KARL HESS CLUB Monday February 21, 2005 ennouncement

  • Blumstein
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      From: mikeeverling <mikeeverling@...>

      KARL HESS CLUB
      The Year of Ayn Rand

      Please plan to attend the 128th monthly meeting of the Karl Hess Club
      Monday, February 21, 2005 at 7:00 p.m.(Cocktails at 6:00 p.m.)!

      KARL HESS CLUB PROGRAM INFORMATION

      Dr. Kelley L. Ross on "Rand in Perspective"
      This month we are most favored with the presence of a local
      libertarian eminence in Dr. Ross as we continue in our theme of "The
      Year of Ayn Rand," celebrating Rand's centenary.
      Ayn Rand was born February 2,1905 in St. Petersburg, in what was then
      Czarist Russia. From time to time throughout the year we will be
      presenting programs and speakers relating in some way to Ayn Rand and
      objectivism.
      Dr. Ross will critique Rand from the viewpoint of a professional
      philosopher (tenured full-time instructor at Valley College) who is
      also a practicing libertarian, being a political activist in the
      Libertarian Party (something Rand would have eschewed) and a frequent
      candidate for public office.

      Having started a conversion from a liberal orientation in the early
      nineties through the writings of Karl Popper and Frederick Hayek,
      Ross credits Rand
      for having provided, specifically through Atlas Shrugged, "the
      emotional shove that would push me over into real political activism."

      If the compelling nature of her writing is seen as a virtue, still
      "the harsh certainty of an autodidact and self-made person, and the
      high handed authoritarian manner of Rand's personality, worked
      against her case, her cause, and her life," according to Ross.
      We expect our discussion to touch upon such elements of Rand's
      literary method and philosophy and their limitations, as well as
      their ramifications on the field of politics, especially during the
      Cold War period and its aftermath.
      Please join us for what promises to be a unique exploration of Rand's
      life and letters, warts and all, even as we acknowledge her to be, as
      Ross says: "An inspiring advocate for the free market and for the
      creativity of the autonomous individual."

      ABOUT KELLEY ROSS

      "Je Maintiendrai" <http://www.friesian.com/ross/orange.htm>

      <JavaScript:popup('../images/ross.jpg','ross','resizable,width=390,height=552')>
      Kelley L. Ross, Ph.D., Department of Philosophy, Los Angeles Valley
      College, Van Nuys, California 91401-4096, (818) 947-2467 (voicemail
      available), DrKelley at AOL.com <http://www.friesian.com/#contact>

      My family has been a part of the history of Southern California ever
      since my great uncle, R.L. "Les" Kelley
      <http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.sp?kbb&&375&history>, began
      selling Model T Fords in 1918. Later his business grew into the
      largest car dealership in the world. Les Kelley Ford and the Kelley
      Kar Company occupied most of the block at Pico and Figueroa, where
      the Los Angeles Convention Center now stands.

      Les's practice of supplying information on used car prices grew into
      the Kelley Blue Book <http://www.kbb.com/>. For many years the Blue
      Book was edited by my father, also named Kelley L. Ross, until his
      death in 1980. The Blue Book is still managed by my cousins in the
      Kelley family.

      Born: October 4, 1949
      <JavaScript:popup('astrolog.gif','astrolog','resizable,scrollbars,width=683,height=523')>,
      the Feast Day of St. Francis of Assisi
      <http://www.friesian.com/ross/calif.htm>, in Hollywood, California

      Ulysses S. Grant <http://www.friesian.com/presiden.htm#18> High
      School, Van Nuys, California, 1964-1967

      The University of New Mexico <http://www.unm.edu/>, Albuquerque, New
      Mexico, 1967-68

      The University of California at Los Angeles <http://www.ucla.edu/>,
      Los Angeles, California, 1968-71; B.A. Magnâ cum Laude in an
      Individual Field (Classical and Middle Eastern History, Languages,
      and Philosophy), June 1971; Phi Beta Kappa

      The American University of Beirut <http://www.aub.edu.lb/>, Lebanon,
      on The University of California Education Abroad Program (EAP),
      1969-70

      <http://www.friesian.com/ross/ross-4.htm#makeli>The University of
      Hawaii at Mânoa <http://www.uhm.hawaii.edu/>, Honolulu, Hawaii
      <http://www.friesian.com/hawaii.htm>, 1972-74; National Defense
      Education Act (NDEA) Fellow, 1972-74; M.A. in Philosophy, May 1974

