new member wanting info

  • fishbrain76
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
      Whats up? My name is scott ridley. Im from madera Ca. I ran three
      derbys in chowchilla. I ran a ford in 94, a chrysler cordoba in 97,
      and 69 pontiac catalina in 01. The cordoba was the best placed second
      in my heat and second in the main. I have three kids now so I havent
      ran since. I wanted know what the members thought about welding the
      rearend of my 84 ford ranger. My four wheeling buddy said it would
      break. Basically I welded my spider gears everywhere I could. Then I
      welded my spider gears to the housing. He said this is a big no no. I
      welded my three derby cars only the cordoba broke. But this car was
      very unusual it a 318 in rigged the manifold and added a holley 500 2
      barrel carb. The engine had many miles it would not idle or even run
      until it got hot. My dad said it was loose and when it got nice and
      hot it would have more compression. It was true the car got hot and
      hit 70mph in low gear. Back to the rearend I used a licoln 110 mig
      with shielde wire which I believe welds hotter than wire and gas. I
      turned it up all the way and put the wire speed on 3. I went four
      wheeling ,climbed rocks, mud boggeg and did a river run. I even out
      climbed a jeep. The other guys were impressed. My rearend is still
      allgood. Please write back and tell what you all think about the
      rearend in my ranger. Mistake or not! Thank you Scott Ridley.
    • Ron Alley
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
        Well,i myself would not weld up the spiders on something i would
        want reliable on the street,if its working for you,great. Derbys are
        fine,runnin in the mud,rock climbing,street driving,ect. You are at
        higher risk of breaking spiders and axles,ect.
        When you talk about shielded wire,are you talking about flux cored
        wire?
        I myself prefere to weld with gas,just seams like i cant get good
        welds or penitration out of non gas welding!
        Are you gonna run anymore derbys?

        ron
      • steve robinson
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
          Scott, If you're just using your truck for off road stuff, it should
          work just fine. But for regular everyday driving, I wouldn't have
          done it. If nothing else, it's going to raise heck with your tires.lol
          But it sounds like you welded them right, to me. Sounds like you had
          that 318 going right.
          Steve