Re: edsel

  • steve robinson
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
      Find all the seams, and weld them. Take a torch, and melt all the lead
      in the seams, first. Look where the different body parts would be
      joined together. Take out the body mounts, and put new gd.8 bolts/nuts
      up thru the floors. Use big washers on both ends. Or use 5/8 or so
      allthread. Weld everything you can. Then weld some more. Get it up
      high, as your rules allow. Put a good 5mph bumper on the front. Weld
      the spare tire cover down. Weld the doors/tailgate inside and out. Make
      a good safe cage system. At least a side to side bar where the dash is
      and behind the driver. Weld some plate steel, where the floor boards
      are. Bolt the hood down, with as many as you can. Take the hood springs
      out. Weld at least one bar, in front of the driver, from the roof to
      the bottom of the windshild. That should get you started.

      Steve

      In west_coast_derby_gallery@yahoogroups.com, "cowboy_up67357"
      <cowboy_up67357@y...> wrote:

      > how would you build an edsel wagon ?the floor boards are a little bit
      > rough but not bad yet .
    • rich lyon
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
        what derby are you going to run this animal all welded up and grade 8 bolts holding it together????  you forgot to tell him to cut the frame rails apart and fill it with steel.

        <cowboy_up67357@y...> wrote:

        > how would you build an edsel wagon ?the floor boards are a little bit
        > rough but not bad yet .

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Carl Bethke
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
          I ran a 1959 Edsel Ranger last year and wil again this year, (sedan), I took the ford motor out and put a chevy 305 in instead, I was able to run my normal headers and exhaust through the hood, I didn't need to do all the welding as you were told in the other response, it has a very tough front end and the rear is good if you get it up high enough, shackle it. I took out the 3:10 gears in the rearend an replaced them with 4:6 gears and a spool to give pos. to both sides without welding it.
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
            <cowboy_up67357@y...> wrote:

            > how would you make the headers for an edsel ? would you make them
            > zoomies or just stay with strate pipes ? and how do you make the bak
            > two post stiffer than what they are know ?

            If you have an edsel engine that runs good enough to derby, list it on
            e bay and take the $$ to buy a 350 318, 302 or whatever....then
            headers are everywhere...
          • carl mikkelsen
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
              Gear really wakes a car up.  But 4.6 is way too low.

              <cowboy_up67357@y...> wrote:

              > how would you make the headers for an edsel ? would you make them
              > zoomies or just stay with strate pipes ? and how do you make the bak
              > two post stiffer than what they are know ?

            • Ron Alley
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
                If your gonna run an edsel around this area,then it definitly needs to
                be all wleded up and then some.

                ron
              • steve robinson
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
                  I knew some of you guys would come up with more ideas.LOL
                  The ones I gave, are what I would do, if I had one. I did all that on a
                  58 Ford wagon I had, years ago. Only thing I didn't do, was the body
                  mounts/bolts. And bumper. But if I had one now, and it was allowed, I'd
                  do it. Only I wouldn't load the frame.

                  Steve