      The University of Texas <http://www.utexas.edu/>, Austin, Texas
      <JavaScript:popup('texas.gif','texas','resizable,width=576,height=368')>,
      1975-85; Ph.D. in Philosophy, May 1985;

      Full-Time Instructor (tenured), Los Angeles Valley College
      <http://www.friesian.com/valley/>, 5800 Fulton Ave., Van Nuys,
      California 91401, 1987-present

      Candidate <http://www.friesian.com/ross/CA40/>, 40th California State
      Assembly District, Libertarian Party <http://www.lp.org/>, 1994,
      1996, 1998, 2000

      Candidate <http://www.friesian.com/ross/CA40/>, 28th California
      Congressional District, Libertarian Party <http://www.lp.org/>, 2002,
      2004

      Founder, Publisher, & Editor, The Proceedings of the Friesian School,
      Fourth Series <http://www.friesian.com/>, 1996-present

      Married, June 22, 1991, to Jacqueline I. Stone
      <JavaScript:popup('jackie.gif','jackie','resizable,scrollbars,width=426,height=607')>,
      Ph.D., Department of Religion, Princeton University
      <http://www.princeton.edu/>, Princeton, New Jersey.

      For more on Kelley Ross, visit his fascinating website at:

      http://www.friesian.com/ross/

      For more detail on his commentary on Rand, go to:

      http://www.friesian.com/rand.htm

      OF SPECIAL NOTE

      Our new website located at http://www.KarlHessClub.org is up and
      running, and the site will continue to evolve over the next several
      months. Thanks and kudos go to webmaster Tom Sipos and development
      manager Steve Reed for their special efforts in getting this project
      underway.

      Check the website a few times each month or more often in order to
      get the latest word on club programs and activities. By next month,
      we will be announcing additional services available on the or through
      the site.

      Once again, I invite any who would wish to assist in the development
      of this project and other services of the club to speak to Kent, Brad
      or me. We'll be happy to put you to work. Our priority initiatives
      right now are the website and associated activities, and the SEK3
      Memorial Chauntecleer award.

      Meanwhile, thanks again for your patience and support as we continue
      to build your club.
      ______

      Our continued appreciation to the staff and management of Marie
      Callender's over the last ten years and counting for their service
      and support. ______

      If you've had a good time at the club meeting, please tell your friends; if
      you didn't have a good time, please tell us! Thank you!
      ______

      Join us for our "Martini Time Cocktail Hour" in the Marie Callender's
      lounge at 6 p.m. We'll save a place at the rail for you!

      KARL HESS CLUB LOCATION INFORMATION

      The Karl Hess Club meets the Third Monday each Month in Marina del Rey
      at the Marie Callender's Restaurant 4356 Lincoln Boulevard Marina del
      Rey 90292 (310) 822-5956.

      The regular price of $20 covers the program of speakers, questions,
      announcements, an all-you-can-eat salad bar, meat entrée, soft
      beverage
      and a choice of three different pies. (Alcoholic beverages may be
      purchased directly from the servers or in the bar prior to or during
      the dinner.)

      REGULAR SCHEDULE
      6:00 p.m. Martini Time Cocktail Hour in the Marie Callender's Bar (No Host)
      7:00 p.m. Buffet (entree, bread, soup/salad bar, soft beverage and dessert)
      8:00 p.m. Announcements Agora; Acknowledgments and Appreciations
      8:15 p.m. Speaker: Dr. Kelley Ross with Brad Linaweaver as M.C. 9:15
      p.m. Questions and Answers 9:30 p.m. Mixing & Mingling
      10:00 p.m. Adjournment for Afters

      UPCOMING PROGRAMS

      129 March 21, 2005 J. Kent Hastings and Brad Linaweaver on "Anarquia"

      130 April 18, 2005 THE SAMUEL EDWARD KONKIN III MEMORIAL LECTURE

      131 May 16, 2005 Sharon Presley "Voltairine de Cleyre" BOOK SIGNING
      For information on the Karl Hess Club, contact Mike Everling at
      mikeeverling@... or (323) 225-3405 or go to:
      http://www.KarlHessClub.org

      DISCLAIMER

      Please be advised that the Karl Hess Club, its organizers,
      associates, vendors, and other participants warrant no liability for
      any loss or injury suffered by any attendee or other person by virtue
      of his or her attendance to and/or participation in the proceedings
      thereof.
      UNSUBSCRIBE/RESUBSCRIBE

      If for any reason you wish to be removed from this low volume, regular
      (twice a month) information list, please send an eMail to Mike
      Everling at <mikeeverling@...> and put "Please Unsubscribe"
      in the header.

