distribution lists sending more than ten messages per
      week or lists associated with issues other than gun rights.

      ---
      If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please visit
      http://capwiz.com/gunowners/lmx/u/?jobid=67497740&queueid=677532461.

      Scott Darby
      Darby700@...
      Stop the FTAA--the end of our national independence
      www.stoptheftaa.org