Gary Copeland's opinion on The Pledge Of Allegiance

  • sekalovesntn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 9:28 AM
      The following blurb is from today's (July 1, 2002) edition of the
      Sacramento Bee newspaper. There was a brief article concerning Gary
      Copeland's take on the recent controversy about The Pledge Of
      Allegiance.

      * * * * * * * * *

      "ONE NATION, UNDER DRUID...."

      While Gov. Gray Davis and GOP rival Bill Simon took turns last week
      bashing a federal court that ruled the Pledge of Allegiance
      unconstitutional, a lesser-known gubernatorial candidate praised the
      decision.

      Libertarian Gary Copeland, an observant Druid and self-described
      pagan, told supporters that the court's decision "is long overdue."

      "As a practicing Druid (pagan), I have always muted the words 'under
      God' when I spoke 'The Pledge of Allegiance,'" he wrote.

      The U.S. Supreme Court, which last week approved a school voucher
      program in another case involving church-state issues, gave Copeland
      another idea, he said.

      "What the (vouchers decision) basically said is, it's our time to
      form a school," he noted. "The schools in England were originally
      formed by the Druids 3,000 years ago."

      Steven Watanabe
      Member, Libertarian Party of Sacramento (Region 34)
      (http://www.sacto.com/lps)