      I will unhappily but promptly comply with your wishes. In order to
      resubscribe at any time, simply repeat the process with a request in
      the
      header to be added.
      If you experience any problems in receiving this message, please inform me.

      THANK YOU

      Your continued participation and loyal support of this organization is very
      much appreciated and is gratefully acknowledged by your humble
      servants, Master of Ceremonies Brad Linaweaver and Senior Facilitator
      Mike Everling.

      Founders: Samuel Edward Konkin III, J. Kent Hastings, Brad
      Linaweaver and Mike Everling
      "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no
      vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of
      justice is no virtue!"

      ~Karl Hess for Sen. Barry Goldwater; attribution to Cicero

      Karl Hess Club
      Founded April 30, 1994

      <http://www.friesian.com/ross/orange.htm>"Je Maintiendrai"

      available), <http://www.friesian.com/#contact>DrKelley at AOL.com

      My family has been a part of the history of Southern California ever
      since my great uncle,
      <http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.sp?kbb&&375&history>R.L. "Les"
      Kelley, began selling Model T Fords in 1918. Later his business grew

      the <http://www.kbb.com/>Kelley Blue Book. For many years the Blue
      Book was edited by my father, also named Kelley L. Ross, until his
      death in 1980. The Blue Book is still managed by my cousins in the
      Kelley family.

      Born:
       <JavaScript:popup('astrolog.gif','astrolog','resizable,scrollbars,width=683,height=523')>October
      4, 1949, the Feast Day of <http://www.friesian.com/ross/calif.htm>St.
      Francis of Assisi, in Hollywood, California

      <http://www.friesian.com/presiden.htm#18>Ulysses S. Grant High
      School, Van Nuys, California, 1964-1967

      <http://www.unm.edu/>The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New
      Mexico, 1967-68

      <http://www.ucla.edu/>The University of California at Los Angeles,

      <http://www.aub.edu.lb/>The American University of Beirut, Lebanon,

      <http://www.uhm.hawaii.edu/>The University of Hawaii at Mânoa,
      Honolulu, <http://www.friesian.com/hawaii.htm>Hawaii, 1972-74;
      National Defense Education Act (NDEA) Fellow, 1972-74; M.A. in
      Philosophy, May 1974

      <http://www.utexas.edu/>The University of Texas, Austin,
      <JavaScript:popup('texas.gif','texas','resizable,width=576,height=368')>Texas,
      1975-85; Ph.D. in Philosophy, May 1985;

      Full-Time Instructor (tenured), <http://www.friesian.com/valley/>Los
      Angeles Valley College, 5800 Fulton Ave., Van Nuys, California 91401,
      1987-present

      <http://www.friesian.com/ross/CA40/> Candidate, 40th California
      State Assembly District, <http://www.lp.org/>Libertarian Party, 1994,
      1996, 1998, 2000

      <http://www.friesian.com/ross/CA40/>Candidate, 28th California
      Congressional District, <http://www.lp.org/>Libertarian Party, 2002,
      2004

      Founder, Publisher, & Editor, <http://www.friesian.com/>The
      Proceedings of the Friesian School, Fourth Series, 1996-present

      Married, June 22, 1991, to
      <JavaScript:popup('jackie.gif','jackie','resizable,scrollbars,width=426,height=607')>Jacqueline
      I. Stone, Ph.D., Department of Religion,
      <http://www.princeton.edu/>Princeton University, Princeton, New
      Jersey.

      For more on Kelley Ross, visit his fascinating website at:
      <http://www.friesian.com/ross/>http://www.friesian.com/ross/

      For more detail on his commentary on Rand, go to:

      <http://www.friesian.com/rand.htm>http://www.friesian.com/rand.htm

      OF SPECIAL NOTE

      Our new website located at
      <http://www.KarlHessClub.org>http://www.KarlHessClub.org is up and
[...]